Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-20-2023, 10:12 PM   #21
Shostak

Default Re: Two-handed Weapons Disincentivized

Yep. Those are huge swords with ample reach.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:47 AM   #22
hcobb

Quillons past the ricasso, marks a greatsword in TFT terms (historically always less than 9 pounds, but we're biasing the weight scales against large weapons).

Which has a reach of exactly one hex, see: https://www.hcobb.com//tft/images/greatsword.PNG
Old 03-21-2023, 09:05 AM   #23
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Quillons past the ricasso, marks a greatsword in TFT terms (historically always less than 9 pounds, but we're biasing the weight scales against large weapons).

Which has a reach of exactly one hex, see: https://www.hcobb.com//tft/images/greatsword.PNG
So, what I originally said stands. Two-handed swords reach in a swing attack is one hex (it reaches across the entire hex) and a jab attack could reach two hexes away depending upon the length of the blade.

The weight of these swords in ITL seem suspiciously excessive to me. Although swinging 4-8 pounds around is still not an easy task over a period of time. I recall when my brother and I used to box with 14 ounce gloves. after several minutes of that, even though they weren't really very heavy, your arms felt like noodles. Fortunately, most melee encounters last less than one minute of game time. Perhaps, this excessive weight is another disincentive for using two-handed weapons.

Your post implies that by design, ITL increased the weight of these weapons well above what was historically known to be true. That could bias the system to discourage their use. I can't blame this on Legacy ITL. Classic ITL posted the weights in kg which were effectively converted to lbs in Legacy ITL. As a result, I'm considering a reduction of these weights as a house rule.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 03-21-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advancement, characters, handicaps, talents, templates