Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Wavefunction

Default US Army Basic Training

Hi all,

I was hoping for some information as to what sort of Skills, Techniques, Perks, Advantages, etc... would be acquire through Basic Training. Looking at combat abilities and non-combat.

Some specific questions:

I know GURPS Martial Arts lists MCMAP, but that seems to be a completely different training program to the hand-to-hand taught in Basic Training, from what I can find online anyway.

Does Basic Training include knife fighting? It's recommended repeatedly for military styles throughout MA, but I can't find any mention of it in the descriptions I've found. If so, what techniques, perks, etc... would be included?

The bayonet fighting of Jukenjutsu also seems a bit off to represent american bayonet training, from what I've seen, the use of pugil sticks seems to be closer to the Staff skill than Spear, although both would probably be learnt. And what about Perks, none are listed for Jukenjutsu, but I would imagine something like Form Mastery/Grip Mastery would be popular for switching between use as a gun, and use as a spear/staff.

What about teamwork skills? The Teamwork Perk doesn't seem appropriate, but I feel there should be some way of representing the ability to work together effectively.

That's all the specific questions I can think of for now, but the more I know the better.

Thanks,
Wavefunction
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Adversary

Default Re: US Army Basic Training

I am the wrong person to answer, not having been through it. But I'd guess that rather than resulting in a set of nifty skills, perks, and advantages that create a character that looks like a low-point but efficient martial artist, you get something more like:

+1 health or fit
a point or two each in skills like hiking, land navigation, first aid, leadership, tactics, soldier, rifle, staff or axe/mace, brawling and/or wrestling

The buying off of disadvantages like reluctant killer, pacifist, combat paralysis, overweight, quirks having to do with slovenly appearance, etc.

The inculcating of the disadvantage Sense of Duty (unit/fellow soldiers).

Basic training is more about creating someone who can follow orders, live in the barracks, and hump a pack from here to there than it is about creating a badass fighter.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Rigil_Kent

A lot is going to depend on the nature of the Basic as well. The Army may say that Basic is the same across the board, but based on conversations I've had with non-infantry types, I'd say that's nonsense. Infantry Basic, for example, at Fort Benning, GA. is likely going to be a bit more difficult than non-infantry. Depends on the drills, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Does Basic Training include knife fighting?
No. We barely even touched on bayonets really.
Quote:
The bayonet fighting of Jukenjutsu also seems a bit off to represent american bayonet training, from what I've seen, the use of pugil sticks seems to be closer to the Staff skill than Spear, although both would probably be learnt. And what about Perks, none are listed for Jukenjutsu, but I would imagine something like Form Mastery/Grip Mastery would be popular for switching between use as a gun, and use as a spear/staff.
It's Basic. Under no circumstances should someone purchase anything Mastery. The drill sergeants are there to put the basic elements in place and then let your regular unit finish the training with on-the-job. At best, a would-be soldier might gain a passing familiarity with it, but I wouldn't recommend that. I was infantry and I'd already forgotten everything learned about bayonet training by the next week and it never came up during active duty, not even in training.
Quote:
What about teamwork skills? The Teamwork Perk doesn't seem appropriate, but I feel there should be some way of representing the ability to work together effectively.
Again, I'd say no. That should be reserved for active duty stations. An argument might be made for such a perk if you're using OSUT (one-station unit training) ala infantry, but for the most part, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I'd guess that rather than resulting in a set of nifty skills, perks, and advantages that create a character that looks like a low-point but efficient martial artist, you get something more like:

+1 health or fit
a point or two each in skills like hiking, land navigation, first aid, leadership, tactics, soldier, rifle, staff or axe/mace, brawling and/or wrestling

The buying off of disadvantages like reluctant killer, pacifist, combat paralysis, overweight, quirks having to do with slovenly appearance, etc.

The inculcating of the disadvantage Sense of Duty (unit/fellow soldiers).

Basic training is more about creating someone who can follow orders, live in the barracks, and hump a pack from here to there than it is about creating a badass fighter.
Agreed. I'd add Guns (Rifle) and Running to the skill list and limit the points spent in all skills except Guns (Rifle) & Soldier to 1. Guns (Rifle) and Soldier could be 2 or maybe even 4. I might even argue that you could add Throwing (Grenade) and Demolitions (Explosives), while dropping Staff and/or axe/mace. Hell, Brawling and Wrestling could go too...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

I'd give anyone fresh out of 'boot camp' (read Basic only):

Dabbler [1] Brawling 1, Guns (Longarm) 2, Hiking 1, Knife 1, Running 1, Soldier 2.

This doesn't cover what they'd learn from AIT (Advanced Individual Training), just the 10 weeks of BCT (Basic Combat Training). AIT is a strange part of Basic that can be as short as 4 weeks or last up to a year depending on MOS.

In the US Army, Infantry go through OSUT (One Station Unit Training) which keeps a unit together at one base and puts them through BCT and AIT together. Army Infantry AIT lasts 4 weeks (bring boot camp up to 14 weeks of training total).

For Infantry AIT I'd give:
Dabbler [1]: Driving (Automobile) 1, Engineer (Combat) 1, Electronics Operations (Communications) 1, Guns (Longarm) 1, Navigation (Land) 1, Observation 1, Soldier 1, Traps 1.

And yes, I'd allow the Soldier and Guns to overlap.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Rigil_Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This doesn't cover what they'd learn from AIT (Advanced Individual Training), just the 10 weeks of BCT (Basic Combat Training). AIT is a strange part of Basic that can be as short as 4 weeks or last up to a year depending on MOS.
Good point. As I was infantry, I automatically thought of Basic & AIT as the same creature which colored my thinking.

Also, for those unfamiliar with MOS, that's Military Occupation Specialty. So a straight up leg infantry guy is an 11B (called 11 Bravo when spoken.) A mud puppy (MP or military police) is 31B (I think?) And so on.

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
trooper6

What a person gets out of Basic Training is really going to depend on GM philosophy.

Stat Normalizer/Low Skill GMs might go with:
a) nothing out of basic training...just the ability to roll at default on a bunch of skills.
b) evileeyore's just the Dabbler Perk
c) Maybe just one point in the Soldier skill

I am a High Skill GM, so'd give them 1cp in a bunch of skills from the soldier's manual of common tasks, which includes Land Nav, First Aid, Soldier, Camouflage, Solider, Hiking, Guns (Rifle), Spear, Savoir-Faire (Military), etc.

But I like lots of skills in the campaigns I run and while I don't consider myself cinematic, I am not a member of the cult of stat normalization.
Knife Fighting, is a no-go however.

Last edited by trooper6; 08-17-2015 at 12:26 PM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Agreed. I'd add Guns (Rifle) and Running to the skill list and limit the points spent in all skills except Guns (Rifle) & Soldier to 1. Guns (Rifle) and Soldier could be 2 or maybe even 4. I might even argue that you could add Throwing (Grenade) and Demolitions (Explosives), while dropping Staff and/or axe/mace. Hell, Brawling and Wrestling could go too...
Depending on how cinematic you;re going for...

For ultra-realism: go with Dabbler as I suggested.
For more "Adventurer Ready" go with what Rigil is suggesting.
For even more crazy cinematic styling: let them go nuts with points into those skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Good point. As I was infantry, I automatically thought of Basic & AIT as the same creature which colored my thinking.
I'd also note that Fort Benning is the model on which other base's OSUT training is built on* (though from what I've heard they are all slightly different, mostly it comes down to what training experience the Drill Sergeants have gone through).

* And the AIT Dabbler skills I set.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
thrash

For what it's worth, the American Council on Education recommends the following academic credit hours for completing Basic Military Training:

"In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 1 semester hour in outdoor skills practicum, 1 in marksmanship, 1 in personal health, and 1 in personal physical conditioning."

The ACE generally does not assess military-specific skills, so this is just what you would get if you spent the same amount of time on these subjects at your local community college.

Conversion of credit hours to character points is left as an exercise for the reader.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
Wavefunction

Just for context, the character I'm asking in relation to is a combat medic, however I was only really interested in the skills she might have from Basic Combat Training. Her medical skills aren't determined by Advanced Individual Training, but rather her background before entering the military (it's an interesting backstory).

I'm not too bothered about skill levels, I wasn't planning on putting more than 1 or 2 points into any skills (except ones she'd have practised before or since Basic Combat Training), I'm just looking for ideas on rounding out the character a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for all your suggestions so far, they're appreciated.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Just for context, the character I'm asking in relation to is a combat medic, however I was only really interested in the skills she might have from Basic Combat Training. Her medical skills aren't determined by Advanced Individual Training, but rather her background before entering the military (it's an interesting backstory).

I'm not too bothered about skill levels, I wasn't planning on putting more than 1 or 2 points into any skills (except ones she'd have practised before or since Basic Combat Training), I'm just looking for ideas on rounding out the character a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for all your suggestions so far, they're appreciated.
If you are only going to spend 1-2 cp to represent what you learned in Basic, I'd say 1cp in Guns(Rifle), and 1cp in Soldier.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote