Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Jaware

Default technical grappling

Alright guys, I've been using technical grappling for some time now and I have the gist of more or less most of it.

Well. I have avoided the weight and grappling section like the plague for the most part! With the exception of the pick up, and the like that has happened a couple times etc.

Anyway. Long story short, I built a macro that handles all of the calculation for a game that I run.

And I've hit a snag. I understand that weight makes a huge difference in grappling. And I want to use it, that sorta why I put it together. But I have either missed, or have misunderstood how to get Out of it. Like change position can be used at -4 to establish a weight advantage. But that's if there hasn't been one established already.

A quick Control+f of the document revealed how bad it was to be under an opponent, but I couldn't find anything about how to get out from under an opponent.

Am I overloooing something? Or what?
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: technical grappling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Alright guys, I've been using technical grappling for some time now and I have the gist of more or less most of it.

Well. I have avoided the weight and grappling section like the plague for the most part! With the exception of the pick up, and the like that has happened a couple times etc.

Anyway. Long story short, I built a macro that handles all of the calculation for a game that I run.

And I've hit a snag. I understand that weight makes a huge difference in grappling. And I want to use it, that sorta why I put it together. But I have either missed, or have misunderstood how to get Out of it. Like change position can be used at -4 to establish a weight advantage. But that's if there hasn't been one established already.

A quick Control+f of the document revealed how bad it was to be under an opponent, but I couldn't find anything about how to get out from under an opponent.

Am I overloooing something? Or what?
I'd absolutely allow Change Position (which if I recall correctly in TG is a Quick Contest) to be allowed to cancel someone else's weight advantage if you're looking for a mechanical aid.

Weight Advantage tends to be one of those situational things. If bad guy is on top of you, because he's sitting and has you grappled and you're lying down, and you break free, or successfully change posture, you may have neutralized the weight advantage. It's a lot like the "Impossible Positions" advice: there has to be a plausible way to have it.

But see above re: mechanical aid. If you can Change Position (or Posture) to achieve a weight advantage, I see no reason why the reverse - penalized for being under something heavy - is forbidden.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd absolutely allow Change Position (which if I recall correctly in TG is a Quick Contest) to be allowed to cancel someone else's weight advantage if you're looking for a mechanical aid.

Weight Advantage tends to be one of those situational things. If bad guy is on top of you, because he's sitting and has you grappled and you're lying down, and you break free, or successfully change posture, you may have neutralized the weight advantage. It's a lot like the "Impossible Positions" advice: there has to be a plausible way to have it.

But see above re: mechanical aid. If you can Change Position (or Posture) to achieve a weight advantage, I see no reason why the reverse - penalized for being under something heavy - is forbidden.
Alright, that was what I was thinking I just wasn't positive
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
Plane

speaking of change position/posture, if you have picked someone up who is in a standing position, can you change their posture in mid-air so that they are "lying down" atop your shoulders, or similar?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
technical grappling, weight