Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Do people want a tactical map computerized game aid?

Greetings, all!

I know next to nothing about Ogre, but please hear me out. I'm currently in the process of making a tactical game aid for GURPS Spaceships (alpha-testing available here, news and discussion mostly here), and since it is intended to be built with a partial support of Rogue Trader, this got me thinking:

Perhaps with a few minor tweaks (e.g. change of the skybox to a normal sky, addition of either flat-textured, or 3D/modular terrain, and of course inclusion of Ogre-specific models/symbols) allow it to be useful for playing Ogre/GEV (esp. once I get my hands on making network play possible)? I have no idea whether Ogre/GEV rules are in anyway similar to G:SS, nor if people are actually interested in a computerized. It's just that there's a bit of opportunity.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
jfleisher

Default Re: Do people want a tactical map computerized game aid?

I would say "Yes!"

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
I would say "Yes!"
In this case, someone* has to give me an idea what an Ogre/GEV battlefield is like. Preferably while the class structure of unit (i.e. ship/tank/squad/etc.) data is still being planned. Notably, the absolute minimum of data:
  • What kind of grid is used, if any;
  • what kind of terrain is used - is it traditionally a flat texture, or is there a limited set of altitudes (like in StarCraft 1), or an arbitrary number of altitudes (like in Perimeter - the hardest to implement);
  • What data should be associated with every specific unit (e.g. HP, armour type, mobility type, damage of weapon and its damage type etc.).
  • Are units to be represented by symbols only (flat textures), or should they be 3D models (warning: somebody else will have to do the modelling, since my 3DSM skills are both rusty and weak).

* == since you were the first and quite enthusiastic forumite to reply . . .
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
jfleisher

Well, the hexagonal grid is optional, in my opinion. It would be nice if it could be turned on and off.

Terrain is pretty flat and does not have a lot of impact on game play. There are types that block LOS, and reduce movement/increase defense however.

Unit stats would be attack/defense, range, movement allowance. GEV's being a special case in that they move 2x per turn.

SJG has 3d models of pretty much all of the units already, the question is how to obtain them.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Well, the hexagonal grid is optional, in my opinion. It would be nice if it could be turned on and off.
It already can. The number of hexes can also be altered to make a bigger or smaller playing field.

Quote:
Terrain is pretty flat and does not have a lot of impact on game play. There are types that block LOS, and reduce movement/increase defense however.
So basically a flat texture underlay immediately below the hexgrid, which is trivial in implementation. Plus the ability to add special markers of some sort, similar to the role of planets/moons in G:SS.
Quote:
Unit stats would be attack/defense, range, movement allowance. GEV's being a special case in that they move 2x per turn.
Is that all? Seems like a small list for a tactical game.

Quote:
SJG has 3d models of pretty much all of the units already, the question is how to obtain them.
Understood.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
grimblefig

A good place to start is the free Ogre Miniatures Lite. I describes the terrain types and unit types that are most common in the game.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
jfleisher

Now why didn't I think to say that...

Excellent idea, grimblefig!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Greyhawk Grognard

If it could produce maps that were compatible with the already-extant maps from GEV, Shockwave, etc. I'd definitely use it. I'd want to see exactly the same sort of terrain iconography that those maps already possess.

However, for something of that utility, you might want to consider just making a symbol set for a map program already on the market, such as Hexographer (one I heartily recommend, by the way).

Even though I already own Hexographer pro, I'd definitely plunk down $9.95 or so for a really excellent set of GEV map symbols I could import into it.
Greyhawk Grognard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk Grognard View Post
If it could produce maps that were compatible with the already-extant maps from GEV, Shockwave, etc. I'd definitely use it. I'd want to see exactly the same sort of terrain iconography that those maps already possess.
You may find this useful:
http://www.sirdinglydang.com/OgreMapEditor.htm

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Toltrin

I like the feel of handling counters, getting out the pretzels, soda pop, music and the company of friends who love the apocalyptic lobbing of nuclear shells onto a tortured landscape. The roll of my CRT dice is satisfying and not digital. Seeing the tally of my opponent's counters lining up next to the map in it's own 'graveyard' is satisfying.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game aid, game aids