Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: [House Rule] Costs FP, some changes I haven't heard of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
Yes, costs 1fp/s is much less limiting than costs 60fp/min, so it shouldn't cost the same.
True. My take on it was something like an additional -5% per halving of duration (this applies to anything with duration, such as charges, fatigue, what have you), and thus we get:
1/min: -10%
1/30s: -15%
1/15s: -20%
1/8s: -25%
1/4s: -30%
1/2s: -35%
1/1s: -40s
2/increment: extra -10%
3/increment: extra -15%
x2/increment: extra -10%.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
How about instead following the size and speed/range table?

-10% 1
-15% 2
-20% 3
-25% 5
-30% 7
-35% 10
-40% 15
-45% 20
-50% 30
-55% 50
-60% 70
-65% 100
-70% 150
-80% 200
And so on.
Oh I like this and it fits in with the gurps feel. Would it work to say it's an additional -20% for per second? (60FP/min is far worse than 1FP/sec, due to it being broken up)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Would it work to say it's an additional -20% for per second?
My instinct is to say that's fine as a general rule, but that such a rule isn't applicable to every trait.

There are at least two different kinds of trait and it doesn't make much sense to price them the same:

#1 Are traits that you only want to use for a short while. Let me look and find some examples. Here we go: Catfall, Daredevil, Intuition, Lightning Calculator.

What these advantages have in common is that they are only useful in short bursts and the player can control when they're useful. You don't need to keep Daredevil on all the time. You turn it on when you're taking an unnecessary risk and then you turn it back off again. The same with Intuition and Lightning Calculator and maybe Catfall. You choose when you're going to need them and they only do something that you need done once. You turn on your Intuition and then you turn it right back off.

It would make more sense to price those things per use rather than for a specific amount of time. Or if you wanted to price them for a specific amount of time, then to price them dfferently from the other type of advantage, which is the kind that you want to turn on and leave on for long periods, such as Dark Vision or Flight or Alternate Form.

It's not really fair to price the limitation the same for both of those sorts of advantages. That would be the next place I would look in trying to price these kinds of limitations.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
kirbwarrior

Quote:
My instinct is to say that's fine as a general rule, but that such a rule isn't applicable to every trait.

There are at least two different kinds of trait and it doesn't make much sense to price them the same:

#1 Are traits that you only want to use for a short while. Let me look and find some examples. Here we go: Catfall, Daredevil, Intuition, Lightning Calculator.

What these advantages have in common is that they are only useful in short bursts and the player can control when they're useful. You don't need to keep Daredevil on all the time. You turn it on when you're taking an unnecessary risk and then you turn it back off again. The same with Intuition and Lightning Calculator and maybe Catfall. You choose when you're going to need them and they only do something that you need done once. You turn on your Intuition and then you turn it right back off.

It would make more sense to price those things per use rather than for a specific amount of time. Or if you wanted to price them for a specific amount of time, then to price them dfferently from the other type of advantage, which is the kind that you want to turn on and leave on for long periods, such as Dark Vision or Flight or Alternate Form.

It's not really fair to price the limitation the same for both of those sorts of advantages. That would be the next place I would look in trying to price these kinds of limitations.
To line up with what I was saying in the first post, that extra -20% can be for things like this, because they aren't long term advantages (same as Innate Attacks and its brethren)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
To line up with what I was saying in the first post, that extra -20% can be for things like this, because they aren't long term advantages (same as Innate Attacks and its brethren)
So that would be separate from the 'per second' or 'per minute' limitation?

My blog.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
kirbwarrior

Quote:
So that would be separate from the 'per second' or 'per minute' limitation?
Yes. It is for 'transient' abilities (i think that's what they are called) so it just adds a cost to abilities to use. It is the same cost (-20%) but acts differently on traits that you don't just 'turn on' (such as with my example, Innate Attacks).
Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Yes. It is for 'transient' abilities (i think that's what they are called) so it just adds a cost to abilities to use. It is the same cost (-20%) but acts differently on traits that you don't just 'turn on' (such as with my example, Innate Attacks).
Ah. I see.

That works for some things, but not for others. It may not be that important an issue.

Compare having Catfall for one second and for one minute. There's really ever going to be very little difference between the two. I can't help but think that one's overpriced to start with, as are many of those little 'neat' advantages. Even when you can build your character around having it, and plan your actions accordingly, I don't see how it could ever be worth ten points. If its price was lowered to five points, then the price of the limitation wouldn't make that much of a difference. Even then, I would still want to look through all of the advantages and see if there are other special cases that don't exactly fit.

My concern there is discouraging people from taking those advantages. That's what the current pricing and function does. I think that's why people tend to cluster around certain traits: they're priced out of the other things, for one reason or another.

My blog.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
kirbwarrior

Just in case my point did not come across perfectly;

Catfall (Costs FP1, per use -30%) [7] with the above fix. Every time you need Catfall, you can activate for that one time for 1FP.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
ErhnamDJ

Quote:

Catfall (Costs FP1, per use -30%) [7] with the above fix. Every time you need Catfall, you can activate for that one time for 1FP.
How much does it cost for 1FP for a whole minute?

My blog.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

It wouldn't help if you are unexpectedly knocked off a cliff or building. If you fall for long enough that you have the full second required to turn the ability on, then I doubt Catfall would help that much.

Tags
costs fp, house rule