Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [House Rule] Costs FP, some changes I haven't heard of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I still don't get it. If something has Costs FP and isn't switchable you are either Dead or paying a lot of points for FP Regeneration that you can't actually use.
The idea is for it to work just like it does now, only to not require a ready maneuver to activate.

You say, "I'm using my ability now," and then start paying the FP. Then you can stop it whenever you like.

Just like if you put Takes Less Time (or whatever it's called) on it.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
I still don't get it. If something has Costs FP and isn't switchable you are either Dead or paying a lot of points for FP Regeneration that you can't actually use.
The point is 'you have to spend 1 fatigue per minute to use this power, and you have to spend a turn in combat to activate it' is not a mere 5% reduction in the value of a power; it's more like 20-40%. Making it a free action to turn on is still probably more than a 5% reduction in utility, but at least it comes closer to reasonable.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Bruno

Quote:
Or it's Switchable and you can change the on-off state once per turn as a free action. Which at the moment, if you have Costs 1 FP, is a net enhancement, and just loony.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Or it's Switchable and you can change the on-off state once per turn as a free action. Which at the moment, if you have Costs 1 FP, is a net enhancement, and just loony.
Which is a large problem, thus the reason behind the new limitation. (Note I edited the first post so it makes more sense)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Anthony

It might be easier to just have a rule such as 'any power that will not stay active indefinitely on its own is a free action to activate'.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Are you thinking it requires a Ready maneuver to switch on? That certainly isn't explicit or implied in Basic, at worst its a free action on your turn.
Basic Set doesn't say anything about what kind of action is required to switch it on or off, but Powers does, and says that it requires a Ready maneuver*. The section ("Turning Abilities On and Off", pp. 153-) in Powers which addresses this appears to be intended to clarify what isn't obvious rather than as a set of rules changes.

* It says it fairly indirectly, as explained below:
First, it defines a category of "switchable" abilities in a manner which includes (among others) abilities that last until the user stops paying FP, including explicitly those that have the Costs FP limitation. (under Switchable, third column, p. 153.)
Then it defines what kind of action is required to activate each kind of ability. Concentrate applies to some switchable abilities -- but only those explicitly listed or with a modifier which expressly requires Concentrate. Attack doesn't apply to switchable abilities, applying only to certain transient abilities. Free Action applies to a specific list of switchable abilities -- only Mind Shield, Aura, and switchable advantage bought down to instantaneous through Reduced Time. Active Defense applies only with the modifier of the same name, or to attempts to use any other power to defend when using Defending with Powers. Move is used for Enhanced Move or Tunnelling. Ready -- and this is the key -- applies to "all remaining switchable abilities".

Last edited by cmdicely; 09-23-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: stray brace
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
ErhnamDJ

I just remembered what you need to do to fix Costs Fatigue's price, even if you get rid of it requiring a ready maneuever:

You need to reach a point where each level doesn't grant as many points. Start high and then get lower. I'm not sure what the exact figures should be, but I know that the difference between paying 1 FP a second a 2 FP a second is worth more than the difference between 100 FP a second and 101 FP a second.

If you fix it this way, then you might not need to adjust the price based on whether you have Regeneration. But you still might. I don't know.

What I do know is that the higher levels of Costs Fatigue are giving back too many points, whereas the lower levels aren't giving enough.

And I'm not sure at all if the price of per second use should have any relation to the price of per minute use.

Say that you want to have to pay four FP per second. That might be worth -60%. I don't know if it is, but that might be reasonable. Maybe -40% or -50% instead. I don't know if there's any way to stick a divisor in there and get something that also makes sense on a per minute use. Those aren't conceptually the same thing, and the only reason to have the prices between the two related is for convenience, though there is a sacrifice there.

My blog.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
BaHalus

Yes, costs 1fp/s is much less limiting than costs 60fp/min, so it shouldn't cost the same.
I have some ideas in a paper notebook. For fp/min, my idea would be -10% for the first level, costing 1fp/min and -5% for subsequent levels, each level costing double

-10% = 1/min
-15% = 2/min
-20% = 4/min
-25% = 8/min
-30% = 15/min
-35% = 30/min
and so on

Last edited by BaHalus; 09-24-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: min
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
-10% = 1/min
-15% = 2/min
-20% = 4/min
-25% = 8/min
-30% = 15/min
-35% = 30/min
and so on
Well, right off the bat I can tell you I think that's a big improvement. My only concern is that it escalates too quickly and that there isn't enough variation. I'm not sure if either of those is the case, though. Add an additional limitation requiring a ready maneuver to activate and that looks much more reasonable than what we currently have, for sure.

My blog.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
ErhnamDJ

How about instead following the size and speed/range table?

-10% 1
-15% 2
-20% 3
-25% 5
-30% 7
-35% 10
-40% 15
-45% 20
-50% 30
-55% 50
-60% 70
-65% 100
-70% 150
-80% 200
And so on.

My blog.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 09-24-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Tags
costs fp, house rule