Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
Tyneras

Default Re: Making injury multipliers based on SM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
The OP is using SM to replace HP as a way to keep a type of consistency while keeping numbers low. Which isn't much different from the Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction advantage, which essentially multiplies HP while keeping your actual HP value low and manageable.
Actually, the intention wasn't to change HP, but rather reflect that damage seems to scale with KE (roughly), but injury changes with the size of the damaging object (pi- to pi++ bullets, etc.). The system works great for objects about the same size (human vs human) but starts acting funny if they aren't (human vs T-Rex, pixie vs godzilla). If I wanted to keep numbers low, I would just switch to Deca, kilo, or mega prefixes (godzilla has 23 mega-HP! or somesuch)

Quote:
This sounds really cool to me. So what about swing damage?
Eliminated entirely. A swing attack just gets a +X per die, based on lever length. Human arms and legs would probably be something like +2 per die, and you just add sword or axe bonus on top of that. Smaller critters have smaller arms, and thus smaller +x per die, and bigger critters bigger arms and bigger built in levers. Just bake it in to the +SM feature, and have extra Long/Short striker (dis)advantages.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Making injury multipliers based on SM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Except that it's a zero point adjustment to make HP massless.
Yes, but that doesn't change the conceptual tie. It mostly just means that 'takes and inflicts more/less damage in collisions' is considered a zero-point trait.
Quote:
Having 20 ST/HP, the maximum "realistic" amount of ST for a human, does not make you suddenly become SM +2, despite what Growth says about ST and SM.
There's considerable discussion about the realistic-ness of 20 ST/HP, isn't there?

I don't see Growth saying anything about it, though. ST 20 is enough to support a 4-yard human in accordance with Growth's mandate, but it doesn't impose any maximum that I can see.
Quote:
According to the Basic Set, your average 16 pound object has 10 HP, 20 if homogenous. But in the same book a 6' tall 150 pound human being will normally have 10.
And there's a very simple reason for that. Living, Unliving, and Homogenous impose different definitions of 'broken'. For a living subject like that human, the primary concern of the damage system is the entity becoming metabolically compromised by tissue damage. A human can easily die with essentially no structural damage at all. For an Unliving subject, damage is largely mechanical breakdown. Unliving things don't suffer shock and all those physiological weaknesses, but they can become non-viable due to mechanical failure, again without too much change to their overall structure. Homogenous things, on the other hand, continue to be themselves until you've substantially disrupted their basic composition.
Quote:
The OP is using SM to replace HP as a way to keep a type of consistency while keeping numbers low. Which isn't much different from the Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction advantage, which essentially multiplies HP while keeping your actual HP value low and manageable.
I would also say it's like that, but my perspective on it would be that both are modifiers to the wounding system, not to HP or damage.
Quote:
As a bonus the OP directly targets the damage types that are logically stronger or weaker depending on the size of the character due to the nature of the wounding involved, something the system doesn't even acknowledge.
Though some prior efforts do.

Tags
house rule, pyramid 3/34