Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
seasong

Default Weapon Composition

Update: The current final rules are in post #56.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by seasong; 08-16-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Update of rules.
seasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Dunadin777

Default Re: Weapon Composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasong View Post
The armor divisor for stone, wood, horn, and tooth cut/imp weapons means that a sharp stone axe is worse at penetrating armor than a blunt stone axe. Which sort of makes no sense to me.
It makes perfect sense. It's a mechanical representation of cleavage (geological cleavage, not the awesome kind), which is the tendency of a mineral to split under pressure. In the case of what GURPS would call stone, once its shaped into an axe head it is much more vulnerable to shattering and breaking or at least chipping, which reduces the impact of the weapon. The more blunt it is, the less shear the edge, the more likely it is to retain its shape and impart its full impact to the target.

Having a sharp edge only helps if you actually can keep said edge. Otherwise it's a waste of impact. Literally.

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Trachmyr

I have been using an expansion on the Edge Protection rule from Low-Tech for some time now, to good effect.

Generally a cutting weapon has to do more than 2xDR to get cutting modifiers (I've modified this to 1.5xDR for swung/Unbalanced attacks), Impaling/Piercing has to do only more than 1x... if stone, add +100% DR to the threshold, so cutiing needs to do more than 3xDR (2.5x if unbalanced), and impaling at 2xDR.

Any Armor with "Tough Skin" is ignored in this calculations.

This is quite similar to what you've done.

I like the idea of slashing vs. cutting damage, I might play with that a bit.
I think stone should add +1xDR not double current values, otherwise it becomes too ineffective for cut/slash.

You start by saying tough skin doesn't matter, then give humans .25 DR... I say pick one or the other.

Overall, I agree... and I might update my version a bit with some of these ideas.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadin777 View Post
It makes perfect sense. It's a mechanical representation of cleavage (geological cleavage, not the awesome kind), which is the tendency of a mineral to split under pressure.
This is technically a bit off. The armor divisor is a consequence of the cryptocrystaline nature of the materials used to produce the sharpest stone blades, which is almost the opposite of having cleavage planes.

Still, the essential point is correct: GURPS Low Tech doesn't distinguish between sharp and not-so-sharp stone tools as such. It distinguishes between flaked stone tools (which historically have sharpness as just one of their properties) and ground stone tools. The materials used to make flaked stone tools can provide exceptionally sharp edges, but they're also exceptionally fragile. They cut soft materials easily, but wear down quickly even with light use and will chip and even shatter if used on harder materials, losing that sharp edge instantly instead of cutting.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Dunadin777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
This is technically a bit off. The armor divisor is a consequence of the cryptocrystaline nature of the materials used to produce the sharpest stone blades, which is almost the opposite of having cleavage planes.
Heh, if you say so. I bow to your assertion due to not bothering with geology for about a decade, except when my geologist friend lets something tedious slip in conversation. :)

Still, RAW seems to be a perfectly accurate way of illustrating reality. And if a proposed house-rule to change it is considerably more complex than the RAW which is at least 'close enough', I know I would stick with RAW.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
seasong

Quote:
In the case of what GURPS would call stone, once its shaped into an axe head it is much more vulnerable to shattering and breaking or at least chipping, which reduces the impact of the weapon.
It is hard to believe that a flint axe head can ablate that much damage without completely shattering... much less suffering no ill effects at all. Nor is it easy to believe that the flint axe head is chipping upon impact with soft human flesh.

I understand that ablation occurs. But given that a soft object can - at best - halve damage in a collision, it is difficult to believe that an axe head could reduce damage by more than -1 due to its ablation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
You start by saying tough skin doesn't matter, then give humans .25 DR... I say pick one or the other.
Actually, I said Tough Skin does not affect the conversion rate. That does sound similar to "Tough Skin does not convert damage," but is in practice quite different.

DR ×+1 seems like a better idea than doubling, although it requires a bit more math.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Still, RAW seems to be a perfectly accurate way of illustrating reality. And if a proposed house-rule to change it is considerably more complex than the RAW which is at least 'close enough', I know I would stick with RAW.
RAW would have stone-age hunters preferring bludgeons to spears, because stone-tipped spears are no good at penetrating large game.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
seasong

For what it's worth, I am not concerned with more complicated rules for this purpose, and the rule above is based on the similarly complex edge protection rules in GURPS Low-Tech.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
Dunadin777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
RAW would have stone-age hunters preferring bludgeons to spears, because stone-tipped spears are no good at penetrating large game.
No, because stone-age hunters wouldn't take spears for the damage--you take it for the advantages inherent to spears, namely reach and defensive mobility. Even if it does less outright damage, it'd still be preferable to use a weapon that can drive prey and can cause bleeding. Most primitive hunting of large game was more a matter of endurance and tailing wounded game as it bled to death anyways.

Your typical dragon fight is not a good litmus for the usefulness of a stone spear.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Dunadin777

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasong View Post
For what it's worth, I am not concerned with more complicated rules for this purpose, and the rule above is based on the similarly complex edge protection rules in GURPS Low-Tech.
And I don't mind complicated rules. But, if they are complicated they should really add something to the play experience. I just don't see that here. I see a minor speed bump in fringe cases to enforce a falsely linear appreciation of combat weapons. An edge isn't always the best option to kill someone outright, especially when non-metal weapons are concerned.

Tags
house rule, low tech