Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
cell

Default Contacts

My friend is running a game some what based off of breaking bad. Modern day crime game. I wanted my character to have a contact not unlike Saul Goodmen, he is the guy that know a guy. If my character needed to get his hands on some guns in a not strictly speaking legal fashion, he calls his friend, his friends gets him in touch with an arms dealer. What advantage would this be, how would I stat it, and how much would it cost?
cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
nerdvana

Default Re: Contacts

Check out RPK's Friend of a Friend modifier. I have it from him that you could apply the same modifier to contacts of a contact... so you could make the Saul-like character an ally or a contact and then buy additional contacts with FoaF on them. I think this is what you want.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Check out RPK's Friend of a Friend modifier. I have it from him that you could apply the same modifier to contacts of a contact... so you could make the Saul-like character an ally or a contact and then buy additional contacts with FoaF on them. I think this is what you want.
If you want total flexibility in your contact/ally, then you could couple that with Modular Ability with some cool-down (probably like 1 Day so you can't abuse it).
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
If you want total flexibility in your contact/ally, then you could couple that with Modular Ability with some cool-down (probably like 1 Day so you can't abuse it).
That is brilliant! Thanks for adding that idea to my toolkit.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
My friend is running a game some what based off of breaking bad. Modern day crime game. I wanted my character to have a contact not unlike Saul Goodmen, he is the guy that know a guy. If my character needed to get his hands on some guns in a not strictly speaking legal fashion, he calls his friend, his friends gets him in touch with an arms dealer. What advantage would this be, how would I stat it, and how much would it cost?
I would actually call that one of the primary functions of a Contact as it is, especially if you give him Streetwise as his skill.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Contacts are ridiculously overpriced for what you get... you're usually better off buying an Ally that stays out of the action.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
You might find my blog post I Know a Guy Who Knows a Guy worth a read.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Contacts are ridiculously overpriced for what you get... you're usually better off buying an Ally that stays out of the action.
That would of course require a GM who was willing to design and play an Ally who stays out of the action.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That would of course require a GM who was willing to design and play an Ally who stays out of the action.
There is no such thing as an advantage that doesn't require GM approval.

"Stays out of the action" is probably a significant limitation as well, akin to "Fixed Location" and the like.

More importantly it feel like a better match for the value. Contacts are just over priced for the benefit.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
cell

Thank you all for your help. Just one more question how much would it cost to have an arms dealer as a contact or as an ally?Some one who can sell guns to my character or the group.
cell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact, contacts