Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Houserule] No defense roll if < 3

GURPS prevents characters from attempting things (making skill rolls, etc) if their modified value is less than 3. So, if after TDM is applied, your skill is 2 or lower, you don't even get to try. The one exception to this is with active defenses (and, I believe, resistance rolls).

What would be the impact of eliminating the chance to make an active defense or a resistance roll if the modified value was less than 3, just like with any other rolls? Would this be more realistic, or less so? Any effects on game play?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: [Houserule] No defense roll if < 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
GURPS prevents characters from attempting things (making skill rolls, etc) if their modified value is less than 3. So, if after TDM is applied, your skill is 2 or lower, you don't even get to try. The one exception to this is with active defenses (and, I believe, resistance rolls).

What would be the impact of eliminating the chance to make an active defense or a resistance roll if the modified value was less than 3, just like with any other rolls? Would this be more realistic, or less so? Any effects on game play?
It would mean that attackers with high skill able to do major deceptive attacks or feints would have an easier time (slightly).

On the other hand, there would be one less roll by mooks and therefore combat would go a bit faster.

I'd be willing to use this as a house rule.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
It would mean that attackers with high skill able to do major deceptive attacks or feints would have an easier time (slightly).

On the other hand, there would be one less roll by mooks and therefore combat would go a bit faster.

I'd be willing to use this as a house rule.
Mooks don't need to roll at all if you don't want them too, if all you want is Cannon Fodder.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

It might save a little time if you have that one guy who tries for a 3 or 4 every time, but otherwise, not really a big change. And no, resistance rolls still say that if your modified value is less than 3, you get no roll.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
What would be the impact of eliminating the chance to make an active defense or a resistance roll if the modified value was less than 3, just like with any other rolls?
It would increase maximum theoretical hit probability from 96.33% to 98.15%. This is unlikely to matter outside of special situations where you absolutely have to take someone out with the first attack, and even then it doesn't matter very much.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
It might save a little time if you have that one guy who tries for a 3 or 4 every time, but otherwise, not really a big change. And no, resistance rolls still say that if your modified value is less than 3, you get no roll.
I just reread Basic, and it looks like you are right, but the FAQ insinuates the opposite, with the line 'You can not negate the resistance roll altogether.'. I've always played with being able to resist on a 3, but maybe I'm wrong.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I just reread Basic, and it looks like you are right, but the FAQ insinuates the opposite, with the line 'You can not negate the resistance roll altogether.'. I've always played with being able to resist on a 3, but maybe I'm wrong.
The FAQ is saying there's no such thing as Cosmic: No Resistance Roll Allowed. The suggestion of making the resistance roll at -19 works on 99% of targets, but the guy with HT 14 and Resistance: Afflictions (+8 to HT rolls) would still get to roll.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

It's bad for the attacker, if the enemy with dodge of 1 try to defend, he'll critically fail 50% of the time, meaning half of his attacks will be criticals.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
It's bad for the attacker, if the enemy with dodge of 1 try to defend, he'll critically fail 50% of the time, meaning half of his attacks will be criticals.
Deceptive Attacks just got a whole lot cooler. With enough skill, you can increase your chance of criticals.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Deceptive Attacks just got a whole lot cooler. With enough skill, you can increase your chance of criticals.
Wasn't the comment you were responding to referencing RAW? The House Rule discussed in this thread would prevent those with effective Defense rolls of under 1 from attempting a Defense and the high risk of critically failing.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active defense, house rule, resistance, roll