Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Derago

Default Need help statting an attack modifier

Okay, here's the power:

Ice Ball
crushing attack 6 (Elemental Cold/Ice; Increased Range (1/2D Range only) (x5); Limited Use (4/day); Takes Extra Time (+1); Variable) [23]

So what we have is a ball of ice inflicting a variable amount up to 6d cr that the character can create after second of concentration. He can do it up to 4x per day.

Here is where I'm requesting help: as written, a 1d ball of ice counts as a use just like a 6d ball. What I'd like is for the character to be able to fire any combination of ice balls no more than 6d in power and up to 24d per day. So he could (if being attacked by a gang of angry housecats) fire 24 1d ice balls in a day. How do you price this?

One more question that is only tangentially related: I thought about giving them a special recharge, but can't think of something fitting (besides eating a handful of ice cubes or drinking a glass of cold water). Any ideas?
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Need help statting an attack modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
Okay, here's the power:

Ice Ball
crushing attack 6 (Elemental Cold/Ice; Increased Range (1/2D Range only) (x5); Limited Use (4/day); Takes Extra Time (+1); Variable) [23]

So what we have is a ball of ice inflicting a variable amount up to 6d cr that the character can create after second of concentration. He can do it up to 4x per day.

Here is where I'm requesting help: as written, a 1d ball of ice counts as a use just like a 6d ball. What I'd like is for the character to be able to fire any combination of ice balls no more than 6d in power and up to 24d per day. So he could (if being attacked by a gang of angry housecats) fire 24 1d ice balls in a day. How do you price this?
Well ...

The most expensive way would be buying: Crushing 1d (Increased Range (1/2D) (x5), +10%; Link, (+20%; Nuisance Effect (No more than six links at once), -5%) +19%; Limited Use (1x/day), -40%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%) [3.95, rounded up to 4] ... twenty-four times for a total of [96].

So anything you come up with should cost less than that.

Quote:
One more question that is only tangentially related: I thought about giving them a special recharge, but can't think of something fitting (besides eating a handful of ice cubes or drinking a glass of cold water). Any ideas?
That'd be dependent on the setting fluff. We'd likely need more details to be able to propose reasonable things. ("Drink the frozen tears of a child's fear."; "Consume a handful of red snow."; "Swallow some dry ice."; "A mouthful of polar bear cub flesh."; etc, etc, etc ...)

It'd also change the pricing of Limited Use, too.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

You could have it powered by an energy reserve with a limit of only drawing 6 points at a time. As for a recharge besides time, that is entirely up to your imagination. I'd almost want to say DR vs something very specific set as absorption to recharge the energy reserve, but that's only if you can spare that many points for this.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
gjc8

Here's how I'd figure it. If you just throw 1d or 2d attacks, you get more than 10 of them, which is not a limitation. If you throw 3d or 4d attacks, you get 6 or 8 of them, which fits into the -10% bracket. If you throw 5d or 6d attacks, you get 4, which is -20%. So, effectively, 1/3 of your dice aren't limited at all, 1/3 have a -10% limitation, and 1/3 have a -20% limitation. Add it up, and the Limited Use modifer on the whole advantage is -10%, so that's probably a reasonable round number to use.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Derago

Thanks for your inputs!

I was considering modifying the Limited Use limitation. 4x / day is worth -20%, and I think that the use type a dice / day up to the limit of innate attack level x uses /day is less useful than fast or even slow reload (with which a person could start every combat with maximum load), so would -15% (vice -20%) be about right?

The setting is a slightly future (about 5 years in the future) conspiracy / monster hunterish campaign with no (apparent) supernatural elements but lots of mad scientist able to engineer creatures / animals that are simply not possible (a staple beasty is the Octobearigator - an animal with the body of a bear, the head, back, and tail of an alligator, and has a long (and strong) octopus tentacle protruding from the shoulder of each of the front legs).
Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Heh, after statting it out, Energy Reserve 24 only comes to 15 points with Abilites Only (10%), One Power (-50%), Slow Recharge 1/hr (-20%), and Nuisance Effect: Can only draw 6 points at a time (-5%).

Then you just add "Can only be powered by energy reserve" to your power, along with whatever else you want on it.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You could have it powered by an energy reserve with a limit of only drawing 6 points at a time. As for a recharge besides time, that is entirely up to your imagination. I'd almost want to say DR vs something very specific set as absorption to recharge the energy reserve, but that's only if you can spare that many points for this.
Thank you, that is absolutely brilliant. I've been thinking about a similar problem and this solves it.

I just put whatever recharging limits I want on the reserve. I've never liked x per day recharges, but I can deal with a per b hours or something like that. Though by using the reserve with different recharging rule one can simulate anything from d and d to RuneQuest's high priest spells.

Thank you.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Derago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Heh, after statting it out, Energy Reserve 24 only comes to 15 points with Abilites Only (10%), One Power (-50%), Slow Recharge 1/hr (-20%), and Nuisance Effect: Can only draw 6 points at a time (-5%).

Then you just add "Can only be powered by energy reserve" to your power, along with whatever else you want on it.
That comes out to much more expensive than putting even fast recharge on the power. I fear that would be too expensive for the campaign, but it would give a nice path for growth for the PCs as they gain points. I think I'll change the limitation instead of 'One Power' to 'Cold/Ice Element Only' which if I keep at -50% won't break my game.

Thank you, this will work great!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
That comes out to much more expensive than putting even fast recharge on the power. I fear that would be too expensive for the campaign, but it would give a nice path for growth for the PCs as they gain points. I think I'll change the limitation instead of 'One Power' to 'Cold/Ice Element Only' which if I keep at -50% won't break my game.

Thank you, this will work great!
Well, 15 points is about as cheap as you can legally make a 24 point energy reserve, which is the best way to have limited uses per day, while still allowing for a special recharge. If 15 points is too expensive for PCs using a 6d crushing attack, what else is on the character and what's your points budget?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Rasmus Wagner

"Limited use" is the limitation you're mitigating, so I'd halve the value of that and call it a day.

Tags
house rule, innate attack