Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #61
Purple Haze

Default Re: One-armed revolver reloads (High Tech?)

What about a harmonica pistol?

They are circa 1860, typically have magazines(harmonicas) of ten rounds (could make them larger) and changing magazines is probably easier than loading even a single round into a revolver.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #62
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
What about a harmonica pistol?
That's so cool! I'd never heard of those before!

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #63
acrosome

Yeah, but like all muzzle-loading repeaters they didn't work well and had a tendency to chain-fire.

BREAK

Sam- as I thought, we're talking about the same thing with the left hand, really. We're just arguing over whether the right hand secures the weapon by the grip and the left works the ejector while indexing (me), or if the left hand does double-duty securing the weapon and indexing while the right works the ejector (you). But in both of our cases the left hand is cradling the weapon and indexing the cylinder, and once the cylinder is empty the right is loading through the gate. My way just seems more intuitive to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if the official way the Army taught it was your way.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #64
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Yeah, but like all muzzle-loading repeaters they didn't work well and had a tendency to chain-fire.
That just means more bullets going toward the target!
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #65
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
The guns I've seen were all loaded with pin fire cartridges, no reason for them to be unreliable. Simple enough to build a gun for ordinary centre or rim fire cartridges.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #66
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The guns I've seen were all loaded with pin fire cartridges, no reason for them to be unreliable. Simple enough to build a gun for ordinary centre or rim fire cartridges.
Pinfire would be different, but the pictures Brett linked to looked like the chambers had some sort of holes, not slots, so I had assumed they were caplock. I actually did wonder if they were pinfire since the chambers were bored all the way through, but eventually I had assumed they used linen cartridges. Is it some oddity where you insert the cartridge and then insert the pin into the cartridge through the hole, or something?

But apparently the player likes powerful guns, and to my knowledge pinfires were universally low-powered. (Same problem as my LeMat idea.)

Still, there is a reason revolvers were popular- they worked the best. I suppose I should edit my last comment to say "Like most muzzle-loading repeaters...", since revolvers work pretty well. But you can still find literally hundreds of pictures of burst chain-fired caplock revolvers with a google search. It was a common enough occurrence that it is mentioned with some regularity in the correspondence of the time. In fairness, modern revolvers (and really any guns) do occasionally fail catastrophically, too. Usually it's due to user error in modern cases (over-loaded handloads), or to technology that's pushing the limits like those uber-light magnum snub-nosed revolvers that S&W had a problem with a while ago.

EDIT- I looked closer at those pictures and I don't see nipples for the caps, so I suppose it is likely some bizarre pinfire where you insert the pin separately.

Last edited by acrosome; 03-25-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #67
Purple Haze

I don't see why you could not build the harmonicas as strong as a revolver or in any caliber you could a revolver, I see the problem as it being near impossible to holster while loaded.

Depends on the campaign I guess, maybe draw gun, insert magazine, kick door could be the normal M.O.

Didn't I suggest the same solution to the multi-shot shotgun problem a couple of weeks ago? There were historical harmonica rifles in normal rifle loads so strength wasn't a problem.

Last edited by Purple Haze; 03-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #68
acrosome

But then you're into the rules for prototyping, it's expensive, etc., etc. An off-the-shelf gun is a better solution if one exists that meets your needs. I get your point, though, for "Lefty's" purposes.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #69
Purple Haze

Hardly, the hammer and firing pin are simpler for both rim and centre fire than they are for pin fire, and it can't matter whether the cartridge slides or spins into place. The rest of the mechanism is the same. This is the nineteenth century, making one of's in the local machine shop is the norm.

Tags
gun, high tech, high-tech, house rule, one hand, reload