Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #71
Cas Liber

Default Re: New Monsters

Giant Crayfish
ST:30 MA:6//10
DX:13 Armour:4 pt carapace
IQ:2
Giant crayfish often hide their 2-hex bodies in swamps or streams (4 dice vs. IQ to see; 3 dice for naturalist). They attack for 2 dice each with their claws (-4 DX if using both). Their flesh is extremely tasty and may sell for up to $100, if you can catch one.....
Cas Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #72
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas Liber View Post
Dragon variants

Dragons come in a variety of colours, as well as sizes, in Cidri. They can be classified according to colour, size or shape, i.e traditional dragon-shape or wyrm-shape (see below).

Black Dragons [snip]
Green Dragons [snip]
Red Dragons [snip]
White Dragons[snip]
PLEASE, Please, SJ, please do NOT go "color determines type" with dragons...

... that's a D&Dism and/or pern-ism that makes for bad play.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #73
Cas Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post

Yeah, I know. I am dredging up all sorts of old stuff....
Old 09-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #74
Rick_Smith

Default colored dragons.. metallic dragons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post

Hi ak_aramis,
I agree. Dragons should not be color coded for your convenience. I rather liked the Dragonadon from Treasure of the Silver Dragon. (Yes, I know you don't have rights to it.) All of my dragons variants were quite different from each other and had proper names.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #75
Shostak

Permission is granted to Steve Jackson Games to use this in return for acknowledgement of my contribution.

Beyonder The Beyonder is not thought to be native to Cidri, but from somewhere … beyond. It enters our world through weak points—gates, sites of recent or repeated summonings, the confluence of ley lines—or by possessing and riding back in the mind of an astral traveller. Beyonders have a form reminiscent of seething, pulsing, faintly glowing plasma (and are thus difficult to see in bright light). They are inherently magical creatures and can learn spells up to 4 IQ higher than their own IQ. Typical Beyonder spells might include: Blast, Control Gate, Control Person, Dazzle, Freeze, Lightning, Possession, Remove Thrown Spell, Spell Shield, Spellsniffer, and a unique version of Drain Strength. When a Beyonder uses the Possession spell, it physically enters its host, riding within until it is ready to feed, at which time it must end the spell and resume its physical form. A Beyonder is not harmed by injuries to its host, but it may be stunned if its host is killed—roll 4dv IQ for it to avoid being stunned for 2d turns. A Beyonder will have limited access to its host’s mind and some will use a particularly useful body for years, stealthily securing victims upon which to feed. A Beyonder’s special Drain Strength spell allows it to feed on life force without hazard of lethal backlash if killing the victim. Instead, backlash may stun the Beyonder as per host death above—a critical failure will result in longer stunning and 1d-1 permanent IQ loss. This spell inflicts physical damage to the victim, not fatigue, and life force gained by the Beyonder in excess to the its full ST will fade at the rate of 1 point per hour. When it has gained ST equal to its starting ST, a Beyonder will subdivide, creating a clone of itself. Beyonders can live for years between feeding, but, over time and with regular nourishment, a Beyonder's ST will slowly increase--up to enormous values in exceptional cases.

Beyonders are normally 3-hex or even megahex figures, but can squeeze down to 1-hex if necessary to move through narrow ways—halve their MA when compressed. They have only front hexes for facing purposes.

ST 15+
DX 11-13
IQ 12-18
MA 10 (levitates up to 6 feet above ground) Can cross over water, but will not submerge itself.
Only affected by metal weapons, and those do half damage (round down) up to a max of 6 per attack.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #76
Cas Liber

I found the differences between D&Ders and TFTers interesting on mailing lists/discussion. Making new monsters has always happened at pace in any form of D&D publication or discussion I have seen, where is folks discussing TFT seem to have it as a much lower priority, more interested in stuff like physics and how to adapt stuff.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #77
Shostak

Permission is granted to Steve Jackson Games to use this in return for acknowledgement of my contribution.

Mirror Wraith

The Mirror Wraith lurks mostly in Cidri’s folklore, more often mentioned to frighten children and vain lovers than actually encountered. Some stories maintain that the Mirror Wraiths is a type of lich, while others suggest they are a form of undead creature that can reproduce—that any offspring they beget while in physical form will be Mirror Wraiths escaping from stillborn infants. All legends agree that Mirror Wraiths skulk in the surfaces of reflective substances such as pools, mirrors, windows, and even polished weapons, where they are apt to hide themselves with Conceal spells. When someone peers at the object to see their reflection, they instead make eye contact with the creature--which they perceive as appearing like them, but somehow unwholesomely different. At this moment, the Mirror Wraith establishes a vague telepathic connection, giving it a rudimentary understanding of its prey’s personality, memories, and talents. From now on, each time the victim is near enough to a reflective surface to see their reflection they must roll 3d v IQ or accidentally lock eyes with the Mirror Wraith. Each time a Mirror Wraith’s and a character’s eyes meet, the creature deals 1d damage in an eldritch attack that bypasses all armor and protection, felt as mortal weariness which no rest or healing will restore. This fatigue heals normally only after the magical link has been severed or the creature is killed.

If a Mirror Wraith reduces its quarry’s ST to -1, it kills them and gains a full grasp of the deceased’s mind and (somehow wrong) physical form for a year and a day. Underlying the personality of the victim, however, is a malevolent, sadistic evil. At the end of a year and a day, the Mirror Wraith will select a new surface in which to reside, waiting to ambush its next victim.

A Mirror Wraith’s magical presence in an object will register with Detect Magic, but its identity will not be known without Analyze Magic (but see stealth tactics above). A Remove Thrown Spell will break the link between a Mirror Wraith and its quarry, but it will not necessarily keep it from trying to kill you in order to steal your likeness for a while. After a Mirror Wraith has established its magical connection to its prey, it may manifest insubstantially at the cost of 1 fatigue ST per turn, or substantially at the cost of 3 + 1/turn. If the connection is broken, the Mirror Wraith can still manifest until the mortal weariness has completely healed. An insubstantial Mirror Wraith can cast thrown spells; in substantial form, it can attack with clawed hands, cast spells, or use weapons.

Destroying the surface in which a Mirror Wraith lurks will kill or imprison the creature.

Build a Mirror Wraith with ST 10, DX 8, IQ 10, +8 or more points.
MA 10-12 (1 insubstantial)
Eldritch gaze 1d (bypasses armor & protection), Claws/fists 1d-1
Common spells: Acid Touch, Avert, Clumsiness, Control Person, Drain Strength, Reveal/Conceal, Shock Shield, Slow Movement, Trip
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #78
platimus

I don't know SJG plans on publishing a TFT Beastiary but if they do, I would suggest listing the monsters by attribute-point totals. A table of contents or index can provide alphabetical lookups.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #79
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I don't know SJG plans on publishing a TFT Beastiary but if they do, I would suggest listing the monsters by attribute-point totals. A table of contents or index can provide alphabetical lookups.
I second that motion, although I have to wonder if stat totals alone are sufficient to defining a creature's 'challenge quotient'. I don't want to over-complicate this, but many creatures have special abilities that should somehow be factored into their difficulty rating, shouldn't they?
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #80
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I second that motion, although I have to wonder if stat totals alone are sufficient to defining a creature's 'challenge quotient'. I don't want to over-complicate this, but many creatures have special abilities that should somehow be factored into their difficulty rating, shouldn't they?
Just add up the attribute point totals listed for the critter's advantages and disadvantages.

Tags
creatures, monsters