Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #181
juris

Default Re: Car Wars Sixth Edition

Also - 2.5e encouraged battleship tactics by harshly penalizing speed with very small defensive bonuses compared to the risks of losing control.

Everyone knows this - let's incentive speed/maneuver for defense in 6e. I'm all for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
- The bonus for maneuvers actually makes some sense when you think about it: a car jinking back and forth should be a bit harder to hit (ace tokens can be spent on rerolls for defense dice).

- The card deck is the mechanism for resolving internal hits that got past the various car sides. Until you're doing internal damage, they don't get used.

- Collisions have some cases that can get more complicated, but the bases make the most common (one car runs into another) pretty simple. The most complicated one I recall running into was three cars plus a wall.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #182
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Also - 2.5e encouraged battleship tactics by harshly penalizing speed with very small defensive bonuses compared to the risks of losing control.

Everyone knows this - let's incentive speed/maneuver for defense in 6e. I'm all for this.
In Car Wars Sixth Edition, going faster gives you a better chance of suffering less damage when attacked.

Of course, that's only as long as you're not out of control.

Don't go out of control.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #183
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Of course, that's only as long as you're not out of control.

Don't go out of control.
Words to live by.

...oh, are we talking about games?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #184
TheAmishStig

Quote:
- The bonus for maneuvers actually makes some sense when you think about it: a car jinking back and forth should be a bit harder to hit (ace tokens can be spent on rerolls for defense dice).

- The card deck is the mechanism for resolving internal hits that got past the various car sides. Until you're doing internal damage, they don't get used.

- Collisions have some cases that can get more complicated, but the bases make the most common (one car runs into another) pretty simple. The most complicated one I recall running into was three cars plus a wall.
Adding on to this:

- Tokens are "use them or lose them", they don't persist turn over turn, so can't be hoarded while pursuit is broken for use in a heated dogfight.

- Speed is very nicely set up as a double-edged sword; the game incentivizes going fast by factoring your speed into defense rolls, but also increases the risk of maneuvers by factoring it into control rolls. Playing "at the limit" you're constantly riding that knife's edge between maximizing your defense and one uncooperative die (or an opponent with high-explosive weapons) negating it.

- Phil made the understatement of the week. Not having any say in the car's trajectory when 'out of control' is the least of your worries.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 11-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #185
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
- Tokens are "use them or lose them", they don't persist turn over turn, so can't be hoarded while pursuit is broken for use in a heated dogfight.
This is very important. I've seen players try to keep tokens between rounds, and they have to be reminded of the sequence of play and when tokens are flushed . . . and when they are renewed.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #186
Buzzardo

I look forward to the press-your-luck aspect of the game. I have a friend who likes press-your-luck games and who loves cars. He's gonna love this game. :)

Apropro of not much, I just spent the afternoon editing the reference guide for a software security package, and I had to stop and rethink "flushing tokens." Context matters. :D

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #187
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
- Phil made the understatement of the week. Not having any say in the car's trajectory when 'out of control' is the least of your worries.
One huge penalty to being out of control was (if I'm recalling correctly), that you lost all of your defense dice for speed, which was usually worse than running into things.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #188
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Reviewing project specs.

https://twitter.com/SJGames/status/1192099276748414976
Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #189
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
One huge penalty to being out of control was (if I'm recalling correctly), that you lost all of your defense dice for speed, which was usually worse than running into things.
You lose all base defense. You may have crew/gear that still provides some defense.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #190
TheAmishStig

Quote:
At least as of last week's livestream, that's still the case: you lose the 'speed' dice, which opens the door to easy comparisons.

- In Munchkin, you should know better than to go out of control and pick up a duck sitting in a dungeon.

- In Munchkin video games, the primary goal is to go out of control and pick up ducks sitting in dungeons.

- In Car Wars 6th, if you end up out of control you are the sitting duck.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Closed Thread