Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #171
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Car Wars Sixth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are a few issues, the largest of which is that dice can disrupt positioning and play. With painted miniatures, no one wants dice smashing into their paint work. The box lid suggestion is a good one. Some people use those snapping dice trays these days.
I've started using dice towers whenever possible. Having the 3d printer makes producing themed ones for different games an option. (So, yeah, I'll have to think about what a Car Wars dice tower should look like.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #172
schoon

Upshots from watching the recent "Prototype Play" on SJG's Twitch feed. Take with a grain of salt due to "prototype" status.
  • The car "dashboards" are effective at presenting lots of data and modifiers in one place without need for references
  • Cars are the only vehicle being done right now (even though they are playing with other ideas if the game does well)
  • The turning key actually looks very familiar, so that should be very natural for players of previous editions
  • Control Tokens - used for keeping in control when making maneuvers - look like they could be moved to the console/dashboard with a dial
  • The Ace Token system - you get one for successful maneuvers, and can spend them on other tests for re-rolls - is interesting, but the accumulation thereof seem to encourage superfluous maneuvers
  • The bases will have holes, and the cars will have pegs, allowing cars to be switched between bases (or allow you to use your own car)
  • Damage is done by a card deck - one card has the sequence to resolve the entire hit
  • Collisions are done with a simple "my base pushes yours" system. Looks like it works well, without the complexity of the old edition
  • Looks like car design is dirt simple with card selection
  • Fun stuff!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #173
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
The bases will have holes, and the cars will have pegs, allowing cars to be switched between bases (or allow you to use your own car)
Other way around, unless things have changed in the last couple of days.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 11-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #174
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I've started using dice towers whenever possible. Having the 3d printer makes producing themed ones for different games an option. (So, yeah, I'll have to think about what a Car Wars dice tower should look like.)
I also thought of a dice tower. I was thinking of one in the form of a truck trailer standing on end. One in the form of a car carrier trailer standing on end could be cool (all those ramps with the braces on the sides keeping the dice in). Either way, maybe the tower could dump into a truck bed (maybe a pickup truck).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #175
Automohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I would make it look like a TV tower for getting the action on camera. Terrain and dice tower in one.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #176
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automohawk View Post
I would make it look like a TV tower for getting the action on camera. Terrain and dice tower in one.
Stay out of my notes file, please.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #177
HarbingerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The craziest thing I've seen is people rolling their dice on the playmat, smacking into the cars. I assume these are the same people who roll their dice on the Risk board and knock all of the armies around.

We may need a guidebook for proper game etiquette.
Ahh, memories. My brother was notorious for rolling his dice by launching them straight up in the air. They would then plummet down to the board and knock everything over.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #178
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Other way around, unless things have changed in the last couple of days.
Bases have posts. Cars have sockets.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #179
philreed
I do stuff and things.

* Autoduel Weekly: Rulebook Progress - http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/N...ebook_Progress
Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #180
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Upshots from watching the recent "Prototype Play" on SJG's Twitch feed. Take with a grain of salt due to "prototype" status.
  • The Ace Token system - you get one for successful maneuvers, and can spend them on other tests for re-rolls - is interesting, but the accumulation thereof seem to encourage superfluous maneuvers
  • Damage is done by a card deck - one card has the sequence to resolve the entire hit
  • Collisions are done with a simple "my base pushes yours" system. Looks like it works well, without the complexity of the old edition
- The bonus for maneuvers actually makes some sense when you think about it: a car jinking back and forth should be a bit harder to hit (ace tokens can be spent on rerolls for defense dice).

- The card deck is the mechanism for resolving internal hits that got past the various car sides. Until you're doing internal damage, they don't get used.

- Collisions have some cases that can get more complicated, but the bases make the most common (one car runs into another) pretty simple. The most complicated one I recall running into was three cars plus a wall.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Closed Thread