Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
MidnightNova
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default Lesser Wish question

In ITL Expanded, Lesser Wishes were introduced. It states that a character between adventures can purchase one for 500 XP. Is this a hard limit? ie; Can you have more than one on tap, but only get one between adventures? Or is it the case that you can only have one available at any given time?
MidnightNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightNova View Post
In ITL Expanded, Lesser Wishes were introduced. It states that a character between adventures can purchase one for 500 XP. Is this a hard limit? ie; Can you have more than one on tap, but only get one between adventures? Or is it the case that you can only have one available at any given time?
It doesn't say, and I expect different GMs will have various rulings and interpretations and maybe other ideas about what you can and can't do with XP and wishes.

In original TFT, wishes that weren't used immediately were bound into magic items, which could usually be used by whoever held the item. One approach might be to assume these Lesser Wishes work the same way, though the new XP rule doesn't say how in the game world a character would get these wishes.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
TippetsTX
 
TippetsTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Texas
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

I find it much simpler to re-characterize Lesser Wishes as something more meta-game like 'hero tokens' or 'boons'... less baggage since they don't need to be stored in an item (so they can't be lost or stolen) and you avoid the whole question of demon involvement.

Greater Wishes, on the other hand, should remain unchanged. Those should have in-game consequences.
__________________
“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” -Vladimir Taltos
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

My interpretation of the rules was that you could only 'hold' one lesser wish earned by XP at a time. But perhaps I over interpreted the intent.

By the way, I really like this addition. Lesser Wishes existed in the original edition of the game but were only accessible by magical means rather than XP expenditures. It was a great idea to provide non-wizards with the means of holding a quasi-magical get out of jail free card.
larsdangly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
MidnightNova
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

Maybe treat it like a magic item of it's own under the Rule of Five? ie; You can have a single "lesser wish item slot" that can have up to 5 wishes?

It's probably academic since 500 XP isn't going to come about in a session anyways unless the GM is doing something unusual with awards.
MidnightNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
TippetsTX
 
TippetsTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Texas
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightNova View Post
It's probably academic since 500 XP isn't going to come about in a session anyways unless the GM is doing something unusual with awards.
Not in one shot, no, but the intent of all XP-based rewards is that your are saving up your points until you have enough to 'purchase' what you want (be it an attribute boost, new talent or lesser wish, etc.).
__________________
“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” -Vladimir Taltos
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

My reaction is that I like it well enough IF it is used as intended / described, i.e.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL
to “purchase” a single Lesser Wish for 500 XP, and hold it for emergencies. This rule is specifically intended to help players keep their experienced characters alive, if they are willing to invest XP in the insurance.
But I personally would not want to allow all of the same options as a demon-bestowed Lesser Wish, specifically not a pre-specified roll for something difficult and not defensive, such as rolling a forced triple damage when aiming for the head in the dark at the king hundreds of yards away, or specifying an almost impossible roll of some other kind that should be a 6+ die roll but you specify a 6... (unless it's a roll to avoid a trap or something).

And I don't like the insta-complete healing option, either. Especially not if used deliberately and without any effort to have it have some in-world explanation. In a setting where the god you worship sometimes has bestowed miraculous healing, sure, but in the absence of a reason, I wouldn't want that.

On the other hand, the lesser uses (re-rolling a disastrous roll, or getting a limited yes/no intuition about something, or pulling off something clever that requires a bit of genius and good fortune), I think could work seamlessly in my GM style, and might likely even charge much less XP for.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
TippetsTX
 
TippetsTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Texas
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But I personally would not want to allow all of the same options as a demon-bestowed Lesser Wish, specifically not a pre-specified roll for something difficult and not defensive, such as rolling a forced triple damage when aiming for the head in the dark at the king hundreds of yards away, or specifying an almost impossible roll of some other kind that should be a 6+ die roll but you specify a 6... (unless it's a roll to avoid a trap or something).

And I don't like the insta-complete healing option, either. Especially not if used deliberately and without any effort to have it have some in-world explanation. In a setting where the god you worship sometimes has bestowed miraculous healing, sure, but in the absence of a reason, I wouldn't want that.
Excellent points as well, Skarg, and though we may now be straying into houserule territory, in my own games I'm thinking about leaving the adjudication of Lesser Wishes (or 'hero tokens' as I use them) to the GM. Basically, the player would choose when to use their benefit, but the GM determines the specific form it will take so as to keep things from 'breaking character' so to speak.
__________________
“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” -Vladimir Taltos
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

That same 500 XP would buy you 33 healing potions, so what sort of incident will leave your body intact enough for a Lesser Wish healing but is more than 33 points? (500 Gold == $5000 which is more than 33 times the $150 cost of a healing potion.)
__________________
-HJC

Last edited by hcobb; 11-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Lesser Wish question

Uhhhh....does not compute.
larsdangly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.