Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #1
phiwum

Default Free maps

Hey,

I've been going a bit overboard on creating maps and thought perhaps others would be interested. I use these on Roll20 (the proper dimensions are 5800x5743). I could add notes for how I use these if there is any interest.

I'm not an artist, not by a long stretch, and these maps don't have any real consistency to the artwork. Some of the features (notably trees) are taken from free sources online, but most are made from scratch. I've used most of them for at least a few of their features, while others are still in the queue.

I have more than I've made available here, but these are some of my favorites.

See http://phiwumbda.org/~jesse/TFT-maps/ . I hope someone around here finds this useful.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Free maps

Thanks! I particularly appreciate the larger scale outdoor terrain maps
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
phiwum

It's fairly easy to make large outdoor maps and they serve two purposes for me. For one, missile weapons get some love. For another, I can use that one map multiple times just by revealing different parts of it to the players.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
larsdangly

I like that style of outdoor map for outdoor exploration play, i.e., where i assume a scale of something like 300 yards per hex ('County' scale). I have a set of house rules for turn-based play at such scales, which I find gets players much more involved and turns what is often a time of GM 'blah, blah, blah' into an opportunity for play. Anyway, there aren't many commercial maps that are suitable for this sort of thing so it is cool to see good looking home versions.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
ParadoxGames

As I said more than once: The world needs more hex maps!

I'm going to post this link in the TFT Discord server.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
Jack O'All Trades

These are great! I'll definitely be using them.
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
phiwum

I have many more town maps available. I have a slew of forest maps as well and also a map with sewers and some secret tunnels.

The dwarven quarter map has tunnels underneath it if anyone is interested. The premise is that the quarter is primarily made up of four different clans who like to have tunnels connecting their homes and serving as living areas. I reckon that dwarves like the smell of earth or rock. The surrounding townsfolk are mostly unaware of these tunnels.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
phiwum

I added a map of a cliffside mansion. In my game, this mansion is owned by a ruthless businessman, a wizard who uses magic for commercial advantage. He also has a naturalist/animal handler in the basement, working to capture monsters and see which are trainable.

Of course, the map could be used for wholly different reasons, though it might be hard to incorporate the basement cages. Drain Strength batteries perhaps.