Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #51
hcobb

Default Re: The unofficial new units thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalinth
I was just playing around with GURPS: Vehicle Builder. I had entered the Mk V ogre and was playing with stats.
Look at the Ogre missile. It has a tiny little battery that if replaced would give it sufficent range to strike the CP from the south edge of the map.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #52
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Lessons Learned - Converting units from GURPS:OGRE to Ogre is very dangerous.
Personally, I ignore most material on Ogres from GURPS (with teh exception of basic stuff like the number of missiles, treads, guns, etc.), and just use background info, as the rest of it just doesn't fit in with my readings of the way Mr. Jackson intended.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #53
DSumner

Sleeper Rounds: Basically a “Sleeper Round” is a specially modified artillery round fired from a Howitzer unit (Howitzer, Mobile Howitzer, Light Howitzer, LAD) that embeds itself into the ground of the targeted hex. The player who owns the round announces he’s firing the round and secretly records the location of the targeted hex. He can then can detonate it at a time of his choosing. Any unit in the hex is hit with a spiller over attack. What do you think?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #54
CombineGeneral

As a weapon, it makes sense. Sort of like a self-deploying mine. There is added book-keeping, tho' sp it wouldn't do for beginners or casual gaming. I like the concept tho'.

Have you play tested this? I would think this option would have to increase the cost of the howitzer.
CombineGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #55
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombineGeneral
As a weapon, it makes sense. Sort of like a self-deploying mine. There is added book-keeping, tho' sp it wouldn't do for beginners or casual gaming. I like the concept tho'.

Have you play tested this? I would think this option would have to increase the cost of the howitzer.
Nope. It popped into my head when I was reading over my old copy of Helltank. As far as it increasing a Howitzer's cost, I'm not sure. If some of you guys would give it a try and get back to me, I'll see what I think the additional cost, if any, should be.

I'd also like to hear what you guys think of some of the other little goodies I've posted, especially the Laser AP guns. I'm also thinking of adding a requirement that drone units must remain within a certain distance of a control unit, or they will loose a lot of their capabilities.

Last edited by DSumner; 12-01-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #56
piningforthefjords

Hey Dominique,

There's LOTs of variant units in this thread, some of which I think are pretty cool. But will I have time to try them? Maybe... maybe not. Maybe later. Time is always tight.

Interesting ideas though.

As was mentioned earlier if Ogre was viable game, SJG would be doing all the testing and tinkering. Since it is pretty well dead, only a few fans will think about it, fewer still will actually try them. oh well (sigh).
Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #57
DSumner

Just out of curiousity, which ones do you happen to like, and which ones do you think would unbalance the game?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #58
piningforthefjords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Just out of curiousity, which ones do you happen to like, and which ones do you think would unbalance the game?
I like the Sabra and the Mark II variant most.

I like some of the armor unit variants.

I usually don't like anything that requires record keeping. Mines, etc. If you are playing via cyberboard, you can't stop your opponent in the middle of their turn and say aha! You hit a mine. You get their whole turn in a file from start to finish.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #59
piningforthefjords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Heavy GEV: HGEV - They have an attack strength of 4, a range of 3(6"), a defense strength of 3, and a movement of 4/3 (8"/6"). They cost 2 armor units, and are worth 12 victory points. Developed and deployed by the Nihon Empire, the saw extensive use as a light patrol craft in the Pacific Rim. A seperate assault model was developed for transporting troops.
I think this unit is too strong!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #60
DSumner

Got bored today, and figured I'd post this one.

Hunter/Killer Drones: H/K Drones were originally developed by the Nihon Empire for use in one of their many counter insurgency campaigns against Chinese insurgents. They have an attack strength of 2 (only vs. infantry), a range 1 (2”), a defense 1, a movement 3 (6”), move as Infantry, and are worth 2 Victory Points when destroyed.

I'm also working on an infantry and drone heavy scenario, where you get to use some of these, called Guerrillas in the Midst. I'm hoping to have it posted here for playtesting by next weekend.

Last edited by DSumner; 09-10-2023 at 05:06 PM.