Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Revulsion vs. Phobia

As I see it, Phobia is you being scared of the object while Revulsion is if it enters your body, it hurts you indirectly. My question is, How would you model a Vampire's fear of Crosses? Would it be Phobia or Revulsion? Also, am I being dumb and is this in the books somewhere?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Finalsora811

Default Re: Revulsion vs. Phobia

Found my own answer. I'm dumb. It's Dread.
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Lord Carnifex

I'm glad we could help :)

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
smurf
Banned

Fantastic response Lord C. Another satisfied customer.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Bruno

There's a problem-solving technique in the world of programming and software development called "Rubber Duck Debugging". We just witnessed a version of it in action here :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
PseudoFenton

In addition, just to weigh in with something so it seems as though we've helped. The opposites to these disadvantages are:
* Dependency, being the requirement to have an object with you, consume something specific, or go to a specific place regularly (chosen time period) or suffer cyclic injury on a shorter (but proportional) time period until you have.
* Draining, being the daily requirement to consume a specific thing, commit a specific act or otherwise expose yourself to a fleeting resource or you take injury which cannot be restored except by fulfilling these criteria.
* Maintenance, the need for skilled "upkeep" to prevent periodic (chosen time interval) HT loss and incapacitating affects which can only be alleviated by skilled care. In addition a minimum number of other people required to perform said "upkeep" can be specified (no less than 1 other though).

Through combination (as they can all stack) or selective use of these you can keep monsters/whatever near something rather than away from things (which is what Phobia, Revulsion and Dread model best). As such sometimes turning the conditions on their head as so to reverse the criteria being met can allow a much wider range of options of negative consequences for undesirable movement of a monster.

Obviously fleeing a cross should be Dread, but other monsters can be a little trickier and having more options of how to model different effects can be quite handy. (or at least I hope so now that I've written all of this up)

Tags
phobia, revulsion, vampire