Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #31
Mailanka

Default Re: V20 - Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
To be fair, they had no idea what the response to bringing back a 7 year dead game line was going to be. Now that they have a good idea what the response is they are expanding the line some more, so I'd have to guess that the response was quite good.
Given the constant bellyaching of oWoD die-hards, I can't imagine that was true. I mean, they drummed up a big social to-do (with very expensive tickets), created a huge 500 page limited edition product based on one of their most successful old lines, and thought it wasn't going to sell? Naw, no way. They knew it would be a hit. It'd be like WotC kicking our a polished version of AD&D and then being "surprised" when all the grognards came out of the woodwork to pick it up.

It might be that White Wolf was expecting that this was going to be the last hoorah of the company and they've been lying when they said they weren't getting out of the RPG business, and then this line turned out to be far more profitable than expected and so they're tip-toeing back in. That could be.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Given the constant bellyaching of oWoD die-hards, I can't imagine that was true. I mean, they drummed up a big social to-do (with very expensive tickets), created a huge 500 page limited edition product based on one of their most successful old lines, and thought it wasn't going to sell? Naw, no way. They knew it would be a hit. It'd be like WotC kicking our a polished version of AD&D and then being "surprised" when all the grognards came out of the woodwork to pick it up.

It might be that White Wolf was expecting that this was going to be the last hoorah of the company and they've been lying when they said they weren't getting out of the RPG business, and then this line turned out to be far more profitable than expected and so they're tip-toeing back in. That could be.
In all fairness the Grand Masquerade I believe is a yearly event. Also bellyaching doesn't equate to spending money.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
Also bellyaching doesn't equate to spending money.
There's a lot of truth to that.

Tags
v:tm, vampire