Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #1871
Kalzazz

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

My thoughts

This doesn't feel a huge niche, but, the niche it feels is one that has greatly annoyed me twice in 4e. In the two cases where it felt really needed, a character with Extra Attack was squaring off with a no active defenses giant blob of hit location free HP needing to be buzzsawed

So the skill 30 or so was just going to waste on the extra attack, the enemy wasn't defending (No Active defenses being used, so no Deceptive needed), couldn't use Rapid Strike (already used it on their main attack), and no useful hit locations

But in 999 out of 1000 times I haven't ever felt the need for this

So I would want something that is simple (no fussiness for stuff used 1 time in 1000) and which the 1 time in 1000 it became relevant was pretty cool!

Or maybe something that is cool enough to compete side by side with the normal consumers of skill (Rapid Strikes, Deceptive, and Hit Locations)

I like Techniques . . . but the technique seems sorta fussy with the weapon breakage bit, and also, it sounds like someone would just buy a shatterproofed weapon, level it to max, and never look back. Or would just ignore it.

Perk . . . I'm not sure it sounds worth a perk . . . the Strongbow for Bows for instance gives basically +1 damage with bows with no drawback, theres no equivalent for Melee Weapons, but -4 skill for +1 damage and needing a separate perk for each level? Seems iffy.

Combat Option? Combat Options are easily usable for everyone, for something that comes up infrequently making it available to all sounds good.

I wouldn't cap it . . . if the situation arises where someone actually dumps 16 points of their skill into a home run swing then fine, let them hit a +2 per die moonshot if they hit. Seeing big numbers flash can be fun. Considering that -16 could let a weapon master swing at -15 for 6 separate strikes, 1 strike at +2 per die damage hardly seems out of whack

Consider this officially added to 'Kal's Amazing House Rules Document'

It also passes the flavor test, as you can easily imagine Adam Dunn sorts of folks who have mighty swings which are unlikely to connect with anything, but if they do land, whatever it lands on is going to feel it
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #1872
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
My thoughts

This doesn't feel a huge niche, but, the niche it feels is one that has greatly annoyed me twice in 4e. In the two cases where it felt really needed, a character with Extra Attack was squaring off with a no active defenses giant blob of hit location free HP needing to be buzzsawed

So the skill 30 or so was just going to waste on the extra attack, the enemy wasn't defending (No Active defenses being used, so no Deceptive needed), couldn't use Rapid Strike (already used it on their main attack), and no useful hit locations

But in 999 out of 1000 times I haven't ever felt the need for this

So I would want something that is simple (no fussiness for stuff used 1 time in 1000) and which the 1 time in 1000 it became relevant was pretty cool!

Or maybe something that is cool enough to compete side by side with the normal consumers of skill (Rapid Strikes, Deceptive, and Hit Locations)

I like Techniques . . . but the technique seems sorta fussy with the weapon breakage bit, and also, it sounds like someone would just buy a shatterproofed weapon, level it to max, and never look back. Or would just ignore it.

Perk . . . I'm not sure it sounds worth a perk . . . the Strongbow for Bows for instance gives basically +1 damage with bows with no drawback, theres no equivalent for Melee Weapons, but -4 skill for +1 damage and needing a separate perk for each level? Seems iffy.

Combat Option? Combat Options are easily usable for everyone, for something that comes up infrequently making it available to all sounds good.

I wouldn't cap it . . . if the situation arises where someone actually dumps 16 points of their skill into a home run swing then fine, let them hit a +2 per die moonshot if they hit. Seeing big numbers flash can be fun. Considering that -16 could let a weapon master swing at -15 for 6 separate strikes, 1 strike at +2 per die damage hardly seems out of whack

Consider this officially added to 'Kal's Amazing House Rules Document'

It also passes the flavor test, as you can easily imagine Adam Dunn sorts of folks who have mighty swings which are unlikely to connect with anything, but if they do land, whatever it lands on is going to feel it
Heh. Thanks! And cool :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #1873
Christopher R. Rice

I'm going to be working on a better model for Patreon for all. If you have ideas on what you'd like to see worked into new model let me know! See here. Comments are open to everyone, not just patreon patrons.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #1874
Christopher R. Rice

Boil and Bubble: Technomagic Ritual Path Magic Spells

Today's first Patreon special is a few new ritual path magic spells with a technological bent.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #1875
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: More Psychic Healing Powers for Psionic Powers II

The second Patreon Special of the day is all about healing folks - even if it hurts them a bit.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #1876
Christopher R. Rice

The Hurt Locker: How Tough is Wood?

Today is a guest post about the hardness of various types of wood. It's pretty cleverly done and I wish I'd thought of it myself. Warning, lots of crunch.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #1877
Kalzazz

I can't see the tables
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #1878
Christopher R. Rice