Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Blind Mapmaker

Default Pre-Made Adventures for a Convention

I'm going to host a game at a local convention and I don't quite have the time to prepare something from scratch. What would be some good pre-made ones to adapt? I've already run Caravan to Ein Arris, The Torturer's Apprentice (an old Pyramid adventure) and a Technomancer-version of Zombietown, U.S.A. at this convention. All were well-received, but Zombietown was way too long, even without the final bits of the "dungeon".

I'm thinking of something that takes about 5-6 hours with a group of GURPS novices and pre-generated characters. A couple of interesting battles would be nice, but showing off what's cool about GURPS is more important. An interesting story is a must-have; that's usually the part at which I suck. I'm not limited by genre or setting, but it shouldn't be something where you'd likely run into fanboys that might not like the treatment of their setting (so no Conan, Hellboy, Discworld etc.). It also has to be available either through e23 or free on the web; old Pyramid files are also okay. Edition of the adventure does not matter.

I'm not going to run [/I]Mirror of the Fire Demon[/I] as I'm trying to get one of my regulars to run this one for me. I'm especially interested in people who have actually run a given adventure within the time limit (whether at a con or with a regular group of non-experts). One last thing: It would be nice if spoilers could be kept at a minimum. Obviously some of the content of the adventure has to be specified, but try to keep out the plot twists and surprise endings. Thank you very much in advance.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Pre-Made Adventures for a Convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I'm going to host a game at a local convention and I don't quite have the time to prepare something from scratch. What would be some good pre-made ones to adapt? I've already run Caravan to Ein Arris, The Torturer's Apprentice (an old Pyramid adventure) and a Technomancer-version of Zombietown, U.S.A. at this convention. All were well-received, but Zombietown was way too long, even without the final bits of the "dungeon".

I'm thinking of something that takes about 5-6 hours with a group of GURPS novices and pre-generated characters. A couple of interesting battles would be nice, but showing off what's cool about GURPS is more important. An interesting story is a must-have; that's usually the part at which I suck. I'm not limited by genre or setting, but it shouldn't be something where you'd likely run into fanboys that might not like the treatment of their setting (so no Conan, Hellboy, Discworld etc.). It also has to be available either through e23 or free on the web; old Pyramid files are also okay. Edition of the adventure does not matter.

I'm not going to run [/I]Mirror of the Fire Demon[/I] as I'm trying to get one of my regulars to run this one for me. I'm especially interested in people who have actually run a given adventure within the time limit (whether at a con or with a regular group of non-experts). One last thing: It would be nice if spoilers could be kept at a minimum. Obviously some of the content of the adventure has to be specified, but try to keep out the plot twists and surprise endings. Thank you very much in advance.
If you join the MIB programe, they have some very nice adventures for exactly that purpose.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Gigermann

I always liked Pyramid 16, “Trespasser’s Isle.” Planned to use it once or twice, but never happened. It's an easy sandbox, though, so it would be fairly simple to mess with the pacing.

I also highly recommend Eureka for quick games like that.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
If you join the MIB programe, they have some very nice adventures for exactly that purpose.
I had thought about joining the MIB a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty much a one-trick GURPS pony (only other SJG game I played in the last couple of years is Chez Geek). Also I don't know how much time I'll be able to put into something like that once I get a job. I'm currently in that sweet spot after exams and before officially graduating, but that's going to change soon. The joining website is quite a bit vague on how much work is expected from you. Do you know whether it's okay to do only two or three conventions each year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
I always liked Pyramid 16, “Trespasser’s Isle.” Planned to use it once or twice, but never happened. It's an easy sandbox, though, so it would be fairly simple to mess with the pacing.
I might be missing something, but Pyramid 3/16: Historical Exploration does not mention an adventure of that name.

Quote:
I also highly recommend Eureka for quick games like that.
I usually like such plot collections, but I was specifically looking for something with a bit more meat this time. Also the preview does not seem to work, but that could be just my ancient computer.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Gigermann

Quote:
I might be missing something, but Pyramid 3/16: Historical Exploration does not mention an adventure of that name.
Not 3/16; just 16.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
I had thought about joining the MIB a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty much a one-trick GURPS pony (only other SJG game I played in the last couple of years is Chez Geek). Also I don't know how much time I'll be able to put into something like that once I get a job. I'm currently in that sweet spot after exams and before officially graduating, but that's going to change soon. The joining website is quite a bit vague on how much work is expected from you. Do you know whether it's okay to do only two or three conventions each year?
Been there, and yeah, 2-3 conventions a year are enough to keep you in the programme. I used to do more, but then life went on, and I could not even do that, so retired.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Blind Mapmaker

Ah, I'm stupid, it seems. I even have a near-mint copy of that Pyramid issue. I thought the name sounded kind of familiar. Thanks.

Tags
adventures, beginner, convention