Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-18-2016, 03:23 AM   #1
Brad

Default What is Munchkin all about?

Hey guys,

I have been seeing more and more people playing this munchkin game on YouTube and heard people talking about it on public transport etc. What is it all about? i played a game called Carcason (ignore poor spelling) me and the friends would get together and have about 4-6 hours of fun i do miss them times. These days we don't get together so much so i am looking for something new to bring us back together and start playing again, a little RPG in life goes a long way ;). Also if you could let me know where to locate this game any websites or shops will be fine.

Any information would/will be greatly appreciated guys

Thanks guys
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
offsides

Default Re: What is Munchkin all about?

For starters, there's lots of details about the various sets at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com, so that's a good place to get some more details.

But as to your main question, Munchkin is fun! Take your basic hack & slash RPG concept but remove all the role-playing. A typical game with 4-6 people using 1 base set will take about an hour, more or less. Many sets have expansions to add more cards (and concepts), and core sets can also be combined to make multi-genre games (the basic mechanics are the same for all games, and any additional pieces are fully compatible). You can play with more that 6 people as long as you add in at least one expansion or another core set to have enough cards.

Probably my favorite thing about Munchkin is how much fun everyone has playing it. Many of the cards are silly, funny, punny or otherwise designed to make you laugh just as much as they are part of the game mechanics. It's not uncommon for people to spend as much time laughing at the cards (and especially the combinations that happen during play) as they do actually playing. And while you can definitely play it super cutthroat and competitive, it's just as easy to play it relaxed and even cooperative depending on the group dynamics.

If you're interested in trying it out, my suggestion is to head over to your FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) and see which sets they have. They might even have a set you can play with there to get a feel for the game. Pick one that you like (there's many different genres, so grab one you think the group would enjoy) and start with that. You can always add expansions or other core sets later if you like. And if you don't have a FLGS, you can always order from Warehouse 23.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Mister Ed

I'd agree with everything in the above post except the time estimate. We usually play with only three people, and it still takes over an hour most times. Some of the games I've played with 6 took multiple hours. If you've got more than 6, I'd seriously recommend getting another core set and splitting into two games.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If you're looking for a good "I know nothing about this" Munchkin game, I would recommend starting with Munchkin Legends; it's basically the same game as original Munchkin but several of the more, um, idiosyncratic cards were rewritten or replaced with simpler ones.

You can use our Store Finder (click the link) to find a game store near you, or you can order directly from us at warehouse23.com.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Mister Ed

I second the idea of starting with Legends. It is a great beginning set. Or Oz if you are at all a fan of the Oz books.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'd agree with everything in the above post except the time estimate. We usually play with only three people, and it still takes over an hour most times. Some of the games I've played with 6 took multiple hours. If you've got more than 6, I'd seriously recommend getting another core set and splitting into two games.
Just for reference, I've had 6 player games finish in 45 minutes, or go for 90+ - it all depends on both the set, the play style of the group, and good old-fashioned luck. And yes, until you're more familiar with it, break up into multiple games if you have more than 6 players so it doesn't take too long.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'll go one further: in my experience, the sweet spot for most Munchkin games is four or five players. Six-player games tend to run a bit long for my taste and have more down time for each player.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
bnorris10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I second the idea of starting with Legends. It is a great beginning set. Or Oz if you are at all a fan of the Oz books.
I just recently got Oz and did not like it alone so I mixed Grim and still did not like it so now I have pirates mixed in - I know weird mix but we love the pirates game and now it flows better for us
bnorris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We're moving way off-topic for the 101 forum -- "what is Munchkin?" is a great question for a new player, but drilling down to suggesting mixes of sets takes it past the general question into very specific matters of taste. If you want to continue that discussion, please start a new thread in the main Munchkin forum.