Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #31
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Fantasy] Standard Fantasy Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
Also, don't dismiss the use of the helenic pantheon out of hand.
I'd use the Norse pantheon a lot sooner, because Odin is cool, Thor is fun, and Loki is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
That said, how about replacing IQ +1 with Per +2, Silence 1, and get rid of the HP penalty? HP 8 make as much sense as ST 8 and fit the same logic. Per and Silence are plausible evolutionary adaptations for a prey species (which is what 2' tall humanoids would be, barring some magical reason why not - those interventionist deities perhaps). Other reasonable generic advantages would be those that have to do with power-to-weight ratio, like Super Climbing and Super Jump, or maybe just the perk Combat Vaulting. That perk would do a lot to model the agility you see in small animals.
That's good; we're using that. I'll look up the exact effects of Combat Vaulting later. Here's the new template:
Code:
GNOME [20]
Attributes:		ST-2[-20]; DX+1[20]
Characteristics:	Per+1[10]; SM-3
Advantages:		Combat Vaulting[1]; Honest Face[1]; Huge Weapons(SM) 3[3]; Magery 0[5]; Silence 1[5]
Disadvantages:		Curious(12)[-5]

Avg. Height: 2'0"
Avg. Weight: 32 lbs
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
Not to downplay the fun you'll have creating your own world, but have you considered Banestorm? It's about as generic as it gets. Sure, you might not want to use all of the parts, but you'll probably find large parts that are the world you want to use. You use those parts of the map and don't take your adventure into the others, and you're good.

Also, don't dismiss the use of the helenic pantheon out of hand. The book GURPS Greece sets out a lot of what you need. It's also a pretty well-documented subject outside of GURPS. The Illiad and the Oddessey are fine reading and will give you plenty of material. I strongly recommend the Lattimore and Greene translations. For a more contemporary reading, the Percy Jackson novels are a lot of fun.
Banestorm is the complete antithesis of 'generic'. The only bit somewhat generic are the races; every other bit, especially the history and kingdoms, is the opposite of generic, relying on extremely setting-specific assumptions, the most obvious being the Banestorm and people dropping in from alternate universes with TL5+ equipment and knowledge.

In any case, the OP isn't trying to create the Standard Fantasy Setting, due to his insistence on lack of divine magic and multiple gods, which are essential elements to the generic SFS, not to mention the whole 'must be identical to Medieval Europe, straight down to the religion and politics' idea. I'm sorry, but the thread title really isn't reflective of what the OP is looking for.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Pantheon is right out of the question as far as I'm concerned; I can accept some pretty powerful beings, many of them Good-aligned, but to be a pantheon at all strains suspension of disbelief. Beings like the Maiar, the Valar, Star Spirits, or the Heavenly Host are okay by me; I just can't comprehend them being called gods.
Even though you know from history that they were?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I don't disagree with that completely –but I wonder if you are addressing this specially to me for any particular reason.
Probably should've quoted the one before you, also... just following the train of thought from, "That's not standard/generic," through, "But that's what the OP wants," to, "And that's why the thread title is kind of way off base and this should just be called something like, 'Kenneth's Homebrew Fantasy Setting Featuring Kenneth's Rather Specific Assumptions and Taste, Presented in as Modular a Manner as Possible.'" (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #35
nik1979

Quote:
Avg. Weight: 32 lbs
(32lbs^(1/3))*2 = ST6? so a gnome would have an ST average of 6?
if ST8 = ((ST/2)^3) = 64lbs. It should have relatively smaller range because 8-15 of human is about 80%-150%, while 7-12 is about 75-150%.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Ideally, it should be a versatile template that works for generic "little people", costing 20 points, and capable of using SM 0 weapons. [snip] ST 8 was mostly because I wanted their average attributes to fall into "playable adventurer" territory.
So it's routine to see one of these 2'-tall guys carrying and using a 3'-long sword?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #37
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Probably should've quoted the one before you, also... just following the train of thought,
OK, thanks for answering.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #38
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
That sounds pretty good, except that I'm not familiar with those particular rules (just as I was unfamiliar with the product Caverns and Creatures until it was mentioned in this thread; we plan on using some of the content from that now that we have it). Where can I get myself acquainted with Divine Favor?
In GURPS Powers: divine favor. I also recommend pcking Pyramid #3/36: Dungeon Fantasy for the Dungeon Saints article.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0139
http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-2636
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #39
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Banestorm is the complete antithesis of 'generic'. The only bit somewhat generic are the races; every other bit, especially the history and kingdoms, is the opposite of generic, relying on extremely setting-specific assumptions, the most obvious being the Banestorm and people dropping in from alternate universes with TL5+ equipment and knowledge.
In the large scale, yes. But when you're actually playing, you're generally focused on the dungeon or town or forest you're adventuring in, so you can only see the generic details.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #40
Gef

Quote:
I'll look up the exact effects of Combat Vaulting later.
Means they can always make a full jump, instead of a half-jump.

Quote:
Here's the new template:
Characteristics: Per+1[10]
Typo, I infer. I like this template better, meaning I'd be more inclined to feature it as a GM or even select it as a player, although in the former case, I'd double height. For a 2' critter, I suggest feature: Disproportionately large hands and feet relative to humans. That'll explain the Huge Weapons perk.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy, generic, religion, setting, standard fantasy, vanilla