Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Claim To Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So ... I need to set aside points for Rank for your game?!?!?!

I kid. I have no points left to set aside. :(

Rank is free in that game. As is wealth. Its a fun variant I like to play with. It always amuses me how much restraint people show when I say that.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Patron doesn't work if there's not a permanent organization that the PCs are working for.

This "The captain's boat" might be the best approach, unfortunately I don't have it, can you give me a run down?
As the author of the article it was built off Patron.
The idea is that a ship really is a business or other organization.
I came up with it to model the classic poor freighter captain who had a ship but was not wealthy. The captain is working for an organization, he is in charge of it but has responsibilities to keep it going.
All the resources of the Patron are tied up into the ship (made a nice table) which can include crew and administrative personal.
The article recommends using Ally instead of Patron for Mechs and fighters and gives some brief guidelines.
I think either approach could work for your mech pilots but the latter is better for your guys with battlesuits or gear.

And nothing wrong with your organization (ship) being part of a larger one (Military or Trading company).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A Patron that provided new Mexhs would be something like a very wealthy family. You get to keep Patron equipment and use how you want to.

An employer who provides you with equipment you need to carry out his orders for his purposes isn't a Trait at all. Especially if he takes back the equipment at the end of the job.
This equipment is probably in excess of what you actually need. If hired to assassinate someone in BT the PCs won't slip someone into his household to poison him, plant a bomb in his limo, or snip him from long distance, rather he's supposed to be killed when they conduct a military assault on his residence in their 'Mechs, with him likely dying after he's gotten into his own 'Mech and tried to fight off the PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So you're saying that the gear comes from rank? that... actually works out nicely.
Something similar at least , people in BattleTech tend to be rather possessive of family-owned 'Mechs, preferring them to anything else, so you may have cases where the commander of a merc company is in the company's lightest 'Mech.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote