Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: GURPS Hot Spots: Renaissance Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
This is true.
I heartily endorse this event or product.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Bruno

This PDF is now in my grubby little paws.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #13
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This PDF is now in my grubby little paws.
Yes; the name ’GURPS’ in the title is in this case more an indicator of quality, rather than suitability for a particular game system.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Refplace

My review is up here.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 AM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I have no specific plans to do Rome, or indeed any other city in Renaissance Italy, but then again I had no plans to do Venice when Florence came out, so you never know. My interests at the moment are well away from Europe, but I do keep coming back because it's just so damn well documented in sources which are easily physically accessible to me, written in languages I can read.

Rome would seem appropriate, but were I to do another in the series, I might look to a smaller, less important city like Genoa, Milan, or Bologna, or perhaps go even farther south to Napoli. But this is, of course, purely speculative at the moment.
The big problem I can see with books like this is that many GM's, like myself, don't know how to run campaigns set in cities like these, we know that it's possible, but we don't know how to set things up, an example of these sorts of adventures is needed to show us how it's done.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The big problem I can see with books like this is that many GM's, like myself, don't know how to run campaigns set in cities like these, we know that it's possible, but we don't know how to set things up, an example of these sorts of adventures is needed to show us how it's done.
Can you expand on that at all? I see things like this as backdrops to games which are substantially social or political in nature rather than wilderness or dungeon games. Are you talking about something like more guidance on running social-intensive games, on doing so in the context of the specific locations in question, or something else?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
To be fair that is not a problem of the book. the mandate fr the Hot Spot series is real world historical. So it may just be a target audience issue, though the short campaigns chapter helps.
Sounds like what you could use to get the most out of these type of books is an Urban Adventures supplement though, is that right?
Social Engineering has some ideas, Caverntown and indeed this book provide more specific things but I could see a use for a general purpose book.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 AM   #18
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Can you expand on that at all? I see things like this as backdrops to games which are substantially social or political in nature rather than wilderness or dungeon games. Are you talking about something like more guidance on running social-intensive games, on doing so in the context of the specific locations in question, or something else?
Sure, when one thinks of adventuring in Venice in this timeframe their going to thinking of scheming nobles and plots within plots, most GM's are going to have no idea on how to implement this however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
To be fair that is not a problem of the book. the mandate fr the Hot Spot series is real world historical. So it may just be a target audience issue, though the short campaigns chapter helps.
Sounds like what you could use to get the most out of these type of books is an Urban Adventures supplement though, is that right?
Social Engineering has some ideas, Caverntown and indeed this book provide more specific things but I could see a use for a general purpose book.
Actually I'd say the real problem is that players are expected to be master manipulators in this kind of situation, which really breaks the idea of roleplaying.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Sure, when one thinks of adventuring in Venice in this timeframe their going to thinking of scheming nobles and plots within plots, most GM's are going to have no idea on how to implement this however.
That was basically the core concept behind Vampire the Masquerade, and I don't actually recall any of the VtM books being a Scheming 101 book. Didn't stop MeT Masquerade from being a 80-player gordian plot here... An insane one, but it seemed to work.

It's certainly very different from e.g. a dungeon crawl. But you (including the GM) don't have to be master plotters, any more than the GM and players in a dungeon crawl actually need to be tactical masters (IME players often can't tactics their way out of a paper bag, or can but choose not to in favor or Leeeeeroy Jenkins type assaults). My tactical skills are dubious at best, but I've been puttering along as a DF GM for a while.

It's much more important to have players who want to scheme.
A DF game doesn't work if your players would rather hang out in town and have in-depth conversations with NPCs rather than go kill monsters, and a political intrigue game doesn't work if your players would rather be breaking into houses and stealing baubles, or fighting rival houses in the streets with swords.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #20
Phantasm

Not to mention there are traits such as Foresight (Pyramid: Action I), Gizmo, and Serendipity, as well as a multitude of Impulse Buys, which help a player with an idea to pass off his half-baked scheme as a Xanatos Gambit, even if he is pulling an Indy Ploy or Speed Chess at the table.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote