Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #91
platimus

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Split them off entirely. All starting characters have knowledge 10.

Wizards who raise their IQ get to trade in for higher level effect spells of exactly the same type for no extra charge. Three hex wall? Of course, it's suddenly so clear to me how to extend what I already learned.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #92
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Well, since we already have something call "Experience" maybe that should represent a character's life experience, etc.
Fine, you've got me there... we can swap 'experience' for 'mental acuity' to cover things like memory, focus, comprehension, etc.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #93
The Wyzard

I intend/hope to play a Gargoyle Wizard. Being able to buy talents/spells uncoupled from IQ is pretty central to the concept.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #94
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
I intend/hope to play a Gargoyle Wizard. Being able to buy talents/spells uncoupled from IQ is pretty central to the concept.
Awesome! What IQ levels of spells will he know? :)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #95
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Fine, you've got me there... we can swap 'experience' for 'mental acuity' to cover things like memory, focus, comprehension, etc.
No one suggested that.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #96
The Wyzard

Quote:
Awesome! What IQ levels of spells will he know? :)
Well, nothing more than 10. But he'd be the first one in his family that went to college, so that's something to be proud of.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #97
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Well, nothing more than 10. But he'd be the first one in his family that went to college, so that's something to be proud of.
Indeed it would. So he'd start with IQ10?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #98
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
You know guys, it's starting to feel like 'the cure is worse than the disease'. I get that IQ bloat could be an issue in the old system, but there also seems to be some real issues w/ the unintended consequences of using XP to buy talents directly.

Just a thought.
This is only true if you assume that everyone commenting on the new system is opposed to it or has a problem with it. Frankly, I think it's fine, and a great improvement over the old system. I think a lot of folks feel that it at least deserves a test run before it's condemned out of hand. I think we all get that you don't like it, but that's totally okay. After all, there's nothing that prevents you from using the old system if you prefer. I, on the other hand, prefer the new system, and intend to use it, and would be greatly upset if it were dropped without seeing the light of day.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #99
bill_seney

Quote:
Indeed it would. So he'd start with IQ10?
Gargoyles start with ST 13 DX 11 IQ 8 with no spare points but he could start out knowing ALL the IQ 8 spells, or all but one plus Literacy Talent, and will have enough ST to use them a lot. 200 XP will get him up to IQ 10 and another 200 XP will boost DX to 12. At that point he can start using XP to buy IQ 9 and IQ 10 spells.

The drawback of a Gargoyle Wizard is that Staff II is an IQ 11 spell, so a Gargoyle can't get a Staff that has a Manna stat. OTOH a high ST Wizard whose skin stops 3 hits and punches for 2d damage could be a nasty surprise for someone.

Last edited by bill_seney; 10-02-2018 at 11:32 PM.
bill_seney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #100
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_seney View Post
Gargoyles start with ST 13 DX 11 IQ 8 with no spare points but he could start out knowing ALL the IQ 8 spells, or all but one plus Literacy Talent, and will have enough ST to use them a lot. 200 XP will get him up to IQ 10 and another 200 XP will boost DX to 12. At that point he can start using XP to buy IQ 9 and IQ 10 spells.

The drawback of a Gargoyle Wizard is that Staff II is an IQ 11 spell, so a Gargoyle can't get a Staff that has a Manna stat. OTOH a high ST Wizard whose skin stops 3 hits and punches for 2d damage could be a nasty surprise for someone.
Yeah, this is how I figured it. The character would be cut off from a lot of high-level wizardry, but still fun to play. They could get a ST Battery/Power Stone since a staff wouldn't do much for them.

And hey! You get claws that are the equivalent of a broadsword and (I think) you don't have to spend Talent points to use them. I'm not sure what they're like in HTH combat. You get basically "free" chainmail-equivalent armor. You move a little slower on the ground, but you can fly.

I think it'd be a fun character. Probably not mechanically optimal, but there's a lot of RP potential there.