Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #41
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The real problem with heavy water is that it's completely useless for solving your problem; it doesn't form chemical bonds that are meaningfully stronger than ordinary hydrogen, and that's what actually determines how strong a material is.
What does "Deuterium forms stronger hydrogen bonds than protium, so the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in heavy water molecules would be expected to impact the water" and "as hydrogen bond with deuterium is slightly stronger than one involving ordinary hydrogen, in a highly deuterated environment, some normal reactions in cells are disrupted" mean?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #42
Anthony

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
What does "Deuterium forms stronger hydrogen bonds than protium, so the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in heavy water molecules would be expected to impact the water" mean?
It's enough stronger to affect chemical reactions. It's not enough stronger to modify material properties on a scale GURPS would care about (bond strength in D2O is 1.6% higher than in H2O).

Last edited by Anthony; 07-14-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #43
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
It's enough stronger to affect chemical reactions. It's not enough stronger to modify material properties on a scale GURPS would care about.
According to my calculus if you find a way around the inherent problems it will increase body weight by about 6.5%, which is a not inconsiderable amount.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #44
jason taylor

In any event, it is hard to justify a way to gengineer greater strength in females that would not be equally available to males. If so you simply have an increase in strength across the board. Or at least in those with enough money. And by definition being female means putting investments in categories of capability that are by arbitrary coincidence not considered as types of strength. In other words if the technology is available to all then the major commitments needed in building a "good looking female"(which requires all that is required by the adjective good looking and the noun female) are going to make matching men hard. And if men can't on average be matched in this verse any more then the real one there is no point to it.

The most plausible way I suppose is to posit that female chromosomes were uniquely susceptable to gengineering. Uterine Replicators are another possibility.

Last edited by jason taylor; 07-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #45
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
In any event, it is hard to justify a way to gengineer greater strength in females that would not be equally available to males. If so you simply have an increase in strength across the board. Or at least in those with enough money. And by definition being female means putting investments in categories of capability that are by arbitrary coincidence not considered as types of strength. In other words if the technology is available to all then the major commitments needed in building a "good looking female"(which requires all that is required by the adjective good looking and the noun female) are going to make matching men hard. And if men cannon on average be matched in this verse any more then the real one there is no point to it.

The most plausible way I suppose is to posit that female chromosomes were uniquely susceptable to gengineering. Uterine Replicators are another possibility.
The upgrades may be made available for both men and female, but men usually do not face as many critics aesthetically speaking no matter how big their muscles are and that is why I made this discussion specially around a female perspective. From an arithmetic mean I will agree with you that females have less strength than males, but that's mainly because they also weigh less.

As women also have more adipose tissue, it is specially required to confirm that at certain levels of athletic performance the difference is not so great (Males body fat 5% and Females body fat 10%, while on average males are at about 15% and females at about 28%).

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #46
Anthony

Quote:
According to my calculus if you find a way around the inherent problems it will increase body weight by about 6.5%, which is a not inconsiderable amount.
Body weight is not the property you should care about. What matters is the number and strength of chemical bonds.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #47
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Body weight is not the property you should care about. What matters is the number and strength of chemical bonds.
They are also slightly stronger but our main target at the moment is to raise HP for which we need to increase weight, however my specifications are that we must not touch the height and we must not touch the bulk (so "appearance" must also be a constant) :P
Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #48
jason taylor

Quote:
The upgrades may be made available for both men and female, but men usually do not face as many critics aesthetically speaking no matter how big their muscles are and that is why I made this discussion specially around a female perspective.
That is fine enough if rather brutal in it's real life results (women don't face as much demands for prowess either by the way). But the point remains in theory that you have a circle to square. You have committed your gengineer to include in his specs "good looking, female, and strong" but have effectively only given gengineers for males the assignment, "male and strong".
Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #49
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
That is fine enough if rather brutal in it's real life results (women don't face as much demands for prowess either by the way). But the point remains in theory that you have a circle to square. You have committed your gengineer to include in his specs "good looking, female, and strong" but have effectively only given gengineers for males the assignment, "male and strong".
Oh not really, but it's more difficult to do it with a woman than with a man, so if with a female character we can do it, the results will be extrapolated to the case of men. I just do not want to lower the level of appearance of strong female characters, which is even recognized by the game as proven facts:

"Anabolic Steroid Regime: Someone who used steroids for several months while body-building might have these traits... If female, add Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]..."
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
Water´s main functions in the human body should involve acting as a solvent for several processes. How different do you think heavy water would be? Would not Immunity (Heavy Water) cover those differences with upgraded enzymes, for example? Or maybe there is a chance to develop a fluid denser and equally/more efficient than water?
I don't think so. See, you could buy Immunity (Chlorine) and not suffer toxic effects from breathing chlorine (though there might still be some corrisive effects). But that wouldn't help you if you were put into an atmosphere of chlorine without oxygen; even without the toxicity it would still suffocate you. And you're talking about replacing water in the human body with heavy water.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote