Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Donny Brook

Default [Maneuver] Move and Ready

Has this been discussed before?

I am wondering if it should be possible to Move and Ready.

I would say it would have to have the following restrictions:

-the object must be already carried on the character's person, or be in the open within reach.

-if the object can be readied with one hand, the character could travel his full move distance, if it requires two (or more) hands the limit is half the distance.

-the character must make a DX roll at -2, failure means the obect is not readied, critical failure means it is dropped.

-the character could opt to avoid the -2 DX penalty by making it a Committed maneuver, in which case his active defences are at -2 on the following turn.

What do folks think?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: [Maneuver] Move and Ready

I would probably make any required roll to ready an object rather easier than you propose. Move and Attack penalizes the attack roll, but readying usually doesn't require a roll at all, so having to make a success roll to ready would already be a substantial disadvantage even without throwing on penalties.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
Plane

nothing in book AFAIK but there was this 2008 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Ready only allows a step, but it also allows the full range of active defenses . . . including defense with whatever it is you just readied.

You're quite welcome to create a Move and Ready maneuver, for fighters who don't know Fast-Draw, that allows full Move but denies you the ability to defend with what you're readying and calls for a DX-2 roll to get the weapon out without tossing it.

Or an All-Out Ready that denies you all defenses but means you automatically get your weapon whilst running at full Move.
Also worth noting in 3e that compendium had an option for sacrificing 1 attack + 1 parry for a ready (pg 74, compendium 2) in the Multiple Attacks Rules preceding Flying Characters in Combat
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post

I would say it would have to have the following restrictions:

-the object must be already carried on the character's person, or be in the open within reach.

-if the object can be readied with one hand, the character could travel his full move distance, if it requires two (or more) hands the limit is half the distance.

-the character must make a DX roll at -2, failure means the obect is not readied, critical failure means it is dropped.

-the character could opt to avoid the -2 DX penalty by making it a Committed maneuver, in which case his active defences are at -2 on the following turn.

What do folks think?
Ready seems to have the action restrictions of step/defend (B325, B551) so this doesn't seem possible.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
Taneli

Or you could develop Fast-Draw -equivalent skills for other readying purposes?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 AM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Or you could develop Fast-Draw -equivalent skills for other readying purposes?
For non-weapon items, GURPS Action 5: Dictionary of Danger pg 4 cover this.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:54 AM   #7
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
For non-weapon items, GURPS Action 5: Dictionary of Danger pg 4 cover this.
Thanks, I knew it was somewhere!
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #8
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post

Since I allow a Ready to be traded for an Attack, I allow it. I only require a Fast-Draw or DX if the Readying is particularly complicated.

Move and draw a weapon from it's easily accessible sheathe? Move and Ready your grip to a different "normal" grip for the weapon (changing Reach with a spear, going form normal to defensive grip with a spear)? No problem.

Move and draw a weapon from a concealed holster, under a heavy jacket, when the jacket is closed? Move and Ready your grip to an abnormal grip for the weapon (changing to holding the spear by the tip for "penetrating chinks in armor", sheathing your dagger between your teeth)? Make a roll.

If it's particularly egregious sounding, I apply the standard "Move and" penalties of -4, skill caps at 9.

Note, I run Action games, on the standard of "Big Action Hero", like John McClane, Rambo, Schwarzenegger movies.

Tags
maneuvers, move, ready