Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #11
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Virtual Table Tops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
That same person maintains a VTT comparison chart, too: http://battlegroundsgames.com/vtt-comparison-chart/
Just be aware that that chart is, at this point nearly 5 years old, and as such is out of date for some of the information.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
Buzzardo

The last line of the table is when each column was updated. Some are only a year and a half old, but, yes, much of it is older. It still offers some value, by giving one a list of criteria to consider.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 02-19-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
SolemnGolem

I took the plunge and got TableTop Simulator, since that's what my gaming group is more familiar with.

I hear you can import your own 2D pictures as maps and then overlay hex grids on them.

I hear you can even assemble 3D dungeons and then do realistic "line of sight" based fog of war removal.

Does anybody have a good link to some Youtube videos or webpages with instructions on how to use TTS for game mapping?
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #14
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
We are using Roll20 to run a TFT game. It doesn't directly support TFT but we make do. Roll20 claims hex grid support but when we first tried it, mostly didn't work.
My groups use Roll20, also for TFT. The only issue I've found w/the hex grid is that I need to elongate (heightwise) any maps I import to use as backgrounds in order to make the hexes on my map match R20's hex grid.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #15
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I took the plunge and got TableTop Simulator, since that's what my gaming group is more familiar with.

I hear you can import your own 2D pictures as maps and then overlay hex grids on them.
Yes. You go into Grid, and select the type and size you want. Play with it. Find what you like. You can then import the maps onto tiles or tokens (tiles work better for me). Resize them, put them where you want them, lock them. Here is a quick dungeon I've put together using a set I purchased from DTRPG.

Always remember to lock your tiles. It becomes annoying if you don't.

Lock them, then use the F8 move function to align them.

Quote:
I hear you can even assemble 3D dungeons and then do realistic "line of sight" based fog of war removal.
It can sorta be done. I haven't tried to do it as it's a lot more work than using FoW with tiles.

Quote:
Does anybody have a good link to some Youtube videos or webpages with instructions on how to use TTS for game mapping?
I don't, sorry.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
SolemnGolem

Thanks! I met with another Steam user online and I've taken a look at TTS and how it works. I took notes and will share them once I've had a chance to sit down and try to recreate my dungeon in virtual format.

I may try to create the inn and underground complex from You All Meet at an Inn.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #17
InexplicableVic

Sorry to come to this conversation late. In my personal opinion, I would say that from a GURPS support standpoint--all unofficial, technically--the top three in order are: (1) FoundryVTT with GURPS Game Aid (by Chris Normand and co.); (2) Fantasy Grounds Unity; and (3) Roll20.

I've used all three and run a DFRPG game using FoundryVTT--it is great and the Game Aid is excellent. Really, really excellent. It was the last one I used and currently use, and that's it--I'm not going back to others because I like this one so much.

Ronnke (not sure of his real name) has put together a very good "system" for Fantasy Grounds, and it is very robust. It's an excellent system, in fact.

Roll20 is solid but has the least amount of support (i.e., I can write a template macro or script to do things...kind of...that are done in FoundryVTT or FGU). That's not to slight the guys (MadCoder, I believe) who have worked on the GURPS Character Sheet and such. It works, and I use it for a game where I'm a player, not a GM.

I recommend checking out the GURPS Discord server (https://discord.gg/SY5Xuaah), and there is a dedicated channel for FoundryVTT (as well as Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds).
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:21 AM   #18
Blind Mapmaker

I'm still using Maptools (https://www.rptools.net/) for GURPS. It's free, open-source, fully customisable, supports drag-and-drop of images and even has limited GURPS frameworks made by users. It also does fancy stuff like vision-blocking, sight-ranges etc. out of the box and has decent tutorials for that.

On the negative side, the interface looks its age (though the programme is continuously updated) and once in a blue moon some player has some java problems that mean the programme can't run properly on their computer (one player out of about twenty in the last four years in my case). You don't get to backup all your stuff to some online platform, of course, but depending on your views that might be preferable. You can use your own server if you want.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
SolemnGolem

Tabletop Simulator Findings

TTS allows you to use any of a number of fan-made free "Workshops". These notes will suppose that the user is using "Counting's DnD 5e Table" for art assets and some scripting stuff.

Getting started: Load up Tabletop Simulator and start a singleplayer session if you're just building maps. (Once you start playing a game session with multiple players, you'll need to use the multiplayer option instead.) Select "Counting's DnD 5e Table".

A few dialog boxes may come up - they can be safely closed (with X or cancel).

You should see a blank table with a square grid. At one end will be various TTS "bags" that contain various little 3D model assets. Any of these can be searched by right click and browsing or input of strings. Click and drag any result onto the TTS main table. (Often, the search results will be smaller bags which can be dragged to table. You can search inside them to find the objects you want.)

Importing your own objects: Some sites, like Heroforge.com, allow you to design your own miniatures in 3D Unity. If these are saved as a ".unity3d" file, you can import them into TTS so your favorite virtual characters and monsters are in-game. To do so, mouseover Objects at the top of the screen menu, and select Components -> Custom -> Asset Bundle. Then click once on the board to place one object, and right click. This brings up the dialogue box - go to the "Main" line and select the directory folder icon, and select your custom ".unity3d" item.

Locking objects: When creating objects to craft a diorama or scene, like a tavern or dungeon, most things (walls, hanging chandeliers, torches, etc.) want to be locked. That is, they will not interact with gravity and will not move from where you put them. To do this, select an object and press "L" and it will stay where you put it in space, even if its supporting objects are removed from underneath it. This also means that you cannot select it again, unless you hold ALT while selecting. Hitting "L" again will unlock it, but this is rarely desired.

Manipulating objects once locked: On the left side of the screen are Gizmos, and these can toggle tools like "Move" (sliding the object left/right, in/out, up/down in 3D space along axes), "Volume Scale" (increasing the object's X, Y, and Z axes), and other tricks like rotating and tilting.

Will add:

Locking more than one object together in relation to each other.

Placing walls and floors, including placing a floor above the other.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:16 AM   #20
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Importing your own objects: Some sites, like Heroforge.com, allow you to design your own miniatures in 3D Unity. If these are saved as a ".unity3d" file, you can import them into TTS so your favorite virtual characters and monsters are in-game. To do so, mouseover Objects at the top of the screen menu, and select Components -> Custom -> Asset Bundle. Then click once on the board to place one object, and right click. This brings up the dialogue box - go to the "Main" line and select the directory folder icon, and select your custom ".unity3d" item.
If you're using Windows 10, you can use the integrated 3dBuilder program to import many different formats (including STLs), decimate them down to sub-30k triangles and export as OBJs to load directly into TTS. Word of warning, make sure they're tiny or they'll be humongous. Also, have them lying down (face up) in the builder.

Decimation is done under Edit -> Simplify. (Sorry, Decimation is the Daz|Studio term, and I think in those terms for stuff like this.)

Additionally, you can re-export an STL as a high-poly OBJ, download Unity and the Tabletop Simulator Modding Master file for Unity and export high-poly OBJs as Unity assets (Unity3D files). I did that here with some STLs for BattleTech.

Some times, even if you've got a model that should be just fine, TTS won't load it. Times like that, I'll usually import it into Unity and export it as a Unity Asset.

Now, an important safety note about downloading OBJs from the interwebs:
They're not rigged for animation, so expect a lot of t-poses. I'm working on learning how to add rigging in Daz|Studio so I can pose figures like that myself.

Also, for creating OBJs, you can get a TinkerCad account (for free) and build your own models, export them as OBJs, use Win10's 3dBuilder to make sure they're oriented, then load them into TTS.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote