Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Default Rulebook PDF Posted

The 99.9% finished rulebook, as well as the Player Reference Sheet, are posted at http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstar...e_rulebook.pdf and http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstar..._ref_sheet.pdf. See anything wrong? Let us know in this thread.

Please don’t post the same comment here and on the parallel BGG thread, and if somebody else has already pointed out a typo, there’s no need to post “I see it too.” Of course, if a real “what does this rule mean?” question comes up (let alone a “this rule is a change from the old game and is stupid”), discussion will be appreciated!

This will be your first look at the Brandon Moore illustrations of our “portrait” supporters on the Ogre battlefield. I really like these. My thanks again to the supporters, and I hope you all survive into the next scene.

We expect to post the Scenarios book on Monday (with the rest of the portraits).

Daniel and I are still talking about a few lines in the rulebook, here and there, but only a few. He’s at Essen right now. If you’re there, drop by the Pegasus booth and say hi!

In-house checking of the counter and overlay sheets is now well along. No major problems found. We’re not going to post all 39 for comment, but we’ll put up a counter sheet and an overlay sheet so you can see them.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Buzzardo
 
Buzzardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

I just flipped through them to look at the production values. They're very nicely done.
__________________
Play Ogre? Want an interactive record sheet?

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
SCUBA Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

7.13.2 Attacks on Ogre Treads

Question: Are multiple infantry squads in the same hex required to fire as a group, required to fire separately, or can the firing player choose how to group them?

That is, if there are three infantry squads in the same hex firing on an Ogre's treads, must they make a single roll at an Attack Strength of three, three rolls each at an Attack Strength of one, or may the firing player choose either of the above or a roll at an Attack Strength of one and a second roll at an Attack Strength of two?

Last edited by SCUBA Hero; 10-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.
SCUBA Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
buzzkill
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: pasadeana .CA
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

So cool looks fantastic!!!!!!
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
tomc
 
tomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

It looks very nice!
__________________
OgreMap2

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBA Hero View Post
7.13.2 Attacks on Ogre Treads

Question: Are multiple infantry squads in the same hex required to fire as a group, required to fire separately, or can the firing player choose how to group them?

That is, if there are three infantry squads in the same hex firing on an Ogre's treads, must they make a single roll at an Attack Strength of three, three rolls each at an Attack Strength of one, or may the firing player choose either of the above or a roll at an Attack Strength of one and a second roll at an Attack Strength of two?
See 7.07.1

Infantry can divide up its attack however you see fit. With a squad of 3, you could attack with any variation; one 3-squad, one 2-squad and one 1-squad, or three 1-squad attacks.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
ScarecrowKing
 
ScarecrowKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
See 7.07.1

Infantry can divide up its attack however you see fit. With a squad of 3, you could attack with any variation; one 3-squad, one 2-squad and one 1-squad, or three 1-squad attacks.
He was asking about treads in particular. In that case, each squad must fire separately.

-Brian
ScarecrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
He was asking about treads in particular. In that case, each squad must fire separately.

-Brian
Actually, the problem is it isn't clear that is the case. The rules say infantry can be grouped how you want, effectively deciding what infantry "units" with which you are attacking. It does not say each squad within the group must fire individually, or that each squad represents a "unit".

7.13.2 only says each "unit" must attack treads individually, implying that if I decide to have a 2-squad "unit" and a 1-squad "unit", I will have two attacks.

There should be an explicit description of how infantry attacks treads.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
dwalend
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
He was asking about treads in particular. In that case, each squad must fire separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Actually, the problem is it isn't clear that is the case. The rules say infantry can be grouped how you want, effectively deciding what infantry "units" with which you are attacking. It does not say each squad within the group must fire individually, or that each squad represents a "unit".

7.13.2 only says each "unit" must attack treads individually, implying that if I decide to have a 2-squad "unit" and a 1-squad "unit", I will have two attacks.

There should be an explicit description of how infantry attacks treads.
We've always played the way ScarecrowKing reads it: each squad fires separately. That's almost always what's best for the attacker, and it vastly speeds up the end of a game if you have enough dice. (The rare exception is when you must take out two or three treads this turn to drop movement on the next turn.)

Maybe just update the example at the end of 7.13.2: "Thus, a successful Heavy Tank attack on treads would cost an Ogre 4 tread units. Each successful infantry squad attack destroys 1 tread unit."

Last edited by dwalend; 10-21-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: clean up
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
DeeJaye6
 
Join Date: May 2006
Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Page 4, Mark III Attack, 2nd paragraph:

You mention "North, Central, and South areas" here, but go on to talk about North Area and South Area, etc. Note that you did not capitalize "area" in the first mention, but you did in every other use of the word "area" in conjunction with North, Central, and South.
DeeJaye6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.