Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Ragabash Moon

Default Re: GURPS IW/Cabal: Jumper (Spirit) Advantage(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Guys, "Spirit" in this case is a specialty of the advantage. It defines a particular form of the trait; it isn't a limitation. I have notes for a 4e version already. To paraphrase Powers:

Jumper (Spirit): You can enter and leave the "spirit worlds" in body. In these realms, you’re a spirit. You can interact normally with the spirits there and use any ability that’s "standard" for spirits in that world. Likewise, anything that affects spirits affects you. To make the transition, use the standard rules for Jumper. Each attempt costs 1 FP. Success on the IQ roll means you shift between realms. Failure means you stay in your current world; you’re at -5 to use this ability again in the next 10 minutes. Critical failure results are up to the GM . . . you might attract evil spirits, end up adrift between worlds, or go to the wrong world (e.g., Hell). The special modifiers for Jumper (World) are available to you, although not all of them are meaningful in every setting. 100 points.

In other words, it's basically Jumper (World) with the built-in limitation "Only for spirit realms" and the built-in enhancement "Transforms to spirit body." It doesn't treat these things as a limitation and an enhancement because the former implies "Access to spirit realms," which can sometimes be more of an enhancement, while the latter implies "Vulnerable to things that affects spirits," which can sometimes be more of a limitation. Due to this complexity, the whole shebang is treated as a new form of Jumper.

I hope that helps!
Yes, but except for does it take time to travel between Homeline and Merlin using it? That's the part I don't understand... I understood the wording except for that part, it was my miswording my question, or misinterpretation of my question, or whatever that created all the confusion...

My intent is to find out how/if to determine the TIME it takes a Jumper (Spirit) user to get from world to world, if they can even do that, or are they limited only to traveling to the astral plane(s) of the world they are on, and must find other ways to travel to other WORLDS.

EDIT: Also, not to be rude, but what it says in Powers means nothing to me, as that book (at least from what you said) doesn't talk about the Infinite Worlds setting and such... I'm sure there would be a difference between the uses of the advantages between Infinite Worlds settings, and SINGLE world settings. One could BAN Jumper (World) under the idea that there ARENT other worlds, and still have the astral planes therefore Jumper (Spirit).

As for Cabal being 3e, it might be, but they are mentioned enough in the new Infinite Worlds book that how they GET to other worlds becomes an issue.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 11-09-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'm not sure I understand the confusion . . . Jumper, like Warp, is instantaneous. If it works, you blip from A to B in zero time. Jumper (World) lets you teleport between two parallel realities instantaneously; Jumper (Spirit) lets you step into the spirit realm instantaneously. Neither has anything to do with "travel" per se. It's possible that some places reached by either form of Jumper might be realms in which it's possible to physically journey to other planes of existence, but that's setting-specific, and not a function of Jumper. If you go somewhere like that, you'll have to walk, use Flight or Warp, ride a specialized vehicle, etc., to travel around.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'm not sure I understand the confusion . . . Jumper, like Warp, is instantaneous. If it works, you blip from A to B in zero time. Jumper (World) lets you teleport between two parallel realities instantaneously; Jumper (Spirit) lets you step into the spirit realm instantaneously. Neither has anything to do with "travel" per se. It's possible that some places reached by either form of Jumper might be realms in which it's possible to physically journey to other planes of existence, but that's setting-specific, and not a function of Jumper. If you go somewhere like that, you'll have to walk, use Flight or Warp, ride a specialized vehicle, etc., to travel around.

That's what I'm saying, so if a Cabal member uses Jumper (Spirit) on Homline, then they are in the ASTRAL plane of Homeline... right? Can they then go to Merlin, must they walk to Merlin's Astral plane then hop back out in Merlin? It seems to suggest this in IW when it says that all the astral worlds are connected, but the journey is dangerous.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon
That's what I'm saying, so if a Cabal member uses Jumper (Spirit) on Homline, then they are in the ASTRAL plane of Homeline... right? Can they then go to Merlin, must they walk to Merlin's Astral plane then hop back out in Merlin? It seems to suggest this in IW when it says that all the astral worlds are connected, but the journey is dangerous.
That does not seem to have an official answer, RM. The astral plane is not mapped, nor even tightly defined; so determining how to get around in it is going to be campaign specific. I'd guess that interworld travel times for a typical Cabal adept (if there is such a thing) would be measured in days, or less. Sort of like going on a cross-country hike through treacherous terrain.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Whether or not various spirit realms are connected is entirely a GM call, as is how to get from one such realm to another by physically journeying. It isn't something that is (or even should be) intrinsic to Jumper, and it isn't a topic that we have a "canon" answer for at this time for the IW setting.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, infinite worlds