Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
JCD

Default Re: In Nomine and GURPS Cabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Can they Redeem into Kyrios, or are Kyrios a separate race entirely? (Of course, given Kyrios' effects on human sanity, people might wonder if the whole Choir wasn't a kind of qlippoth in disguise itself, even if it wasn't Redeemed!)
Well, I never really cottoned to Kyrios, if only for the simple reason that even angelic possession seemed...icky. (It certainly had nothing to do with the fact that I don't really understand them at all...Noooo) Like Lilim and Malakim, there is no 'opposite' of a Shedim in my campaign. Considering how a Shedim acts, Demons take that as a point in Heaven's favor...

Quote:
I agree with you on maybe switching out Mammon. Although perhaps he's a qlippothic opposite of Murmux -- the Aethyrs might be the top-ranked Ethereals, as powerful as Archangels, and perhaps aspects of the Divine; and maybe the Shedite Princes, when they show up, are qlippothic versions of Aethyrs. Saminga would be a version of Menqal (Kurtael), Malphas of Hokmiah (Mardero). Legion would be a lock for Naber of Akton.

(Hmm... and some of those images suggest that Kyriotates would do well for the Aethyrs themselves; Nithaya of Anatreth, for example, "most often manifests as a blurry image of wings." Perhaps this Choir and Band are a whole celestial and infernal race on their own. That might be a bridge too far, though.
I like the idea of having the Aethyrs be Iconic Aspects, though in some ways, it diminishes the the specialness of the Word bound Archangels. <considers> Perhaps the Aethyrs are Shadows of the Archangels and Princes. In many cases, when two shadows intersect, they blur which is why there is not a one to one correspondence in a lot of cases. Those few Archangels who even suspect their existance (Jean, Michael, Lucifer) realize that Uriel wasn't recalled simply because he went too far. He was fast approaching those areas of the Marches which were the stud and lathe sections of reality, the Iconic Realms and who knows what damage he might have done, both to reality and to the very Archangels if he continued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Minor correction. Mammon is a Balseraph.
Well, that takes care of that. Thank you.

To put the War in perspective (at least as I see it), there are the DEMONcrats and the Republicans. They are fighting over the same pie and they get very nasty and messy at times but no one wants to spoil the pie. The Shedim would be seen more as (to use todays' vernacular) Islamofascists or some other Third Columnist element who is only interested in destroying the pie so a new ugly pie can be made in their own image.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
JCD

Default Re: In Nomine and GURPS Cabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Songs as Words of Power makes sense. If you have Liber Canticorum, you might pick just 36 Songs to exist, one for each Decan. Some are easy (Eneuth, Phthenoth); some might be a little trickier (Belbel, Tepsisem).

(Making it easy for me) Hence the 'lost' Words of Power. The Cabalists, who still haven't gotten the memo about the 2 other planets, probably wouldn't understand there being more then 36 'Words of Power'. The lens through which they view the world narrows their vision as much as it exposes.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, setting