Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
antee

Default Interfering in combat

Hello!

Recently we have big discussing about using "FriendShip Potion", "Monsters are busy", "Out to lunch" and etc.

Okay, two situations:
1) Player A is fighting with monster, he uses a pollymorph potion and defeat it... could player B play friendship potion (or out to lunch, or something like that), to prevenet player A taking treasures?

2) Player A is fighting with 2 or more monsters and he gets rid of one of them with pollymorph or wizard power... player B uses friendship/out to lunch and etc... would player A get treasures for defeated monster?

Thanks for ur help!
antee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
snarky

Default Re: Interfering in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antee View Post
Hello!

Recently we have big discussing about using "FriendShip Potion", "Monsters are busy", "Out to lunch" and etc.

Okay, two situations:
1) Player A is fighting with monster, he uses a pollymorph potion and defeat it... could player B play friendship potion (or out to lunch, or something like that), to prevenet player A taking treasures?

2) Player A is fighting with 2 or more monsters and he gets rid of one of them with pollymorph or wizard power... player B uses friendship/out to lunch and etc... would player A get treasures for defeated monster?

Thanks for ur help!

1. No - once Pollymorph takes effect, there are no more creatures to make friendly ("...and flies away..."). Combat is over, treasure is A's for the taking.

2. Yes, combat is resolved when the 2nd monster is removed by B, but that doesn't mean that monster #1 was not "defeated". A gets all the benefit of his success against #1, but no benefit (unless allowed by the card played) from monster #2.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
antee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
1. No - once Pollymorph takes effect, there are no more creatures to make friendly ("...and flies away..."). Combat is over, treasure is A's for the taking.

2. Yes, combat is resolved when the 2nd monster is removed by B, but that doesn't mean that monster #1 was not "defeated". A gets all the benefit of his success against #1, but no benefit (unless allowed by the card played) from monster #2.
So,if i understood right, if moster is defeated, he is kicked off from fight and any futher cards will not affect him? And what with abilities, that provide you a level for moster? (for example - Epic Orc may eat lvl1 monster and get a level, if he is fighting with 2 monsters and he eats one of them... no cards can prevent it?)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
snarky

Quote:
So,if i understood right, if moster is defeated, he is kicked off from fight and any futher cards will not affect him? And what with abilities, that provide you a level for moster? (for example - Epic Orc may eat lvl1 monster and get a level, if he is fighting with 2 monsters and he eats one of them... no cards can prevent it?)
Only cards that remove a monster from a fight remove a monster from the fight. Pollymorph, Out to Lunch, etc - these all explicitly remove a monster from the fight. Other cards (I don't have my decks handy) affect the monster but don't remove them from the fight.

The general rule is that you fight all monsters at the same time, unless they are otherwise removed from combat via some effect or power.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
antee

In addition, i have one more question - for example i faced stoned golem, card says i may simple walk away... a should decide before fighting, would i fight or not... or i have option to change my mide whenever i want?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
snarky

Quote:
In addition, i have one more question - for example i faced stoned golem, card says i may simple walk away... a should decide before fighting, would i fight or not... or i have option to change my mide whenever i want?
I'm pretty sure there's a specific ruling on this, though I can't recall exactly what it was, and my Google-fu fails me. I think I would say that you could change your mind whenever someone enhances the monster, just as you can decide to ask for help or not.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a specific ruling on this, though I can't recall exactly what it was, and my Google-fu fails me. I think I would say that you could change your mind whenever someone enhances the monster, just as you can decide to ask for help or not.
I haven't been able to find it either but my understanding is that once you choose to fight the stoned golem you fight it. You have chosen not to just walk past and wave. So if someone enhances it you still must fight. However it does not chase you. That is how I recall. You can choose but once choice is made it is done. Perhaps we should wait for someone to point us all to the ruling.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
I haven't been able to find it either but my understanding is that once you choose to fight the stoned golem you fight it. You have chosen not to just walk past and wave. So if someone enhances it you still must fight. However it does not chase you. That is how I recall. You can choose but once choice is made it is done. Perhaps we should wait for someone to point us all to the ruling.
If it doesn't chase you, it's essentially the same as deciding whether you want to fight it or not (though I'm assuming its combat power goes over yours - but if it didn't why wouldn't you want to fight it?)...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Yes, please wait before making declarations about what was said officially, especially if you can't find it, and let Andrew or I cover it. The Stoned Golem case, I think, never got resolved internally, so the best you can find is me always saying that you never have to fight the Stoned Golem if you don't want to (so long as you're not a Halfling or Gnome, and don't want to discard your Race), and Andrew saying (paraphrased), "I don't think that's right, so I'm going to close the open discussion on the forums until such time as we can discuss it internally." The best link I've found for this is here, and it's the fourth item on the list when searching for "stoned golem." We discussed it internally and never came to a formal conclusion that I can locate in my e-mail. Andrew and I will have to stir things up and make a decision.

antee: You are correct, if a Monster is removed from the combat, it can no longer be modified (it's not there anymore to be modified). You still have to give the other players a reasonable amount of time to prevent you from getting away with a win (where "win" is defined by not having to Run Away, even if you didn't actually kill the Monsters), so they can add new Monsters, or find other legal ways to mess with you, but they can't modify a Monster you have removed from the combat with a charm spell or Pollymorph Potion, or, as you suggested, the Epic Orc's Monster Munch ability, or other, similar circumstances.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 02-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
antee

and one more:

could some interferer in fight if epic orc eats lvl 1 monster?
add new one with woundering?
tsteal the fight with trasferal potion? (in this case, would orc get a level for eating or not?)

Tags
combat, enhancers