Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Gidoza

Default What A Door Hireling Can Use

The Hirelings in Need For Steed read that (for example, a Thief Hireling) it can use any item that would be usable by a Thief. So, which of these situations is the correct interpretation of this line...

1. This Hireling can only use items that say "usable by Thief only" on them.
2. This Hireling can use any item that is "Thief only" or has no class/race restrictions on it.
3. This Hireling can use any items that are "Thief only," have no class restriction on them, AND any items with a race restriction (because a Thief can indeed use an Orc item if the Thief is an Orc, but the Hireling's race is unspecified...).
4. This Hireling can use any items except items that say "not usable by Thief" (for nothing stops a Thief from being a Super Munchkin, and therefore even a Thief can use Warrior items if it is a Super Munchkin Thief-Warrior). And perhaps even "not usable by Thief" items would apply, for Super Munchkin Thieves can use these, too.
5. With respect to 3. and 4., if these aren't interpreted correctly on the face of it, then does the player's own race/class/Super Munchkinliness/whatever influence what the Hireling could carry?

6. Also, the standard Hirelings from the earlier decks have a different description on them. I am presuming that they can use ANY item as described on the card, but tossing them to the monsters only permits escape from ONE monster, unlike the Door Hirelings, which allow someone to escape from the whole combat.

Please inform as to which of these scenarios is correct...thanks!
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: What A Door Hireling Can Use

2) is correct, with the added exception that the Class/Race based Hirelings also have a gender (which should be obvious from the art), which means that a male Thief Hireling could not use the Broad Sword. 6) is not of the same kind of scenarios, so it shouldn't be numbered as it were. The Hireling found in Munchkin and Munchkin 3 is indeed different, in that it is more like a Cheat! card with a +1 bonus and the added ability to help you escape from combat. So, yes, that Hireling can use any Item for you, regardless of whether it's Armor, Footgear, Headgear, or takes up more Hands than you might have, or of any Race, Class, gender, or other restrictions the Item might have.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Clipper

I've been under the understanding that if you don't have a set that includes Hireling rules in the decks, then the generic Hireling from Munchkin, Munchkin 3 and Munchkin Legends can only help you (and not your partner) escape one monster, while if you do have any set with the Hireling rules included, it gets the extra Hireling rule that it can escape all the monsters and optionally includes your partner (although you could still choose it's written power to only Run Away from one of them if you wanted, I guess). You could also have all three Hirelings in play unless you have a set with the Hireling rules, as the restriction on having only one Hireling is only mentioned in those rules.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Gidoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I've been under the understanding that if you don't have a set that includes Hireling rules in the decks, then the generic Hireling from Munchkin, Munchkin 3 and Munchkin Legends can only help you (and not your partner) escape one monster, while if you do have any set with the Hireling rules included, it gets the extra Hireling rule that it can escape all the monsters and optionally includes your partner (although you could still choose it's written power to only Run Away from one of them if you wanted, I guess). You could also have all three Hirelings in play unless you have a set with the Hireling rules, as the restriction on having only one Hireling is only mentioned in those rules.

Has this been officially ruled somewhere? Because the rules would seem to contradict that...to the extent that the primary game rules say that the game rules apply in all situations unless a card says otherwise. Well, the standard Hireling cards would say otherwise, and this would seem to override the rules from the game package. But this seems fair IMO, seeing as standard Hirelings are indeed like a Cheat! card, and in that respect, superior for item use than other Hirelings, so I wouldn't be the least bit upset if these Hirelings only permitted retreat from a single monster as the card says.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
Has this been officially ruled somewhere? Because the rules would seem to contradict that...to the extent that the primary game rules say that the game rules apply in all situations unless a card says otherwise. Well, the standard Hireling cards would say otherwise, and this would seem to override the rules from the game package. But this seems fair IMO, seeing as standard Hirelings are indeed like a Cheat! card, and in that respect, superior for item use than other Hirelings, so I wouldn't be the least bit upset if these Hirelings only permitted retreat from a single monster as the card says.
The rule written on Hireling does not say it overrides, undoes nor blocks the general rule provided to all Hirelings by the Hireling rules and they don't contradict each other. That says to me that you can use the rule on the card that to escape from one monster or you can use the rule from the rules to escape from all monsters with or without your helper.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Gidoza

I have to disagree (sorry)...if it's what a card says, then that's what I play, regardless of the general rules, since that's what the general rules say to do! I'll have to hear an official ruling otherwise for this one.

On a different matter...the Henchwench Hireling can't carry an item, can it? Just checking.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
I have to disagree (sorry)...if it's what a card says, then that's what I play, regardless of the general rules, since that's what the general rules say to do! I'll have to hear an official ruling otherwise for this one.
Hmm, upon searching for previous rulings, I did find this, where it is mentioned that the ambiguity of the text means Hireling might be able to allow escape from multiple monsters even without the Hireling rules... Turns out we both might be wrong. I'd still say that your helper can't be given the benefit unless you are using a set with that rule in it, though.

Quote:
On a different matter...the Henchwench Hireling can't carry an item, can it? Just checking.
Nope. The rules are clear that only the Hirelings that say they can carry an Item can carry an Item.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Gidoza

Gotcha. Thanks, Clipper!