Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default TL 10 Humans

Human [250]

By TL 10, 'baseline' humans are the product of centuries of eugenic germline engineering and inherited symbiotic bacteria. They live four times as long as humans did at TL 8 but, due to eugenic germline engineering, mature at the same rate as humans at TL 8, meaning that they can enjoy over three centuries of activity. They are a conservative design, lacking many of the extremes of other variant designs and were designed for a society that prefers generally useful citizens rather than specialized citizens.

With their long lifespans, humans are capable of becoming very competent individuals and belong to societies that reward lifelong education and personal development. The average human at TL 10 will reach 500 points by the end of their first century, 750 points by the end of their second century, and 1,000 points by the end of their third century. With TL 10 medicine combined with their eugenic germline engineering and inherited symbiotic bacteria, they are capable of surviving into their sixth century without difficulty, though accidents will claim most of them as they become bored with existence and start to take unnecessary risks.

The symbiotic bacteria used by humans at TL 10 are assumed to provide benefits one TL earlier than nanosymbionts (Biotech, p. 121), so advantages that would come from TL 11 nanosymbionts are available as TL 10 symbiotic bacteria. In order to maintain stable populations of symbiotic bacteria within individuals, the symbiotic bacteria are designed to be sexually communicable and to be transferred from mother to child within the womb. The relevant modifications are Blood Cops, Carcinophages, DNA Repair, Microgravity Biochemistry, Pore Cleaners, and Tooth Cleaners.

While humans at TL 10 are designed for general utility, they possess modifications that allow them to survive indefinitely in space. While they prefer 1g and would like sufficient shielding to negate cosmic radiation, they are capable of surviving for centuries in 0g and with only sufficient shielding to protect against solar storms without difficulty. In fact, the majority of humans probably live in space, while the minority of humans that remains on the Earth uses TL 10 technology to repair the damage done by centuries of human civilization.

Attributes: ST+2 [20]; DX+1 [20]; IQ+2 [40]; HT+3 [30]

Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Breath-Holding 2 [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Eidetic Memory [5]; Extended Lifespan 2 [4]; Flexibility [5]; Fit [5]; High Path Threshold [10]; Immunity to Cancers [5]; Intuition [15]; Language Talent [10]; Less Sleep 4 [8]; Longevity [2]; Night Vision 2 [2]; No Degeneration in Zeno-G [1]; Rapid Healing [5]; Regeneration (Slow; Radiation Only, -60%) [4]; Resistance to Metabolic Hazards (+8) [15]; Sanitized Metabolism [1]; Versatile [5]; Voice [10]

Features: Early Maturation 2 [0]; Light Menses [0]; Tooth Cleaners [0]

Notes: Less Sleep does not occur until maturity (age 18) due to sleep requirements of rapidly developing brains.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: TL 10 Humans

I don't know if Appearance (Attractive) is appropriate.

C and I used to joke that if we travelled a few centuries into the past, we would probably be considered Attractive: exceptionally tall (5'8" and 5'7"), no missing teeth, no smallpox scars. . . . But in the early 21st, we're just Average. Your TL10 humans might strike us as Attractive, with their perfect complexions and unusually symmetrical bodies and faces, but I'm not sure that in their own era this wouldn't be discounted.

I think it depends on whether you think the human aesthetic response habituates or not.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Phantasm

Here's my setting's take on future humans:

Humans
("hyū´-măns" or "yū´-măns")
42 points

Humans originated on the third planet in the Sol system, and have a long history of fighting each other over resources and differing ideologies even before achieving space flight. This penchant for fighting amongst themselves gives the species a reputation for being reckless, treacherous, and even somewhat suicidal.

They are an aggressive, prolific, and organized species. It has also been remarked that Humans tend to think in mobs, often blindly following a charismatic or powerful leader.

Thanks to genetic engineering in the mid to late 21st Century, Humans are stronger, healthier, and live for twice as long as they were for most of their history. Still, there are some Human colonies on the frontier that eschew such genetic enhancements; some were founded before the Human genome stabilized, others have voluntarily removed these enhancements through additional genetic manipulation, in an effort to "return to a pure race".

Due to colonization and adaptation during the 21st and 22nd Centuries, a number of variant Humans are known to exist. The most common variants are those designed to survive on planets with heavier or (more commonly) lower gravities, and on stations without artificial gravity.

World of Origin: Earth (Sol III).
Average Height: 167 cm (5' 6")
Average Mass: 65.77 kg (145 lbs)
Home Gravity: 1 G
Average Life Span: 160 Earth years.
Attribute Adjustments: ST +2 [20]; HT +2 [20].
Advantages: Extended Lifespan 1 (×2) [2].
Lenses:
Heavy Worlder (+26): Increase ST by +2 [20], add Improved G-Tolerance (0.5 G) [10], and Unattractive [-4]. Increase Home Gravity to between 1.5G and 2G, increase average mass to 131.5 kg (290 lbs), and keep height (if calculated) between 157 cm (5' 2") and 182 cm (6') (or roughly one foot/30 cm shorter than the average height for that ST). This typically represents a native of a "Super-Earth" planet.
Light Worlder (+10): Decrease ST by 2 [-20], add Long Arms [20] and Long Legs [10]; decrease Home Gravity to between 0.2G and 0.7G; increase average height for their ST by 45 to 61 cm (1.5 to 2 feet) while keeping weight roughly the same. This typically represents someone who hails from one of the low-gravity planets or moons, such as Mars or Titan.
Spacer (+5): Decrease ST by 2 [-20], increase DX by 1 [20]; add Prehensile Toes [4], Radiation Tolerance 2 [5], No Denigration in Zero-G [1], and Skinny [-5]. Decrease Home Gravity to 0G; increase height by up to 91 cm (3') over the norm, and decrease weight by 50%. Many Spacers also have 3D Spatial Sense and Free Fall from growing up in Zero-G, but this is not part of the template.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

C and I used to joke that if we travelled a few centuries into the past, we would probably be considered Attractive: exceptionally tall (5'8" and 5'7"), no missing teeth, no smallpox scars. . . . But in the early 21st, we're just Average. Your TL10 humans might strike us as Attractive, with their perfect complexions and unusually symmetrical bodies and faces, but I'm not sure that in their own era this wouldn't be discounted.

I think it depends on whether you think the human aesthetic response habituates or not.
5'8" is pretty close to average male height for most of medieval England. And there was quite a bit more variation in sizes then, so even my 6' or so height wouldn't be freakishily lovely.
Our looking much younger to locals than we are might give more pause though.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
tanksoldier

Quote:
I agree with this. IMO appearance bonuses and penalties accrue for deviation from the norm for that culture/time/place.

...what was attractive in TL4 Italy would not necessarily be attractive in TL8 USA, and vice versa.

I also suspect that by TL10 most humans will be largely homogenized. There will be few people who stand out as Asian, or African or whatever. Heights and weights will have averaged out. This may lead to some people attempting to stand out, perhaps even leading to cosmetic surgery.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Maz

"Combat Reflexes" and to a degree also "High Pain Threshold" seems weird to me to have in a 'standard human', unless they come from a template originall cultivated for warfare or very dangerous exploration on other planets.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Agemegos

Quote:
In my usual TL10 SF setting I use the mechanics of Off-the-shelf Looks for characters who grew up on wealthy worlds with perfect nutrition, perfect health, no stress, and ideal exercise regimes.

Quote:
C and I used to joke that if we travelled a few centuries into the past, we would probably be considered Attractive: exceptionally tall (5'8" and 5'7"), no missing teeth, no smallpox scars. . . . But in the early 21st, we're just Average.
When I was growing up I was kind of tall (and exceptionally robust, but that's another story). From year 7 to year 10 in the little high school I went to I was regularly third tallest out of twenty-two or twenty-three boys in my year, and I ended up 179 cm tall (5'10.5"). But compared with my nephews' contemporaries I am pretty short. Improved nutrition, immunisation, better treatment of childhood disease, reduced stress during childhood, and better athletic training seems to have produced, out of the same genetic material as my contemporaries, a swarm of young men over 180 cm tall (and one of my nephews is 197 cm tall).

Apparently the state of affairs in which the great bulk of men are distributed within a range of about a foot in height (say, 5'4" to 6'4") is the sum effect of about six inches of variation due to genetics and six inches of variation due to childhood environment. Give every child the same nutrition and exercise, the same experience of illness in childhood, the same profile of exposure to stress hormones, and the standard deviation of height would be cut in half. Make that the nutrition and exercise, the health and absence of stress that produces the tallest young men today, and you would raise the average height by three inches. The typical range of male height would contract from 5'4"–6'4" to 5'10"–6'–4".

Quote:
Your TL10 humans might strike us as Attractive, with their perfect complexions and unusually symmetrical bodies and faces, but I'm not sure that in their own era this wouldn't be discounted.

Well, height is clearly a component of attractiveness in men at least, and that must surely be judged relatively.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-07-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
"Combat Reflexes" and to a degree also "High Pain Threshold" seems weird to me to have in a 'standard human', unless they come from a template originall cultivated for warfare or very dangerous exploration on other planets.
Agreed. High Pain Threshold may be able to be genetically engineered into the genome, but Combat Reflexes is as much a "we're constantly on the lookout for danger" trait as it is "react better to danger". The key word in both parts, however, is "danger". What would the timeline look like that led to practically everyone being on alert for danger all the time?

The OP's Humans seem like they had been gengineered to produce a "Proud Warrior Race".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-07-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Humabout

I take issue ever making players pay to not get cancer. Immunity to Cancer is more is just Immunity to My GM Being a Dick and Arbitrarily Making My PC Die Horribly.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Agree with this too. Combat Reflexes implies not only reacting, but reacting _appropriately_ to a combat situation.

It's something learned by experience... or perhaps programming... but probably wouldn't be a racial trait. Most Klingons, for example, might HAVE it but that's because in their culture they have plenty of opportunity to LEARN it. They aren't born with it.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote