Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Miscellaneous Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post

5) Yes, your first example is closer to what I had in mind. I don't know if you, or anyone else, are familiar with Naruto, but the manga has a very similar situation.
Ah Naruto.
Ok buy the demon as an Unwilling Ally.
Gives you a nice discount on the Ally cost which you can later buy off.
You might even buy powers with the limitation Granted by Familiar since the Demon controls that and is not always willing.
Normally a big part of that limitation is your familiar being taken away, here that cant happen but it usually does not want to help so I would call that valid.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ah Naruto.
Ok buy the demon as an Unwilling Ally.
Gives you a nice discount on the Ally cost which you can later buy off.
You might even buy powers with the limitation Granted by Familiar since the Demon controls that and is not always willing.
Normally a big part of that limitation is your familiar being taken away, here that cant happen but it usually does not want to help so I would call that valid.
Yes! So freaking close!
Now... Is there any special way to represent that the ally is metaphysically inside the character or is that just a feature?
I do believe this is the last bit of info I'll need.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Yes! So freaking close!
Now... Is there any special way to represent that the ally is metaphysically inside the character or is that just a feature?
I do believe this is the last bit of info I'll need.
That would just be part of the Ally abilities.
Give it the Spirit Metatrait so its Insubstantial and gets numerous other benefits.
Also give it Possession with the Spirit Enhancement and the disadvantage No Legs (portable) [-30]
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
That would just be part of the Ally abilities.
Give it the Spirit Metatrait so its Insubstantial and gets numerous other benefits.
Also give it Possession with the Spirit Enhancement and the disadvantage No Legs (portable) [-30]
Sounds good to me!
One last thing: How would I model the whole "inner world" thing? Or could I just use the meditation skill for that and roleplay it from there?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Sounds good to me!
One last thing: How would I model the whole "inner world" thing? Or could I just use the meditation skill for that and roleplay it from there?
Yeah I would handle that as a special effect of Meditation.
Or even telepathy if the Demon uses it to talk with him using a variation on sensory. Unless it provides a game benefit you should not be paying points for it. I do not see a benefit for talking to his demon as if they were in a virtual world rather then just voice to voice.
In fact I can see some possible drawbacks :)
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

I know I said I was done... BUT!

What if I went the Phantom Voices route? Use the -15 point version and modify it just a bit so that if the character fails the Will roll then he is possessed by the demon? I think that seems more or less fair.

Also, when possessed, when do you get to make rolls to become un-possessed? I can't seem to find the rules on this. Pardon me if I'm stupidly missing them. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
I know I said I was done... BUT!

What if I went the Phantom Voices route? Use the -15 point version and modify it just a bit so that if the character fails the Will roll then he is possessed by the demon? I think that seems more or less fair.

Also, when possessed, when do you get to make rolls to become un-possessed? I can't seem to find the rules on this. Pardon me if I'm stupidly missing them. Thanks.
Phantom Voices is not how I would build Naruto, most of his life he never even knew the demon was there. However it works for a lot of possession types and could for you.
As to recovering the short answer is you dont.
Its fail and your locked up kind of thing not a constant battle.
That would be why its so pricey.
What you need for the demon not to be able to permanently take over is a limitation on Posession.
Making it cost FP or limited duration for example.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Phantom Voices is not how I would build Naruto, most of his life he never even knew the demon was there. However it works for a lot of possession types and could for you.
As to recovering the short answer is you dont.
Its fail and your locked up kind of thing not a constant battle.
That would be why its so pricey.
What you need for the demon not to be able to permanently take over is a limitation on Posession.
Making it cost FP or limited duration for example.
Actually, I think what stops him from trying the possession is the +5 the host gets to resist if he is wary. The thing that makes him try to possess during stress is that the host isn't paying attention. I feel like that fits. He's too lazy to put in that much effort.

And like Naruto gets at certain stages, how could I make the possession cause physical changes to the host's body (as in Alternate Form)? Preferably I'd like it to be an advantage on the demon's side rather than costing my character more points. Haha.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
And like Naruto gets at certain stages, how could I make the possession cause physical changes to the host's body (as in Alternate Form)? Preferably I'd like it to be an advantage on the demon's side rather than costing my character more points. Haha.
The demon can buy an Affliction or AF.
AF is a little more of a judgement call since its affecting another but since at that point he is in control of the body its really his to do with as he pleases.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
The demon can buy an Affliction or AF.
AF is a little more of a judgement call since its affecting another but since at that point he is in control of the body its really his to do with as he pleases.
What if you mix them? The demon can afflict an Alternate Form.

Tags
advantage, balance, compartmentalized mind, rune magic, wild mana generator