Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
GnomesofZurich

Default Steampunk Character concept

I'm working on a cinematic Victorian Sci-Fi/Steampunk game for the fall. As the members of my game group have little or no experience with GURPS, I was planning on pre-making a set of characters, but am having trouble with one of the general concepts.

The game will be using Rev Pee Kitty's house rules (notably Per and Will split from IQ), and some of the rules introduced in Monster Hunters (Hypercompetency for Wildcard skills and Destiny). Tentatively looking at 200 point characters with -50 point disadvantage limit.

The game is set in the 1890s, at TL(5+1), and the characters are all British or colonials in the service of Queen and Country. The main opposition is a nation set up in Antarctica by a scientist who was sentenced to transportation (before that practice was stopped) for 'immoral experimentation'.

The general character concepts include:

Butler - stereotypical British butler, who serves one of the gentry (which is the character concept I'm trying to figure out).
Key traits: Unfazeable [15]; Schtick (Sartorial Integrity) [1]; and Servant! (GURPS Supers)

Jack of All Trades - well traveled sailor, explorer and former military member.
Key traits: Cultural Adaptability [10]; Language Talent [10]; Serendipity (Aspected, Social, -20%) [12]; Wild Talent (Retention, +25%; Retention Only, ?%) [?].

Fake - Fraudulent medium and trickster.
Key traits: Charisma [5]; Honest Face [1]; Social Chameleon [5]; Voice [10] and Fake! (GURPS Supers)

Inventor - gadgeteer; wields a stun-sword.
Key traits: Gadgeteer [25]; Gizmos 3 [15]; Versatile [5] and Inventor! (GURPS Monster Hunters)

Medium - a real medium, who has encountered and exposed the fake (above) before. Wields a defensible brolly (GURPS Steam-tech, p. 9).
Key traits: Autotrance [1]; Channelling [10]; Medium (Universal, +50%) [15]; Spirit Empathy (Specialized, Ghosts, -50%) [5]; Phantom Voices or Split Personality (involuntary Channelling).

Sword-stick Swashbuckler - secret agent who dual wields a swordcane and scabbard (treat as a baton or short staff).
Key traits: Weapon Master (sword-stick and scabbard) [25]; Off-Hand Weapon training (Smallsword) [1]; Smallsword and Dual-Weapon Attack (Smallsword).

I would like to include one of the Gentry with appropriate Status and Wealth, and Delusion ("I can beat any lower-class foe") from Martial Arts, but am trying to figure out a concept to make it an enjoyable character. Any advice? A gentleman scientist (with Science!)?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Steampunk Character concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I would like to include one of the Gentry with appropriate Status and Wealth, and Delusion ("I can beat any lower-class foe") from Martial Arts, but am trying to figure out a concept to make it an enjoyable character. Any advice? A gentleman scientist (with Science!)?
Status and Wealth go a long way, sort of like Wooster and Jeeves, Jeeves spent his points on being a competent butler, Wooster spent his points on Wealth and Status.

That being said, if you want a feel like what the current Sherlock Holmes does in his bouts, you could give the Gent the Visualization power at the Reduced Time 7 level.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Celti

Quote:
Wild Talent (Retention, +25%; Retention Only, ?%) [?].
If you're trying to model "I can spend character points on a skill at any time" I think Reawakened is a better advantage to base it on. Just change the flavour text so instead of past lives it's his long and varied experience in this life.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Status and Wealth go a long way, sort of like Wooster and Jeeves, Jeeves spent his points on being a competent butler, Wooster spent his points on Wealth and Status.

<snip>.
If you ask me, Wooster spent most of his points on having Jeeves as a butler. He might be of a good familily but he depends on the money one of his aunts give him. Of course she wants something in return, but Jeeves makes sure this is in accordance with *his* wishes.

By jove those books and TV episodes are good!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
If you ask me, Wooster spent most of his points on having Jeeves as a butler. He might be of a good familily but he depends on the money one of his aunts give him. Of course she wants something in return, but Jeeves makes sure this is in accordance with *his* wishes.
That money from his aunt is Independent Income in GURPS terms, the Wealth is the multiplier.
Helping his aunt is not a job, but it's a Duty which comes up on a 6-, or maybe 9-.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
That money from his aunt is Independent Income in GURPS terms, the Wealth is the multiplier.
Helping his aunt is not a job, but it's a Duty which comes up on a 6-, or maybe 9-.
Wouldn't that be a Patron?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
GnomesofZurich

The intent of the Wild Talent is for the JoAT to be able to, in a pinch, come up with a useful skill that no one else has. I somewhat dislike the idea though that the person gets one skill roll, and then when a similar situation arises in the future the person can't remember that skill (which is why I was trying to cobble together the Retention, Retention Only modifiers). Reawakened may be a better fit, possibly with a Pact (Niche protection).

I'm not actually familiar with Wooster and Jeeves, but that does sound like the kind of relationship I'm envisioning. 'Wooster' may have Status 3 and Very Wealthy (40 points in total), plus Savoir-Faire, Connoisseur and one or more additional Languages, while Jeeves has Unfazeable, possibly Indomitable, and the Sense of Duty or Code of Honor (perhaps even Fanatacism (Provide service to my master), and gets him out of binds. The issue is that 'Wooster' has to have some specific competence, because I don't believe any of my players would enjoy playing a bumbling baffoon. I had considered making him a baffoon in public with Secret (Spy), but then points will start getting tight when one or more of Rank, Legal Immunity and/or Security Clearance getting added.

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 08-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
The issue is that 'Wooster' has to have some specific competence, because I don't believe any of my players would enjoy playing a bumbling baffoon.
Being a wealthy aristocrat is Wooster's specific competence - It's probably easiest to grasp the relationship if you bear in mind that, in most games, Jeeves would be the PC and Wooster his incorrigible high-value Dependent.

That said, I played a pretty close homage to Wooster in our last parlor mystery game, and had a lot of fun with it. I had all the social skills and could casually speak to high-Status people who would've had some of the others flogged for the attempt, so my plot-moving contributions were significant even though my PC was essentially a rich, drunken, idiot man-child.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Being a wealthy aristocrat is Wooster's specific competence - It's probably easiest to grasp the relationship if you bear in mind that, in most games, Jeeves would be the PC and Wooster his incorrigible high-value Dependent.

That said, I played a pretty close homage to Wooster in our last parlor mystery game, and had a lot of fun with it. I had all the social skills and could casually speak to high-Status people who would've had some of the others flogged for the attempt, so my plot-moving contributions were significant even though my PC was essentially a rich, drunken, idiot man-child.
Point taken. One of the plot points of the game will be that this new nation, who has been building itself up in secret over the last twenty-odd years, has begun establishing embassies in the major cities of Europe, with the notable exception of London. Making 'Wooster' a diplomat with his entourage/support staff explains his presence. If no one feels like taking on the role, he could become an Ally/Dependent of 'Jeeves'.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post

By jove those books and TV episodes are good!
I think high levels of luck type advantages for Wooster
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote