Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Arith Winterfell

Default Skyrim style animate dead

While I feel like I understand the basics of how to go about creating an "animate dead" effect using allies, I'm looking to create a Skyrim style animate dead spells using the Sorcerer approach from Thaumatology: Sorcery.

For those unfamiliar with Skyrim, the approach taken by the game is that at its most basic animating the dead is a temporary solution. It requires a body to be cast upon and the energies involved break down the body so at the end of its duration the body is consumed by those energies and reduced to useless ash.

Here are a few of the problems I'm trying to figure out:

1. I figure first having to have a body to use the spell on would require something like "Accessibility, Requires Body." However I'm unsure what percentage should be granted for that limitation.

2. I know I'd need summoned and always available as enhancements, however how to a I represent a limited duration of time for the reanimated ally should exist (say for an hour at a time).

3. How would I represent (or would I even give a limitation based on this?) the fact that the body is reduced to useless ash and dust at the end of that animation time preventing it from being reused for animation again?

4. Lastly, I want to have an improved version of the spell that allows you to place a soul gem item on the corpse, which makes it so it isn't reduce to ash at the end of its animation. I'm also unsure how to represent that as well.
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
A Ladder

Default Re: Skyrim style animate dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
While I feel like I understand the basics of how to go about creating an "animate dead" effect using allies, I'm looking to create a Skyrim style animate dead spells using the Sorcerer approach from Thaumatology: Sorcery.

For those unfamiliar with Skyrim, the approach taken by the game is that at its most basic animating the dead is a temporary solution. It requires a body to be cast upon and the energies involved break down the body so at the end of its duration the body is consumed by those energies and reduced to useless ash.

Here are a few of the problems I'm trying to figure out:

1. I figure first having to have a body to use the spell on would require something like "Accessibility, Requires Body." However I'm unsure what percentage should be granted for that limitation.

2. I know I'd need summoned and always available as enhancements, however how to a I represent a limited duration of time for the reanimated ally should exist (say for an hour at a time).

3. How would I represent (or would I even give a limitation based on this?) the fact that the body is reduced to useless ash and dust at the end of that animation time preventing it from being reused for animation again?

4. Lastly, I want to have an improved version of the spell that allows you to place a soul gem item on the corpse, which makes it so it isn't reduce to ash at the end of its animation. I'm also unsure how to represent that as well.
Here's what I use in my games:
Summon Fodder Zombie: Ally (25% power; Constantly x4; Summonable +100%; Requires a dead body -20%; Sorcery -15%; Minion +0%; Fixed Duration +0%) [7]. These zombies last 1 minute of summoning and then revert back to their original dead self. Must have the conjured servant meta trait.

You need a standard zombie template created for this with the following meta trait included in the cost: Conjured Servant: You only exist in our world when summoned here to obey your master. If reduced to -HP, you vanish in a puff of smoke, and can be summoned again within (2×HP) minutes. Regeneration (Fast; Only when dead, -40%) [30]; Unkillable 3 [150]; Automaton [-85]; Fragile (Unnatural) [-50]; Dead Broke [-25]; Neither has nor can spend Fatigue Points (see Machine, p. B263) [0]; and Vanishes when dead [0]. 20 points.

This way you can constantly summon more zombies even after they die.

For increasing the duration just add Extended Duration +x%.

For the "body turns to ash" just add it as a feature to your Zombie Template. Body turns to Ash when Dead [0]. (Which conveniently is what the above Meta Trait has in it).

For the gem thingy: I'd add Extended Duration, Permanent +150%. Can be dispelled by Dispel Magic, No Mana Zones, and by destroying the Undead Gem.

The Ally power level can be leveled up to represent "Greater Zombie Summoning", etc. Also, the power level of the zombie is then based on the power of the spell and not based on the corpse that is used to turn into a zombie.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Langy

Don't use Accessibility to emulate the body requirement. Instead, just have the body be a consumable, probably illegal, Trigger.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Is there anything RAW on how to establish a time limit on a summoned ally? I think this is the hardest part, and something it'd be nice to avoid winging.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Is there anything RAW on how to establish a time limit on a summoned ally? I think this is the hardest part, and something it'd be nice to avoid winging.
How about giving the Zombie a Dependency or Draining?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Giving your ally ability a maximum duration,uses/day, cost FP or similar limitation.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Arith Winterfell

Well the problem is, I'm aiming at making animation a short term solution where you simply animate a dead foe on the battlefield and then use that new ally to fight for you for a limited time.

Part of the aim is to make using reanimated undead as a largely short term answer to needs during a battle, but not running around with an army of corpse or having a cadre of corpse servants.

The body being destroyed at the end is part of that, as it makes making undead for anything other than a short time require more skill (the improved version of the spell) and materials that aren't cheap or super easy to come by.
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Giving your ally ability a maximum duration,uses/day, cost FP or similar limitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
Well the problem is, I'm aiming at making animation a short term solution where you simply animate a dead foe on the battlefield and then use that new ally to fight for you for a limited time.
How does Maximum Duration not do that for you? Costs FP already includes a duration (it only lasts as long as you keep spending FP for it), Trigger already adds a duration limitation, etc etc etc.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Trigger lasts only a single minute. Are Skyrim zombies really that short lived?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Trigger lasts only a single minute. Are Skyrim zombies really that short lived?
Given that 60 seconds of combat in GURPS is an eternity, it might be just about right...

Tags
necromancy, reanimation, sorcery, undead