Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #281
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Greetings, gamerati! I trust you are all shiny and chrome.

This week's post is the second discussing a short GURPS Roll20 encounter I'm GMing for some gaming buddies (you may have missed the first, as I posted last week but neglected to make the usual rounds of announcements). It's from "Mad Max: Fury Road," pitting Furiosa, Max, Capable, and Nux against the Bullet Farmer, Rictus Erectus, and some War Boy henchmen.

I've taken some time to put together as GURPS-friendly a game as I can with the current non-official/fan-created Roll20 tools. Between the two posts, they show the map, tokens, a character sheet, macros, and rollable tables for Random Hit Location, Critical Hits, and Critical Misses.

GURPS on Roll20 isn't perfect, but between the excellent character sheets and easy to create macros/rollable tables, it's pretty damn good. I'm looking forward to running more (longer) one-shots once I get this initial encounter under my belt.

The plan is to record it for posterity, so with luck there should be a video posted in the not-too-distant future. Hope you find the posts useful!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #282
mook

Greetings, Gamers and Geekers!

A little of this, a little of that in the blog pot today.

I talk a bit about my first impressions of using Fantasy Grounds for GURPS, as well as the topic of Virtual TableTops in general.

Then I review a new (to me, anyway) product perfect for GURPS GMs: a foldable dry-erase gameboard with a hex grid. It is *awesome*.

And finally, I dish a little about some genre TV shows I've been watching lately (Legion, Con Man, Preacher, Orphan Black, and Blood Drive).

This week's Scattershot brought to you by a five-day blur of sporadic sleep, TV binges, video game marathons, and looong conversations about GURPS on Fantasy Grounds with a couple of really passionate GMs.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #283
GM Joe

Yeah, Orphan Black got worse in the middle, but the good news is that the series has an ending -- season 5 was announced to be the final one. So, I figured I may as well stick with it. And Season 4 was better, in my estimation.

And, yeah...Legion is awesome! Here's hoping they're able to sustain that level of storytelling for the rest of its run.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #284
mook

Ah! I didn't realize this was Orphan Black's final season. That does actually make me feel better about stickin' with it.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #285
mook

Howdy, Folks!

There's been a lot of discussion recently about getting new players into GURPS by offering more "ready-to-run" items, things that a new group can just grab, quickly digest, and get on with the GURPSin'. Since I've already posted a lot of that sort of thing, I put together this guide to make everything more accessible and easier to find.

Grab and Go is divided into four sections: The Rules, GM Screen, Player Characters, and Adventures, all with links to various Game Geekery posts and game aids that attempt to lower the perceived complexity of GURPS.

It isn't a complete rehash, though... even if you're already familiar with all the old posts, I put together a new four-panel GM Screen that I think is pretty sweet (and it's 12-point font, for us Gamers of a Certain Age).

Hopefully Grab and Go will be useful to new groups starting up that just want to hit the table as soon as they can and see what this whole GURPS thing is about. If that's you... let me know how it goes!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #286
mook

Yet another reformat of the Advantages, Disadvantages, Skills lists -- this time as a spreadsheet!

Why is that cool? Well, mostly because of filtering. With just a click or two you can, for example:
  • Hide all of the Cinematic, Exotic, and Supernatural Advantages for a realistic/mundane game
  • Show only Social Advantages for your new Face character
  • Show only the "Skills every adventurer should know" Skills as a solid base for any new PC
  • Show only the Medical skills to make sure your new Medic character isn't missing anything important
  • Or... hey, whatever you like, it's your game!
Please let me know if you notice any errors, have trouble opening it (especially for non-Windows users with Open Office), have suggestions, etc.

Enjoy.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #287
mook

Greetings, lovers of all things GURPS.

As another GURPSDay rolls around, with a convention coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm looking at how I put together an unofficial (obviously) "Game of Thrones"-inspired one-shot adventure entitled "In Defense of House Stark."

Today, Part 1 covers the basic idea and framework, and what roles the pre-gen PCs will be filling. Part 2 will later cover the actual, finished characters and the likely scenes of the adventure (and, assuming it's finished, a download link for the entire adventure package). Finally, after I actually run it, there will be a post-con wrap-up post talking about how it played at the table.

Hope you continue finding dissections like this helpful in both your own adventure creation and in seeing how GURPS can be applied to genres and settings all across the spectrum.

NOTE: Naturally, this post contains spoilers for the adventure, so if you plan on playing it at Gateway 2017, I'd hold off on reading.

Last edited by mook; 08-17-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #288
mook

A happy, game-filled, creative GURPSDay to all!

In today's Game Geekery post, I finish off the second half of creating the Game of Thrones-inspired convention game, "In Defense of House Stark." I GMed this three times at last weekend's Gateway 2017 and had great fun every time. The story played out differently with each group as well, definitely a plus for me as a GM!

In addition to discussing what went into its creation, the post has a download link to the entire 42-page package: GM notes, maps, pre-gen characters, paper figures... basically, everything you need to run the game yourself if you want to (and if you do -- how did it go?).

This week I'd also like to get the "Post-Con Wrap Up" entry posted to talk about how it ran at the table -- if not, it will go up next Thursday. Other projects I'm working on are making a form-fillable copy of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG character sheet and an even *more* streamlined player handout for future GURPS games, so keep an eye out for those.

Keep on GURPSin'!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #289
GM Joe

I enjoyed the convention write-up. Thanks for posting that!

And I agree, the final day of any convention is special. I always feel sorry for those who bug out early and miss it, but without them leaving it wouldn't be the same. :)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #290
mook

Happy GURPSDay, folks! Got a two-fer for you today.

First, I have completed a form-fillable PDF version of the "Dungeon Fantasy RPG" character sheet, just in time as the Kickstarter shipping notices start going out. You can download it here -- please let me know if you notice any errors, so they can be corrected.

Secondly, I've posted some thoughts on how my three convention one-shots of the "In Defense of House Stark" adventure ran at the table (remember, you can download the full adventure at the above page). All three groups were a delight to GM for, and they all seemed to have a grand time too. Successful weekend!

Tags
blog, blogs