Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #261
Kalzazz

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Doesn't the HT check to remain conscious also decrease as you hit multiples of negative HP?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #262
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Doesn't the HT check to remain conscious also decrease as you hit multiples of negative HP?
That's what I was wondering too. (So for the Vitals, Skull and Eye shots).
Would there be multiple HT checks to remain conscious or just one?
Example: Skull shot, down to -20 HP. Do we roll 1 consciousness check at 0 HP and another one at -1xHP (at HT-1)? or do we just roll 1 consciousness check at HT-1 since Bob is down bellow -1xHP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #263
mook

Quote:
Indeed it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Would there be multiple HT checks to remain conscious or just one?
I'm pretty sure it's just the one.

Thanks for the help! Updating now.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #264
mook

Hey there, GURPS fanatics of all stripes! Welcome to another week of GURPSDay blogging goodness.

First things first, let me note that the Shane Plays RPG radio show and podcast posted a new video this morning entitled "How to Play GURPS," a companion to last year's "How to Make a GURPS Character." It is an actual play and tutorial GMed by MIB Tony Dutra, with the occasional Mook side bars thrown in as we go. Check them out!

Meanwhile, today at Game Geekery I attempt to shed some light on the frequently asked "How do you make a GURPS character?" question myself in the form of a character creation walkthrough with notes and commentary.

This first post is for a modern-day career criminal, the "Face Man" of his group. If readers find it useful I'll post more characters from various genres in the future, so let me know what you think.

As always, thanks for reading! I hope your weekend plans include the rattle and roll of many, many dice.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #265
Kalzazz

Sneaky cliffhangers
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #266
mook

Quote:
Sneaky cliffhangers
I really tried to finish, man, but I just couldn't get through the skills and equipment on such little sleep. :)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #267
mook

Happy GURPSDay, all!

Today I finish off the creation of Frederick Price, the petty criminal and Face Man for a hypothetical crime game. All that remained after Part 1 last week were Skills and Gear, so those are the areas I tackle.

I hope these posts were helpful as examples of putting together a GURPS character.

If I had to boil the system down, it's basically:
* Choose Attributes and Secondary Traits
* Read over the entire list of Disadvantages on pp. 299-300 and pick out a few that fit the character
* Repeat for Advantages (pp. 297-298)
* Repeat for Skills (pp. 301-304)
* Buy necessary weapons, armor, and gear for skills that need it

The biggest challenge to creating a GURPS character is the massive amount of freedom and options available. The Trait Lists on those pages are your friend!

Every time I make a character I read through the whole list, jot down anything that strikes my fancy, then prune those lists down to fit the Character Point budget and the game genre/setting. Naturally, the more you do it the easier it becomes, but making GURPS characters can be a lot of fun all on its own.

Any tips of your own for making GURPS character you'd like to share?

See you next week!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #268
mook

Greetings, gamers and GURPSies!

Today I'm sharing thoughts on the current state of GURPS, the recent Steve Jackson Games "Report to the Stakeholders," the upcoming Dungeon Fantasy boxed set, and the official GURPS Print on Demand books.

Short version? GURPS has some serious challenges ahead, but I fully expect to still be playing it well into the post-apocalyptic collapse of society. (Though, to be fair, that timetable has pushed up dramatically.)

I also ruminate a bit on the continued growth of the Discord community and its use as a place to bring online GMs and Players together (I've recently added a new Google Docs spreadsheet for tracking available games), and how I look forward to hopefully running some of my games online with Roll20 in the next few months.

All in all? It's a wonderful time to be a GURPS player, and crits are in the air! Get out there and chuck some dice.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #269
mook

Hello, and happy GURPSDay to all the GURPians!

Today's post outlines the game I'll be running at the next local convention in May, Gamex 2017. Here is the description blurb:

"As they head back to Earth, a platoon of Colonial Marines receives a distress call from a remote Weyland-Yutani research facility. Initial reports sound like a pirate or corporate attack... but could it be something far more dangerous? Come find out! NO GURPS experience needed."

That's right, we'll be suiting up some Colonial Marines as PCs to take on, I don't know, pirates, or corporate mercenaries, or xenomorphs, or something!
Should be lots of fun, lots of firefights and explosions and carnage, and maybe even a scene of role-playing or two, who knows?

I am having some trouble with parts of the narrative, though, and would to love get some advice on ironing that out. If you've got a few, maybe read and kick me some suggestions?

Until then, I leave you with the immortal words of Sergeant Apone.

"A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I love the Corps!"
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #270
mook

Hiya, "Aliens" fans!

The prep for this game is chugging along nicely, and I seem well on track to being finished for next weekend. I am very pleased with how the adventure turned out, and look forward to sharing all the finished GM notes and player packets for download after the convention.

For now, here are the character sheets for the four pre-gens: Castellano (Corpsman), Rogers (Tech and Repair), Bennett (Smart Gunner), and Garcia (Sniper). If I can find the time, I may make a couple more for variety/backup.

They are 300-point Colonial Marines, ready to get in way over their heads and bring the pain to whoever, or whatever, stands between them and mission completion.

Oorah, GURPSers. Don't disturb any strange eggs...

Tags
blog, blogs