Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #161
rust

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

127. I must not try to convince the players that a certain African dictator
watched the Swan Upping ceremony while visiting London and was so im-
pressed that he decided to introduce such a ceremony in his homeland,
where unfortunately the presence of too many crocodiles caused a lack
of suitable waterfowl, which forced him to replace the swans with hippos,
leading to a quite spectacular yearly ceremony where elderly officials in
historical costumes with powdered whigs perform the Hippo Upping.

Come on, everybody and his brothers and sisters have swans in their cere-
monies, this is utterly boring, but those silly players really refused to honor
my creative attempts to add some nice local color to the setting. Bah.
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #162
Hemlock

128. I am no longer allowed to offend players by creating NPCs who are cariacatures of the players and using them to mock the players til they lose their temper.

128a. This is especially true if the player in question is the Girlfriend of the guy whose house we game at.

128b. I am also never allowed to use the 'It's only a game; grow up' excuse to defend such an action as described above.

128c. If the female cries, I can expect to be ejected from the group for a while ... even though female gamers are supposed to be treated the exact same as male gamers.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #163
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
128c. If the female cries, I can expect to be ejected from the group for a while ... even though female gamers are supposed to be treated the exact same as male gamers.
Hey, you'd probably be ejected from the game if you made one of the guys cry, too...

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #164
KDLadage

129. I am not allowed to start campaigns before I have a fully-fleshed out document explaining the nature of the world and the 'what you already know' information available for the players to read through.

129. (b) I am not allowed to tell my players that the game is going to be a mash-up heroes from all sorts of genres (sort of like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and turn this into a multi-dimensional The Prisoner campaign... no matter how fun it may have been in the end.

Last edited by KDLadage; 07-24-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #165
quarkstomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage View Post
129. (b) I am not allowed to tell my players that the game is going to be a mash-up heroes from all sorts of genres (sort of like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and turn this into a multi-dimensional The Prisoner campaign... no matter how fun it may have been in the end.
I ran a game at a convention like this; although it was a one-shot and not a campaign; the players were aware going into it that they were going to be trying to make sense out of the strange place they've found themselves, and the place was not The Village. At least not obviously so. Number 6 was there as an NPC, but since the players included Luke Skywalker, Agent J from MIB, Kim Possible and Lt. Worf, for all they knew he could have been another reality-displaced character. Unfortunately, I couldn't resist having one of the Rovers show up, which pretty much gave it away that the Village was involved.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #166
DesertCoyote

130) I will not use ranged and affects others to weaponize the hermaphromorph ability.
DesertCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #167
Hemlock

Quote:
130) I will not use ranged and affects others to weaponize the hermaphromorph ability.
130a. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to the disadvantage of Pacifism (total non-violence) to allow me to neutralize NPC 'tanks'.

130b. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to about 10 levels of Magic resistance to allow me to neutralize enemy spellcasters in a DF setting.

130c. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to my PCs Incompetence (driving) to force drivers of other vehicles off the road. Especially if I took about 10 levels of this incompetence.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #168
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCoyote View Post
Quote:
130a. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to the disadvantage of Pacifism (total non-violence) to allow me to neutralize NPC 'tanks'.

130b. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to about 10 levels of Magic resistance to allow me to neutralize enemy spellcasters in a DF setting.

130c. I am not allowed to add 'Ranged' and 'Affects others' to my PCs Incompetence (driving) to force drivers of other vehicles off the road. Especially if I took about 10 levels of this incompetence.
What's wrong with any of these?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #169
RogerBW

Quote:

In GURPS 4th, at least, (a) and (c) are legitimate uses of Affliction with Disadvantage (though of course you don't get multiple levels of Incompetence). (b) is Affliction with Advantage, but the target is still allowed to resist that.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #170
Blood Legend

Quote:
128. I am no longer allowed to offend players by creating NPCs who are cariacatures of the players and using them to mock the players til they lose their temper.
Yes you are.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote