Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #31
brionl

Default Re: Stagnation in Road Combat Designs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Eh, maybe. The people reporting were KPIX channel 5 in San Francisco. I'm too lazy to provide a link, but you can cruise over to their site or to their YouTube site and search for it; Tesla auto accident should do. The fire chief has a different take on the volatility of electric cars when it comes to car fires.

Either way CW is supposed to be cinematic, so there you go :)

But, just as some online gaming communities tweak game engines with "realism patches", so too CW might benefit from a paper and pencil version of the same thing, and maybe new car designs would spring from that effort.
He was killed by running straight into the end of a concrete lane divider at freeway speed. The fire was a minor detail that didn't really cause a lot of damage to the already destroyed vehicle.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04...s-not-perfect/
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 AM   #32
Racer

Saw few articles where they're trying to make Lithium based batteries more Impact/Fireproof :

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/spect...n-hit.amp.html

http://www.eenewseurope.com/news/sep...ies-fire-proof

By late 2030s CW Timeline , I'd of imagined that many of the current problems with batteries/power plants would be ironed out ?
CW PPs only catch fire when hit with direct attack , Fire Modifiers or extreme overwork .
Personally with new multiple Fireproof & Fire resistant technology being incorporated into real life Electric Cars , I'd make first 50% (round down) of a Power Plants Damage Points count as Fireproof : they'd be able to take a hell of a beating before there's any chance of them actually bursting into flames .
Old 10-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #33
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
CW PPs only catch fire when hit with direct attack , Fire Modifiers or extreme overwork ..
I'd always assumed the "fuel cells" were something other than just basic batteries -- given the importance of algae to the CWverse, I saw power plants as "bioengineered algae producing hydrogen, which is then burned in a turbine or similar", the chance of fire and explosion coming from the hydrogen being produced. It would also explain why "recharging" is so short -- instead of dumping electrons, one is replenishing the algae's water supply.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #34
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Saw few articles where they're trying to make Lithium based batteries more Impact/Fireproof :

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/spect...n-hit.amp.html

http://www.eenewseurope.com/news/sep...ies-fire-proof

By late 2030s CW Timeline , I'd of imagined that many of the current problems with batteries/power plants would be ironed out ?
CW PPs only catch fire when hit with direct attack , Fire Modifiers or extreme overwork .
Personally with new multiple Fireproof & Fire resistant technology being incorporated into real life Electric Cars , I'd make first 50% (round down) of a Power Plants Damage Points count as Fireproof : they'd be able to take a hell of a beating before there's any chance of them actually bursting into flames .
The fire chances are probably not too far off what happens when you damage a Lithium battery. I worked at an ultrasound manufacturer and one day a technician put a screwdriver through the casing of a pretty good sized one. We had to evacuate the building due to how much smoke it poured out.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #35
ArchonShiva

More to the point, cars in cinematic combat games should catch fire and explode, not because it’s how cars behave in real life, but because that’s how they behave in action movies!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #36
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
More to the point, cars in cinematic combat games should catch fire and explode, not because it’s how cars behave in real life, but because that’s how they behave in action movies!
I believe this very concept is even stated in the rules.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #37
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'd always assumed the "fuel cells" were something other than just basic batteries -- given the importance of algae to the CWverse, I saw power plants as "bioengineered algae producing hydrogen, which is then burned in a turbine or similar", the chance of fire and explosion coming from the hydrogen being produced. It would also explain why "recharging" is so short -- instead of dumping electrons, one is replenishing the algae's water supply.
GURPS Autoduel also indicates that CW Power Plants are not just batteries (or even standard fuel cells). They are a special unique to CW energy source that is different from the usual ones specified in GURPS vehicles.

Whether it is algae powered or uses "Red Mercury" is for you to decide ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #38
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
There is one minor problem with that: Having been in a few games where everyone blows up at once (lots of Inc. ammo; lousy FE rolls), sometimes the "cinematic explosions" get in the way of actually playing the game....

79er

Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #39
juris

Fire and explosion was the #1 killer in our games. Remember a pedestrian can't move the turn he exits a vehicle, then can't sprint further than 2" away in a single round... that's two bonus rounds where the explosion can kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
There is one minor problem with that: Having been in a few games where everyone blows up at once (lots of Inc. ammo; lousy FE rolls), sometimes the "cinematic explosions" get in the way of actually playing the game....
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #40
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Fire and explosion was the #1 killer in our games. Remember a pedestrian can't move the turn he exits a vehicle, then can't sprint further than 2" away in a single round... that's two bonus rounds where the explosion can kill them.
Exactly -- one has to bail out of a burning vehicle at a speed, and a point in the turn, where the car's momentum will carry it far enough away to not kill the ped; and most of those speeds are fast enough to kill a ped who bails out anyway. Even Ejection Seats might not work, if the ped's already used his firing action that turn, or if the car blows up as he's ejecting.

79er

Tags
road combat designs