Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Parody

Default Re: Car Wars at Conquest Sacramento 2018 March 23-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
The rules are copied onto a forum post regarding the conquest sacramento event, but you're right I should have them on the file post as well. Maybe with the pdf itself.
When I've been drawing up maps for printing, I put notes about that arena in the margins so people can reference them. These notes include things like the angles of ramps, banking of corners, whether something is a jump, if/how you can cause breaches in walls, etc. If there's something our group normally plays differently than the rulebook in that arena, I go with what our group does. (Ex: we often just say various walls are indestructible.)

For example, this is what I put for Warrior Stadium:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Stadium
Arena Notes : The outside walls are 2” high and have 60 DP. The inner walls are 1” high, have 25 DP, and are ¼” wide. The central platform and corner obstructions are 1” high and indestructible. The ramps are at 15 degrees and are also indestructible. The first ¼” of a ramp is treated as an obstacle.
This one could use a little editing and I forgot to include a reminder for how the the ramp angle affects your speed. Something I'll have to fix in a newer version.

I think the wordiest one I've done is Rainbow Bay, filling two of the three boxes between the corners and the gates.

Last edited by Parody; 01-24-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
Chernobyl

I've already ordered the banner/arena for this years' conventions, so its too late to incorporate it in the big version. I'll look into doing something for the 1x scale one.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
I've posted a pdf of the arena map at boardgamegeek.
here is a link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1...uel-exposition
10 gates, 5 teams of two cars.
weapon fire is not allowed until your car has fully crossed a checkered line (A, B, C, D, or E). The checkered lines adjacent to your gate do not count for this.
The dark grey walls near the checkered lines are short enough that you may shoot over them with turrets. They have 15DP, causing this much damage will create a breach 1/4" (x3) in size. I plan to have small stickers to represent these breaches.
Walls that are black lines are essentially indestructible and tall enough to block all weapons fire across them.
The light gray area is the upper level. This is 2" (30 feet) above the ground level. Gates 3,4,7, and 8 are on this upper level. Vehicles on the ground level may pass under the upper level in 2 locations: The entry bridges for 7 and 8; and a tunnel (shown as dotted lines) between a ramp and the gate area for 5 and 6.
There are two ramps between upper and lower levels. Each of these ramps has curves such that using them for jumps is impossible. The upper ramp (near the bridges) is steeper than the lower ramp (near the tunnel). Driving up the upper ramp drops speed by 15 mph and increases it by 15 mph going down. The lower ramp changes vehicle speed by 10 mph.
The shaded green areas are solid staircases covered with grass on top. Each level is 1/4" difference in height, so are impossible to go up them without jump jets. Vehicles which drive off the upper level begin falling immediately, see the jumping and falling rules in the Car Wars Compendium. Maneuvers in grassy areas are +1D in difficulty without offroad tires due to the wet grass. They are flat and level and so there is no damage or other hazard associated with off road travel.
Scoring:
5 Points for completely crossing a checkered line. Cannot cross the same checkered line twice in a row for points.
5 points for finishing a trip up or down a ramp
5 Points for Firepower or Mobility kill (of a vehicle on a different team!)
20 points for fully crossing all checkered lines.
Must exit the arena for your points to score.
some changes in point scoring, also, the banner has shipped!

Last edited by Chernobyl; 01-27-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: new news!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
Chernobyl

Arena came in, looks great. I'll see if I can get some pictures posted before the event.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Chernobyl

thought I'd posted this here but turns out only at BGG.

I'll have the new arena at Great Escape today (Sat Mar 10) at great escape games in sacramento around noon, for a trial run before Conquest Sac. If you're in the area come on down and play!

Eric
Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #16
Chernobyl

Conquest Sacramento is this weekend, if you're in northern California, come on by and have some fun!

Eric
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
Blue Ghost

I wanted to go this weekend, but I'm just not up to it. Post the results though. I want to read what happened.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
Blue Ghost

How did the con go?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #19
Magesmiley

I'm a bit curious about attendance numbers as well. Any demographics you noticed would be of interest to me too.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #20
Chernobyl

I don't have any information about attendance numbers, they did announce a third sacramento area gaming con, this one to be hosted at Great Escape Games in late July.
I had 8 players for the car wars game, had some pretty spectacular crash table results :)
the best was a car sideswiping someone else with a bumper triggered flaming oil slick...the other player wound up vaulting into the air the maximum distance, which put him 30' above the lower level, so he started falling, but since he was still doing 70 mph he flew across the bottom level and hit the far wall, and then fell to the ground. car was still drivable! no front armor or weapons, but still drivable!
game went 17 turns, nobody had all 5 gates but one team was nearly to the 4th. called it after nearly 6 hours of game time (including a lunch break)
Had one driver safely exit the arena on foot after being t-boned by another player right near a gate. when the instigating player got out to run to the gate he got gunned down by the surviving partner...
winning team had 40 points and two surviving players, second place had 20 points and only 1 player, other teams had 15 and 1 surviving player each.
Got a lot of compliments on the arena...has some wide open areas for shooting, some narrow checkpoints for risk taking, and competitors are spread out enough to be able to drive around without constantly being shot from every angle.
Kublacon should be fun! see you there
Also thanks to the Men in Black for prize support, always welcome :)

Eric