Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #41
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Force Sword Techniques -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Another popular house rule for force blades is to allow Power Blow to double their damage.
Actually, that's a optional rule for the Force-Swordsmanship style requiring a Special Set-Up perk. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #42
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
It's a "house rule" because it's a deviation from the "Rules as Written." They're not inferior, they're not worthy of derision.
Oh, I don't see house rules as strictly inferior, it's just that my mind has a very specific thought pattern when it comes to RAW and that doesn't include "This is how this fictional superscience technology functions," but does include things like "This is the Damage, Range, Acc, Bulk, etc for this particular real-world weapon." I'm weird like that.

My previous write-up of the additional Sith Techniques didn't include Seek and Destroy, but just for the heck of it - this is probably Filch using TK (to steal the Jedi's lightsaber) followed by activating and attacking with the lightsaber. Outside of combat time there's no need to define maneuvers (Player: "I use The Force to lift up his lightsaber so it's facing his torso, then I turn it on." GM: "Ok, we'll do a Quick Contest between your Filch and his Perception, and if you get away with it you can make an attack roll to successfully hit him."), but within combat time this would probably be more like a grapple of the lightsaber followed by some Trakata.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
But it doesn't say that in the Basic Set, so there is a conflicting description. Usually, the latter book is correct - but that makes doing some of the speedy draw tricks with force swords impossible. You can Fast-Draw the sword from your belt as a Free Action, but you have to wait a second to use it. That doesn't smell right to me. Time to call in the PTB, you think SP?
Meh, I think this is a non-issue. Only if you absolutely insist that force swords work only as described in Ultra-Tech, does it matter. It seems to be an artificial condition of this thread, not a hard rule about possible variants of generic laser swords in GURPS.

I think that the force sword in Ultra-Tech is supposed to work like that, though sure. It says very definitely:
Quote:
A force sword may be activated as it is being readied on a successful Fast-Draw roll. Otherwise, it takes a Ready maneuver to activate it. In either case, it takes one second for the blade to form and stabilize.
Of course, it doesn't actually say what that means...

You probably can't Fast-Draw and attack with it on the same turn. You can still attack with a different weapon or take a different maneuver instead so Fast-Draw isn't wasted. Maybe you can parry with it on that first turn, not sure.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yes, rules about superscience devices are indeed Rules As Written. When I think RAW, however, I don't think "Rules As Written," I think "not house rules."
The rules on Ultra-Tech p. 166 clearly aren't house rules.
Quote:
I don't consider superscience devices that function differently than the default assumption as "house rules" so much as a slightly different take on the technology, just as I wouldn't consider fully ablative or completely nonablative force screens (or calling "Force Screens" as "Forcefields") as house rules. It's just a quirk with the way I think, perhaps.
No, I understand this. I document campaign specific technology, spells, and so on just as technology, spells and so on. I only list changes to rules as house rules.

However I thought the OP wanted to use the stats and rules from Ultra-Tech p. 166, by specifying "GURPS force sword" unless I am missing something.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #45
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Meh, I think this is a non-issue. Only if you absolutely insist that force swords work only as described in Ultra-Tech, does it matter. It seems to be an artificial condition of this thread, not a hard rule about possible variants of generic laser swords in GURPS.

I think that the force sword in Ultra-Tech is supposed to work like that, though sure. It says very definitely:

Of course, it doesn't actually say what that means...

You probably can't Fast-Draw and attack with it on the same turn. You can still attack with a different weapon or take a different maneuver instead so Fast-Draw isn't wasted. Maybe you can parry with it on that first turn, not sure.
Which is annoying. :-/ I wouldn't hamper someone buying a force sword - Fast-Draw (Force Sword) should allow a instant activation otherwise you are better buying a non-energy weapon with some form of ultra-tech enhancement. Superfine or monowire or a vibroblade or the like.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #46
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Which is annoying. :-/ I wouldn't hamper someone buying a force sword - Fast-Draw (Force Sword) should allow a instant activation otherwise you are better buying a non-energy weapon with some form of ultra-tech enhancement. Superfine or monowire or a vibroblade or the like.
Given it's obvious origin, I don't think many force swords are actually bought rather than inherited or made. Even Louis D’Antares is basically a French Jedi.

That said, if you use the description from Ultra-Tech as is you still need to come up with an interpretation of what it actually means.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #47
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

However I thought the OP wanted to use the stats and rules from Ultra-Tech p. 166, by specifying "GURPS force sword" unless I am missing something.
You are not missing anything. Lets start with what is defined in UT and discuss what RAW states and implies then variations can be put forward or examples of different technology discussed as a means to achieve an effect that the RAW seems to not allow etc.

Sad to say I am going to be incommunicado for two weeks.

Tags
combat, force sword, lightsaber, techniques, trakata