Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #21
Gef

Default Re: Mages really hurt by the battle fatigue costs?

Don't forget Breath Control. It's poetentially better than Recover Energy, especially if you have a Talent for all the non-spell skills a battlemage should know.

Also don't forget that the minimum cost for ER 30 is just 18 points (with, say, Fave College Only and Granted By Familiar.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
scc

Breath Control doesn't actually help that much, Recover Energy at skill 20 recovers energy at the same rate, and with out a potentially disastores (sp) skill roll

Of course ER at skill 20 costs a lot, but BC will to at a high enough level to be reliable (Remember, one roll per point of FP recovered)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #23
gilbertocarlos

Recover Energy is only after battle. During battle you'll want manastones or powerstones. Also, don't fill all your wineskin, a quart of water is enough unless you're on the desert.

Remaking your equipment:
Clothes: 2lbs
Staff: 4lbs
Knife: 0.5lbs
Bunch of mana/powerstones: 0.5lbs
Battleload: 7lbs

Dropped or put on the mule:
Wineskin 3lbs(a little over a quart of water)
backback 3lbs
blanket 4lbs
personal basics 1lb

All of that and still less than 20lbs. You still can buy 13lbs of armor, and trade the knife for a sword. Also, you can have extra 9lbs for out of combat stuff like books, food etc... You'll be on light load, but outside combat it doesn't matter much.

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 02-24-2014 at 10:18 PM.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #24
Gef

Y'know, once ya have Magery 2 or more, Weapon Master for Staff is only 4 points as an alternate ability.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #25
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Breath Control doesn't actually help that much, Recover Energy at skill 20 recovers energy at the same rate, and with out a potentially disastores (sp) skill roll

Of course ER at skill 20 costs a lot, but BC will to at a high enough level to be reliable (Remember, one roll per point of FP recovered)
One could house rule that Breath Control doen't work on FP spent on magic. And it'd make sense for Breath Control do to nothing to help recover ER.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #26
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Dropped or put on the mule:
Wineskin 3lbs(a little over a quart of water)
backback 3lbs
blanket 4lbs
personal basics 1lb
Unless you expect to do a lot of looting (e.g. as in DF, and if you can't rely on the other adventurers carrying your loot for you) then you really don't need a 3 lbs backback as a Wizard. What would be in it? A couple of pouches on your belt (0.5 lbs for 3 roomy pouches), and a light harness (0.5 lb) to carry your blanket, is probably enough.

Even in terms of looting, it makes senes for a Wizard PC to opt for loot that has a high value-to-mass ratio, especially magical loot. But of course, party dynamics...
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #27
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Y'know, once ya have Magery 2 or more, Weapon Master for Staff is only 4 points as an alternate ability.
From what I understand (from my limited perusal of the books... sigh...), "alternate ability" has its price break because of either (based off of memory here) it taking time to switch between abilities and/or the linked alternate abilities being able to BOTH be blocked if either gets blocked.

What blocks Weapon Master? What blocks Magery? (Yes, low-mana and no-mana blocks mana, but I don't think it blocks Magery.)

Mind you, cool idea. If you run out of fatigue and/or energy reserve, start whacking them with the staff.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
From what I understand (from my limited perusal of the books... sigh...), "alternate ability" has its price break because of either (based off of memory here) it taking time to switch between abilities and/or the linked alternate abilities being able to BOTH be blocked if either gets blocked.

What blocks Weapon Master? What blocks Magery? (Yes, low-mana and no-mana blocks mana, but I don't think it blocks Magery.)
Weapon Master is normally a mundane ability, but if you slap a Power Modifier onto it, it can become some kind of supernatural ability. E.g. -10% Magical. That means that anything that can block Magery or other forms of "arcane" magic also nullifies Weapon Master.

Problem solved!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #29
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
That means that anything that can block Magery
What can block Magery, though?

I guess some sort of "magic-suppressing" manacles?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #30
DavidSev

No mana kill magery, and is very commons in dungeons and the like. Plenty of spells, items, poisons, and all sorts of other things have been made specifically to mess with mages, and again are very common in the sorts of places PC go to fight.

Alternate abilities don't work at the same time. So when you want to use WM with your staff, your magery goes away and some of your spells switch off and you can't cast etc. The whole point of having the staff is that you can cast through it, having the staff as an alt of magery kinda defeats the point and you may as well get a better weapon instead.
DavidSev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, fatigue points, magery