Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #161
Parody

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Slight problem with Sidecars : Sidecars should be able to have Sloped Armor SEPARATELY from the Cycle ?
Sidecars are built separately from cycles and are allowed to have different armor types. Maybe that shouldn't include sloping, but I'm not too motivated about it since I'd rather have a trike than a cycle+sidecar.

Quote:
Also I'm not sure if the Rule is still enforced , but a Cycle Turret Sidecar used to REQUIRED to mount at least 1pt of Armour on all 6 Facings & not place it all on Top position?
It's still there in the UACFH. Turret Sidecars have an extra space in which you could put an item with DP, so you might want to protect it.

Quote:
Sidecars ( and some aspects if Cycles in general ... ) are extremely ineffective in the modern Game , and really could do with a huge revamp ... :-\
Oddly enough, the SJG folks have been working on a complete revamp of the game! :)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #162
Racer

Thanks & I hope they're working on quickly :-)

Garage really needs Sonic Cannons , as used correctly the are extremely effective in the right circumstances . Sweeping rubble for Pedestrians in hiding for snipering ...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #163
ammulder

Quote:
Builder won't allow front corner mounts on Buses & Semi Trailers for some reason , plus you can't mount Drop Gases Front , LF , RF or TF at all . These are fine on Cars , 10-Wheelers and 20-30 Foot Car Trailers.
Resurrecting an old comment, but the rules explicitly say no dropped weapons on the front half of a semi trailer or bus (and corner mounts only allow dropped weapons, therefore no front corner mounts).
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #164
ammulder

Quote:
Just noticed that builder seems to allow Cycles to have front mounted Slicks ? Didn't think that was legal ?
The rules say "Any car, cycle, or trike with racing slicks on all its wheels..." which suggests to me that a cycle can have a front slick.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #165
oscar1-1

I'm know I'm doing something wrong, most of the tick boxes aren't working for me and I want to play with badly designed bicycles.

I've tried different browsers, upgraded to Windows 10, done virus things, made appropriate burnt offerings and sworn to/at various cybergods, but still can't get the boxes to work!

Could you help me out please?

Many thanks

Oz
oscar1-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 AM   #166
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Resurrecting an old comment, but the rules explicitly say no dropped weapons on the front half of a semi trailer or bus (and corner mounts only allow dropped weapons, therefore no front corner mounts).
Gas Weapons & Dropped Weapons are two different things . See pages 44-45 of CWC 2.5 :
"Dropped Weapons
Minsdroppers, Spikedroppers, Oil Jets and
Flaming Oil Jets are dropped weapons.

The Quinine Trailer from page 50 of VG2 has Smokescreens with two mags each mounted LF, RF, LB, RB and B , along with an MG in each of those locations .

Last edited by Racer; 08-19-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #167
ammulder

I have to admit to a bit of skepticism toward the claim that the class of weapons officially designated "Dropped Gasses" are not "Dropped Weapons"...

But if others want to weigh in on this, I could be convinced.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #168
43Supporter

Quote:
I have to admit to a bit of skepticism toward the claim that the class of weapons officially designated "Dropped Gasses" are not "Dropped Weapons"...

My ruling has always been: "If it leaves a counter on the map at any point, it's a Dropped Weapon". (This includes impact-fused grenades; the counter is "on the map" for as long as it takes to determine where it ended up.)

After one too many Racing events ended when the first person over the "weapons active" line would FCE the field to death....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #169
Racer

Unfortunately the wording & phrasing is very poor - almost the norm for some CW rules .

We've played for years using this logic :
DEFENSIVE GAS Weapons - Smoke & Paint - can be placed anywhere . This includes Gas Streamers.

OFFENSIVE GAS Weapons : FCGS, FCE , Toxin Gas , can only placed on the RB , LB , TB , UB . HOWEVER as FCGS can be placed in Std. Turrets , they CAN be used in Sponson Turrets RF & LF .
This was decided under our 'Rules of Logic' and has worked extremely well for our Groups since 1999 .

Also gives some Concealment to Front locations , from suicidal low level LG Rocket or Teleguided Bombing attacks from Micrplanes & Helicopters . A Tractor-Trailer combo worth about $400,000 being wreaked by a 250lb Bomb smashing into the Tractors front grill ... with no real way of stopping it . 6 VMG shots just bounced of the Choppers Metal Armour ...
Without some sort of cover to ward off these kind of assaults , it would soon put off players using Oversized Vehicles .

Last edited by Racer; 08-23-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #170
Magesmiley

Quote:

I'd definitely concur that the phrasing in this area is decidedly subpar, and it looks like this might be a case of editing over the years yielding some muddy interpretations.

Originally (way back in the pocket box), it made sense to have separate sections - oil, mines, and spikes could only be back mounted, whereas paint and smoke could be back or side mounted.

Things evolved over the years though, with the allowed locations for dropped weapons growing. However the paint and smoke section does not appear to have received significant editing. The dropped weapon section does include passages referring to smoke from flamethrowers and also gas streamers, which leads me to believe that the editors intended the dropped weapon section to apply to gas weapons as well.

It is worth noting that the limitation on not being able to place weapons on the front half of a trailer is older than front-mounted dropped weapons being allowed at all (not to mention top and corner mounts). And the rules seem to allow front-mounted dropped weapons on a trailer.

So, in this case, I think that the clause not allowing dropped weapons on the front half of a trailer is an editorial oversight that should have been removed when the sides which dropped weapons can be mounted on was expanded.

Interestingly, from what I can see, the placement of side-mounted dropped weapons on oversized vehicles is another place where the rules have some ambiguity. They don't actually define where the center of the "car" would be for trailers. IMO, one should use the forward-most and rear-most black dots on the side of the counter to define where the center of the front/back side mount locations are.

As always, just my opinion, but I think that front-side mounts should be allowed on trailers. Keeping in mind that they might not be a good idea, as the trailer's rear-half will probably also be affected by said weapons.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote