Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
corwyn

Default Runtime error 76

I recently reinstalled Windows 7. GCA installed and ran fine but just now I got the following error:

"Runtime error 76Path not Found"

I hadn't changed any settings, added or modded any data files or anything else. I reinstalled and got the same error. Any suggestions? Kinda on a limited time frame as I'm playing tonight.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Runtime error 76

A path reference that GCA probably had stored is likely different now. You can check out the GCA.INI file manually to see if you can see it and fix it. It's found in the "%AppData%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4" folder.

Or, you can run the GCAClearAppData.exe in your install folder, which will remove all your options and settings, and will likely fix things. At the expense of all your settings.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
A path reference that GCA probably had stored is likely different now. You can check out the GCA.INI file manually to see if you can see it and fix it. It's found in the "%AppData%\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4" folder.

Or, you can run the GCAClearAppData.exe in your install folder, which will remove all your options and settings, and will likely fix things. At the expense of all your settings.
Well it's a new install on a new os install so that should be ok.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Oh, this just occurred to me:

If you get the error when you're loading a character, it's possible that the problem is in the character. That, you'd have to fix manually, but isn't hard.

You'd open the character in Notepad (be sure to use a program that loads/saves plain text, and doesn't insert new line breaks!), then look at the top few lines under [General]. You'll have a number of lines for sheets, and those may have path info in them. You can delete those entire lines.

That shouldn't be a problem, but I seem to recall some earlier versions of GCA didn't error trap those properly, so some bad path info occasionally got in there, and that can mess things up when trying to get sheet options, or display quick view.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case your issue was during character loading instead of actually GCA loading.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
corwyn

Nope, it was in running the program. I cleared the appdata like was suggested and it fixed it just fine since I had no settings to speak of but thanks for the help.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

You're welcome. Glad you're fixed.