Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Regular site outages around 0911 UTC

Greetings, all!

For the last several days, I noticed several instances of the site being down, starting at about 0911 UTC and lasting no more than an hour in general (and no more than a few minutes today). The precise timing makes it look like it's intentional, but the high frequency looks like an argument against that guess, as an uptime limit of 24h seems on the low side. Is this/there a known issue? If yes, what's happening?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Regular site outages around 0911 UTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

For the last several days, I noticed several instances of the site being down, starting at about 0911 UTC and lasting no more than an hour in general (and no more than a few minutes today). The precise timing makes it look like it's intentional, but the high frequency looks like an argument against that guess, as an uptime limit of 24h seems on the low side. Is this/there a known issue? If yes, what's happening?
Just after 3 AM Austin time? If it's not on purpose the first place I'd look is the Windows Update manager, which defaults to 3 AM. I've had it get stuck and redownload and then (fail) to autoinstall on my system every morning before.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
For the last several days, I noticed several instances of the site being down, starting at about 0911 UTC and lasting no more than an hour in general (and no more than a few minutes today).
I've experienced this regularly for several years. I raised it, and SJG were reasonably sure it wasn't happening on their end. I can see plenty of other websites while it's happening, so it doesn't seem to be at my end.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I've experienced this regularly for several years. I raised it, and SJG were reasonably sure it wasn't happening on their end. I can see plenty of other websites while it's happening, so it doesn't seem to be at my end.
I checked through http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/, and it said SJG was down whenever I experienced it being down, so definitely not on my end.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

I used to experience this constantly, when I went to bed a bit later than I do now. I used to always browse the SJGames forums before bed, and I'd constantly find the site completely unresponsive for just a few minutes. I don't believe I ever had to wait more than five minutes for it to come back, though.

I always just assumed they had some automatic server maintenance job that ran around then, and was intensive enough to hang the server for a few minutes.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I checked through http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/, and it said SJG was down whenever I experienced it being down, so definitely not on my end.
I'll try that tomorrow morning.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Tried this morning when I couldn't contact the forums at about 9:14 UTC (my first attempt of the day), and it agreed the forums were down, although they came back within a minute from then.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Today I observed a similar outage one hour earlier than usual. (I have no idea how long it lasted, as I was AFK from soon after the outage started and until this minute.)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Today I observed a similar outage one hour earlier than usual.
The US just went onto daylight savings time.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

Yes, as a regular pattern, I experienced this as well, right around the 04:00am EST hour - if that info helps.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote