Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
arnej

Default Illusions as Communication Devices

So, I have a character with several Illusion spells. I started playing around with it for communication purposes. For example:
  1. An illusion of a statue that speaks when I concentrate, even if I'm not in the room.
  2. An illusion of a parrot that speaks from a PC's shoulder
  3. An illusion of a brooch with a face on it that goes on the leader's vest, that talks when I concentrate on it
Do those seem kosher? I was most worried about the last, after a thread over on reddit wrt to Illusions moving around.

Thoughts?
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Illusions as Communication Devices

Those are doable, though Illusions are mostly area spells. You need to give them Independence and/or Initiative for them to move around on their own.
Consider doing that with Inscribe too.
For the broach thing I would go with a variant on Illusion Disguise.
However all these will only work with limited presets, a variant on Control Illusion ... say a Long Range version that lets you temporarily take over known illusions to let you communicate through them might be an option.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
However all these will only work with limited presets, a variant on Control Illusion ... say a Long Range version that lets you temporarily take over known illusions to let you communicate through them might be an option.
I'll look into your suggestions around Independence, et al.

As for the last here, I was under the impression that a wizard could control his illusions ("Move to a different area, or change size or shape") just by concentrating. My character is still maintaining them, after all.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post
I'll look into your suggestions around Independence, et al.

As for the last here, I was under the impression that a wizard could control his illusions ("Move to a different area, or change size or shape") just by concentrating. My character is still maintaining them, after all.
Yes, but if your concentrating on an illusion your hampered in doing anything else. And if the illusion goes out of sight (such as possible in your broach example) you wont know when or how to respond to circumstances without some other magic.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Astromancer

The Broach seems the best to me. Perhaps it needs an Empathy and Communication college spell rather than an Illusion and Creation spell.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
illusions, magic